Out of stock
(03-10-2020, 09:31 AM)decisivedove Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 02:44 PM)KNERD Wrote: A good reason to look for other places than just China for manufacturing.

Yes. But we must also note that manufacturing anywhere else will be very expensive and for PINE64 which makes no profit from it's products, would be very costly and inefficient. Imagine a $500 Pinebook Pro. The exact same thing but no one would buy it, giving a bad reputation to ARM and the open-sourse community. We must realize that when it comes to open-source hardware, there are not many options.

Last I looked, things were being manufactured inexpensively in Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, and a few other places.
(03-10-2020, 01:07 PM)KNERD Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 02:44 PM)KNERD Wrote: A good reason to look for other places than just China for manufacturing.

Yes. But we must also note that manufacturing anywhere else will be very expensive and for PINE64 which makes no profit from it's products, would be very costly and inefficient. Imagine a $500 Pinebook Pro. The exact same thing but no one would buy it, giving a bad reputation to ARM and the open-sourse community. We must realize that when it comes to open-source hardware, there are not many options.

Last I looked, things were being manufactured inexpensively in Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, and a few other places.

I am sorry for my ignorance. I was thinking of the US or Europe. Setting up a new place to start manufacturing will require an initial investment, which might be difficult for a non-profit like pine64 to make. However, it might actually be something to consider if things like coronavirus actually cause more loss.

Also, an outbreak could happen anywhere in the world. There is nothing which says that tommorow it won't happen anywhere else.
(03-10-2020, 08:41 PM)decisivedove Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 01:07 PM)KNERD Wrote:

I am sorry for my ignorance. I was thinking of the US or Europe. Setting up a new place to start manufacturing will require an initial investment, which might be difficult for a non-profit like pine64 to make. However, it might actually be something to consider if things like coronavirus actually cause more loss.

Also, an outbreak could happen anywhere in the world. There is nothing which says that tommorow it won't happen anywhere else.

What I mean is to diversify. A project here, a project there. Not just China.  That way it will mitigate any problems one locations could have. Now it seems everything is nearly on hold, or shortage,
I had severe financial boundaries which only recently found a reprieve. I heard of the Braveheart Pinephone, and quickly lit up. Now that I am threatened with an Ubuntu pre-run build, I am becoming starkly nihilistic, as Ubuntu is notorious for replicating Google's tactic of sharing info, as Apple does in it's unique way.
Ultimately, this defeats the purpose.
Long story short, I need a Braveheart Pinephone sold free of OS, so I may code and create my own. Short of that, I would be more safe and comfortable to get a codable phone from a competitor, whatever the price. I was offered one from PINE for 150, and will payPINE 150 or a competitor 2k and never look back.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Out of stock auggiefrog 4 3,223 12-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Out of Stock CaptnCrypto941 3 5,915 02-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: tllim