Better (than default Debian/MATE) Linux distro?
Awesome! My first one .... and it works! :-)
@mrjay
Flashing with etcher, no partition table
Despite that, I can open with dolphin, browse fs
Could I assume sector 0 is blank?
Is there 1 partition starting at 16M,,,,,32768 sectors?
Or 2? If so, sector count please
How well does it do viz sleep?

>u-boot is a "leftover" from previous installs
Well, all uboots are not equal, whose install did you start with?
It is a partition image not disk image so partition table needs to be created

I'm flashing it with command:

sudo dd if=generated/ubuntu_20.04_gnome.img of=/dev/mmcblk1p1 bs=1024k status=progress

where mmcblk1p1 is a sdcard partition, uboot looks for /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf on partition

About u-boot ... i'm not sure if it comes from stock debian, ayufan ubuntu or manjaro ... this three i've tested before.
I do know that it boots nvme as my emmc boot part is blank.

About sleep ... with nvme it doesn't sleep ... without nvme it should sleep... kernel is from tsys manjaro source so same sleep issues in both systems

Btw. TSYS is working on mainlining kernel patches so in a few months there should be mainline kernel with pbp support
So, I think this means that uboot is not part of the image,
We have to pick whichever uboot (and idbloader, ATF) that we wish for the 1st 16M,,,
and since only one partition fdisk is easy
As to sleep, 5%/day is completely acceptable.
I think,IIRR strit on manjaro forum said S2 sleep needed 5.5.0-3-1 kernel (or better)
If this is the same as this, well I'll see
--edit--
Seems OK, I quickly change from gnome, I have a quite severe and visceral dislike
dd'd 16M /dev/zero, then 16M manjaro (1st 16) then fdisk, then dd ,, zcat ubuntu.img.gz|dd ............. blk1p1
It is sleeping now, until morning "wake up", to see how it will do
And, BTW automatically found printer, using driverless, a slightly different version of airprint/bonjour
--edit-- 12 hours later
so, no good for sleep, won't wake up,,, after a hard reset, used 50%+ power, 13hours
Bluetooth needs (perhaps) manjaro firmware
journalctl was no help at all re sleep, god do I hate systemd spaghetti
Oh yes, have to set xrender or screen goes transparent
would you have a suggestion on what OS would be able to run all or most of the following apps (on the pinebook pro of course):
  • thunderbird
  • firefox
  • libreoffice
  • signal desktop (signal private messenger)
  • nextcloud client (owncloud client is also good enough)
running ubuntu 18.04.4 by ayufan at the moment. signal, skype and nextcloud are not available or working.
(03-21-2020, 04:00 AM)lenu Wrote: would you have a suggestion on what OS would be able to run all or most of the following apps (on the pinebook pro of course):
  • thunderbird
  • firefox
  • libreoffice
  • signal desktop (signal private messenger)
  • nextcloud client (owncloud client is also good enough)
running ubuntu 18.04.4 by ayufan at the moment. signal, skype and nextcloud are not available or working.

Unfortunately signal desktop is not available for ARM, so the answer is none. Skype doesn't have an ARM app either, but can be used on a browser tab.
see this thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9452  .    Signal is available for arm64,  but is packaged for Manjaro/arch right now..
(03-22-2020, 07:06 AM)as400 Wrote: Signal and Wire desktop apps for aarch64 added to the repo.
@mspohr thank you very much for this system, I am using it as a daily driver.
I am just curious, are you doing some kernel update from time to time? If so, how?
(04-15-2020, 06:22 AM)Wizzard Wrote: @mspohr thank you very much for this system, I am using it as a daily driver.
I am just curious, are you doing some kernel update from time to time? If so, how?

Iḿ curious about that too. And I would wish there was someone who could roll this into a a complete image. I think that's a bit above my current level of ablility, but I'd be willing to try if there were others who could point in the right directions on how to do this.
(04-15-2020, 06:22 AM)Wizzard Wrote: @mspohr thank you very much for this system, I am using it as a daily driver.

I am using the default distro (Debian GNU/Linux 9) but it doesn't seem to be very well supported. I can't update Chromium to the latest version; printing is flaky; etc. I regularly do a sudo apt-get update/upgrade but not much seems to change.
I'd like to try Manjaro or Ubuntu but I'm not clear on how to install them. I've downloaded Manjaro and used Etcher to put it on a card but it won't boot. I did get some earlier version of Manjaro to boot but it didn't support dual monitors and some other stuff and I wasn't able to install it on the internal memory.

Looking for some clear instructions on how to install other distros.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 447 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 208 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Nethunter default password failed lamlarryyyy 0 267 11-23-2023, 02:48 AM
Last Post: lamlarryyyy
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,830 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,032 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,325 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,829 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 607 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro Luke 100 156,211 05-03-2023, 06:10 AM
Last Post: dachalife
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,200 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4