Programs that should run on Pinebook Pro
Hello Community,

i got problems to get all apps running on the pinebook pro:

- AppImageLauncher needs libc6 2.27 (Pinebook 2.24) -> Very important because with appimages you can install more apps like waterfox, ungoogled chromium
- parsec got a armhf.deb file but for the raspberry pi -> Someone should make this to work! steam link the same! (Or Steam haha)

Solutions:
-> Add a newer version of libc6 over 2.27
-> create deb files for parsec, appimagelauncher, steam link, iriduim browser, ungoogled chromium, waterfox, brave, pure browser
-> With the update to debian 10 a lot of problems should be solved, because not every app supports still debian 9
-> Support for arm64 because the pinebook pro can do that! Or if not possible change the OS to arm64!
-> Add something that the armhf.deb from the raspberry pi work, so steam link or parsec etc should work right away. If this possible!

Thanx!
The OOTB Debian build was intentionally created with an armhf userspace to allow using widevine/Netflix. If you're interested in a purely aarch64 OS, I'd suggest you try using one of the other, many OS options. There even is a script to install Bullseye with a mainline kernel.
(02-18-2020, 09:39 AM)tophneal Wrote: The OOTB Debian build was intentionally created with an armhf userspace to allow using widevine/Netflix. If you're interested in a purely aarch64 OS, I'd suggest you try using one of the other, many OS options. There even is a script to install Bullseye with a mainline kernel.

I tried other os distros and read about a lot. And in the end i realized that the orginal os runs the best. And for widevine is this a great decision for many users. I will stay by stock: runs smooth, best supported and only debian got good support. The Manjaro looks amazing and runs nice,  but its manjaro... App support is so bad. It's like in the old days with apple notebooks and bootcamp. So all should run on the default os for me Smile
(02-18-2020, 10:00 AM)pin Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 09:39 AM)tophneal Wrote: The OOTB Debian build was intentionally created with an armhf userspace to allow using widevine/Netflix. If you're interested in a purely aarch64 OS, I'd suggest you try using one of the other, many OS options. There even is a script to install Bullseye with a mainline kernel.

I tried other os distros and read about a lot. And in the end i realized that the orginal os runs the best. And for widevine is this a great decision for many users. I will stay by stock: runs smooth, best supported and only debian got good support. The Manjaro looks amazing and runs nice,  but its manjaro... App support is so bad. It's like in the old days with apple notebooks and bootcamp. So all should run on the default os for me Smile

Manjaro might be worth a try on an SD card, just to compare. Its app support is not bad at all. There have been some bumps getting particular apps to compile for aarch64, but that's often dependent upon the apps themselves. Most PKGBUILDs I've had to edit to install on aarch64 gave me no issues at all.
(02-18-2020, 10:07 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 10:00 AM)pin Wrote:

Manjaro might be worth a try on an SD card, just to compare. Its app support is not bad at all. There have been some bumps getting particular apps to compile for aarch64, but that's often dependent upon the apps themselves. Most PKGBUILDs I've had to edit to install on aarch64 gave me no issues at all.

I installed manjaro on sd card and than on emmc Big Grin But than i realized that only debian is the real thing. All Systems i use normally are based on debian. And compare to windows/apple the app support is acceptable with flatpak store, Pling Store and AppImageLauncher. .Deb files are everywhere, after that opensuse with rpm and fedora. All other os systems are not worth for me to use other commands and not really a good app support. But Manjaro was the first linux distro straight outta box without imitate apple or windows that looks great. The good thing with linux you can change the look how you want. And the Appstore in Manjaro is great. The making so much things right, but it's not debian based, biggest problem...
with the debian installer and your own modifications you can install any debian release, armhf or arm64 (or both with multiarch), and cryptfs is optional for encryption. the possibilities are endlesss. it uses manjaro kernel, and you can easily build your own. danielt did an awesome job building a flexible tool.
AppImageLauncherNow works on Pinebook Pro:
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageL...r/releases

So an armhf appimage is now possible! Make it's easier to make Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 584,704 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,237 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 375 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 279 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 270 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 205 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 635 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 705 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,477 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,169 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt