Problems with UBPorts downloads
  I have been fairly impressed with the progress UBPorts is making with each new release.

BUT

I have not been able to complete a download of their Feb. 25, 2020 edition.

I have made over 40 'failed' attempts starting about 2 hours after they released it until about

12 hours after this release.

The download speeds vary greatly from 100+kb/sec to 3mb/sec, 
   wondering if there is a server problem or too many attempting to download at the same time ?

Any one else having this problem ?  OR  Just me,  maybe the problem is at my end...?

UPDATE :
I have found that just clicking "retry" does continue the download...
AND so far these downloads have worked when I flash them using Balena Etcher....

Just a bit Frustrating, sometimes it is just a few 'retrys'
Sometimes many 'Retrys'
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I can confirm that I observed the same issue.
Have your tried wget --https-only? My experience has been the download gets interrupted after about 1 minute as if they want us to have a very fast download capability. Still, wget --https-only will resume the transfer after a few seconds. Then one must verify the compressed file is okay using one of the 7zip options. I think it took 3 downloads, all with interruptions, before I got a valid compressed file. Still, it's fairly fast and not too much trouble.

soyrunner
I cant even get the download to finish using a browser unless I sit there pressing retry over and over. I've resorted to downloading the new releases with wget using infinite tries.

Code:
wget --tries=0  https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/lastBuild/artifact/ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img.gz
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
(02-29-2020, 12:34 AM)d0n601 Wrote: I cant even get the download to finish using a browser unless I sit there pressing retry over and over. I've resorted to downloading the new releases with wget using infinite tries.

Code:
wget --tries=0  https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/lastBuild/artifact/ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img.gz

I just got the image using wget without any problems.  Took ~5 min to Hanover, NH, USA.
(03-02-2020, 09:43 AM)wtdonnelly Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 12:34 AM)d0n601 Wrote: I cant even get the download to finish using a browser unless I sit there pressing retry over and over. I've resorted to downloading the new releases with wget using infinite tries.

Code:

I just got the image using wget without any problems.  Took ~5 min to Hanover, NH, USA.

It was really bad for a couple days. Now I'm getting similar results as this. My speeds have jumped up to Mb/s as opposed to a like 100k/s and it doesn't disconnect me anymore during the downloads. Odd but a welcomed changed Smile
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
I guess part of it is just the nature of the WWW internet.

I installed a new copy of Firefox Quantum and while the speed did vary a bit, it completed the download without disconnecting even once.

BUT,  the next day even the 'new' browser disconnected a few times.

I tried the download from my sons house, it finished in mere minutes never dropping under 3mb/sec.

....  so far all the downloads have loaded and played from the SD cards,  that's what matters.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
another update :
I am wondering if there is some kind of censorship on some lines into the USA ?
UT #270, it disconnected an average of about 30mb between disconnect/retry.
speeds as low as 7.4 kb/sec... This was doing the 1+gb download.
I am paying over $110. USD monthly to Trans/World for this kind of service...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
NEW Problem with UBPorts downloads :
When I attempt to flash the July 21 download with Balena Etcher it freezes before it gets half way done with the flash ?
Instead of being about 4gb it looks to be 15+gb when it is extracted ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,422 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,181 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Udating the firm,ware? Potential problems? KNERD 2 823 06-12-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  Lost password on second hand Ubports PinePhone? Peter Gamma 6 3,248 04-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
Question Modem problems with the distros I tried UltraBlack_ 9 5,091 02-21-2022, 01:57 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  PinePhone For Sale (UBports Edition) Joelandsonja 3 3,186 08-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Joelandsonja
  [sold]. Pinephone UBPorts - upgraded mainboard for sale elastic 1 1,541 08-10-2021, 04:19 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  Upgraded Modem Failing To Register On UBPorts Edition DingDangDoong 9 4,265 08-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Problems with Pinephone camera ov5640 wfk 0 1,373 06-29-2021, 01:53 AM
Last Post: wfk
Sad Problems with PINE64 Support Astilex 1 2,407 04-05-2021, 12:48 AM
Last Post: tllim