KISS Linux for Pinebook Pro
I've built a version of KISS Linux for aarch64, available here:  https://github.com/jedavies-dev/kiss-aarch64

For information on KISS Linux please see the main distro page:  https://k1ss.org

KISS Linux is x86_64 only.  However I wanted to run this on the Pinebook Pro, so have built an aarch64 version.  I'm posting this here in case anyone else is interested and to get feedback. Have been using this on my PBP for about a month so far.

Please note that this is a work in progress. For now I only provide a root tarball (same as x86_64) so you must install this from another distro using a chroot.  For example you can install KISS onto an SD card by booting into the default Debian running on the eMMC drive.  I may also provide a bootable .img file in future though.

Please note that this is an unofficial port of KISS Linux and is not supported by Dylan Araps (the creator of KISS Linux).  However I also sometimes hang around in #kisslinux on Freenode if you have questions.

Thanks,
James
(02-28-2020, 11:54 AM)jedavies-dev Wrote: I've built a version of KISS Linux for aarch64, available here:  https://github.com/jedavies-dev/kiss-aarch64

For information on KISS Linux please see the main distro page:  https://k1ss.org

KISS Linux is x86_64 only.  However I wanted to run this on the Pinebook Pro, so have built an aarch64 version.  I'm posting this here in case anyone else is interested and to get feedback. Have been using this on my PBP for about a month so far.

Please note that this is a work in progress. For now I only provide a root tarball (same as x86_64) so you must install this from another distro using a chroot.  For example you can install KISS onto an SD card by booting into the default Debian running on the eMMC drive.  I may also provide a bootable .img file in future though.

Please note that this is an unofficial port of KISS Linux and is not supported by Dylan Araps (the creator of KISS Linux).  However I also sometimes hang around in #kisslinux on Freenode if you have questions.

Thanks,
James

Thanks on porting Kiss Linux for Pinebook Pro :-)
(02-28-2020, 11:54 AM)jedavies-dev Wrote: ...
Hi James.

Is there a chance to get a .img ?
I had a look at the install instructions but have to admit that I still have some questions, especially about how to get to a kernel...
(11-29-2020, 04:02 PM)Surehand53 Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 11:54 AM)jedavies-dev Wrote: ...
Hi James.

Is there a chance to get a .img ?
I had a look at the install instructions but have to admit that I still have some questions, especially about how to get to a kernel...

So, I have some initial progress. From the description and iin the repo I put a few pieces together to start:

download tarball from repro -> kiss-chroot-aarch64-2020.9-1.tar.xz  (Or whatever is newest)

```
tar xf kiss-chroot-aarch64-2020.9-1.tar.xz
```

this gives the new folder `kiss-aarch64-testroot`

Start chroot
```
sudo ./kiss-aarch64-testroot/bin/kiss_chroot ./kiss-aarch64-testroot
```

make sure to be in the home folder `/root`
```
cd
```

Download the repro
```
mkdir repos && cd repos
git clone https://github.com/jedavies-dev/kiss-aarch64.git
```

export the `KISS_PATH`
```
export KISS_PATH=/root/repos/kiss-aarch64/core:/root/repos/kiss-aarch64/overrides:/root/repos/kiss-aarch64/extra:/root/repos/kiss-aarch64/modules/repo/extra:/root/repos/kiss-aarch64/modules/repo/xorg
```

export `KISS_SU`
```
export KISS_SU=su
```

export build flags as given for the tarball release:
```
export CFLAGS="-mcpu=generic -mtune=generic -Os -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=generic -mtune=generic -Os -pipe"
export MAKEFLAGS="-j6"
```

start the kiss update
```
kiss u
```

In my case I got the mesaage to update the package manager first -> press `Enter`

After that start the update again
```
kiss u
```
In my case I was asked to agree to build some dependencies -> press `Enter` and wait... a lot. (~15 min in my case)

-------------------------------
So I think this creates the system.
I am less clear how to move on from here. I think it is time to get a kernel ? Should I copy that from Manjaro or compile the Manjaro one? And then it needs to be copied where ? And how exactly do I create the uBoot ?
Hi Surehand53,
The GitHub page has details on the kernel and bootloader if you want to build these yourself.

If you don't want to build your own kernel/bootloader and have a spare SD card with Manjaro installed on it, you can use the ready built kernel and bootloader from there.

I'm currently using a build of the tsys Manjaro kernel as linked on the GitHub page. Not sure how close the mainline kernel is to being usable on the PBP - it may be possible now, but I haven't tried this in a while.

Note you don't have to use the generic build flags on your own machine. I used the generic flags when creating the tarball so that it could be used on any aarch64 device. When building packages for yourself you can use flags more tailored to the PBP - see the GitHub page for details.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 438 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,108 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 203 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,911 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,606 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,321 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600