Mobile Carriers in the United States
I started a new thread with this info, but there is a lot more activity here, is here is what I posted.

I received my SIM card from Mint Mobile SIM card today. (based upon the IMEI number on the Pine Phone it showed this carrier would work). I activated the SIM card online with a new cell number and rebooted the phone. The carrier didn't show up so went into the carrier preferences and the Pine Phone is showing the Mint card as an option. I click on it and then back out of the sim preferences but that screen shows "No Carrier." I've done this numerous times with the same results. There is also the option to to use the "Automatic" for the carrier, but with the same results when you back out to the prior screen "No carrier." Since there isn't a save option in the carrier select area I guess it does a save automatically? Is anyone else using Mint Mobile and if so how did you get it to work?

New: I've read all the posts here and I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the APN. Is this something I need to setup on my Pine phone before I can connect to the Mint Mobile carrier?
(07-27-2020, 05:44 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: I started a new thread with this info, but there is a lot more activity here, is here is what I posted.

I received my SIM card from Mint Mobile SIM card today. (based upon the IMEI number on the Pine Phone it showed this carrier would work).  I activated the SIM card online with a new cell number and rebooted the phone.  The carrier didn't show up so went into the carrier preferences and the Pine Phone is showing the Mint card as an option.  I click on it and then back out of the sim preferences but that screen shows "No Carrier."  I've done this numerous times with the same results.  There is also the option to to use the "Automatic" for the carrier, but with the same results when you back out to the prior screen "No carrier."  Since there isn't a save option in the carrier select area I guess it does a save automatically?  Is anyone else using Mint Mobile and if so how did you get it to work?

New:  I've read all the posts here and I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the APN.  Is this something I need to setup on my Pine phone before I can connect to the Mint Mobile carrier?
In UTouch, it will usually detect your apn. If not, select reset apn under cellular settings then restart the phone. In postmarket, mobian, pure os you need to manually set your apn. Lune and sailfish detects the apn but you may need to turn on data first. Make sure data is on and some combination that includes 3g/4g on all OS

I can confirm t-mobile and metro works as i've used them in my pinephone. I am using Google Fi data only now since I switched my metro sim to my Ubuntu Touch Nexus 6P.
(07-28-2020, 03:08 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 05:44 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: I started a new thread with this info, but there is a lot more activity here, is here is what I posted.

I received my SIM card from Mint Mobile SIM card today. (based upon the IMEI number on the Pine Phone it showed this carrier would work).  I activated the SIM card online with a new cell number and rebooted the phone.  The carrier didn't show up so went into the carrier preferences and the Pine Phone is showing the Mint card as an option.  I click on it and then back out of the sim preferences but that screen shows "No Carrier."  I've done this numerous times with the same results.  There is also the option to to use the "Automatic" for the carrier, but with the same results when you back out to the prior screen "No carrier."  Since there isn't a save option in the carrier select area I guess it does a save automatically?  Is anyone else using Mint Mobile and if so how did you get it to work?

New:  I've read all the posts here and I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the APN.  Is this something I need to setup on my Pine phone before I can connect to the Mint Mobile carrier?
In UTouch, it will usually detect your apn. If not, select reset apn under cellular settings then restart the phone. In postmarket, mobian, pure os you need to manually set your apn. Lune and sailfish detects the apn but you may need to turn on data first. Make sure data is on and some combination that includes 3g/4g on all OS

I can confirm t-mobile and metro works as i've used them in my pinephone. I am using Google Fi data only now since I switched my metro sim to my Ubuntu Touch Nexus 6P.

I did the reset and still nothing. It show the Mint SIM card is installed under carrier settings, and I can click on it, but when I back out to the prior screen I get the message No Carrier.
(07-28-2020, 08:01 AM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote:

I did the reset and still nothing. It show the Mint SIM card is installed under carrier settings, and I can click on it, but when I back out to the prior screen I get the message No Carrier.
An update:  I was on the phone with Mint Mobile tech support for almost an hour.  The good news, I was lucky to get one of their folks who is a bit familiar with the Pine phone.  We tried doing a manual APN setup BUT the info we put in will not save.  Every time I would back out to the prior screen, then go back to what I entered, that new APN I added was gone.  The only thing there is the Internet tab and the option to reset it.  This being the case, I don't think any carrier is going to work if the phone won't save the info.  I asked the tech if other Pine phone users were able to get their phone working with them and she said yes.  The phone recognizes the Mint SIM card, but it will not, shale we say, "lock on to it" when I click on it.  As soon as you back out to the prior screen, all saved (if it's even saved" info is gone.  Next Question.  There is an option to wipe the phone, I guess sort of a factory reset.  If I do this will Ubuntu Touch be wiped out too?
(07-28-2020, 09:59 AM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote:

An update:  I was on the phone with Mint Mobile tech support for almost an hour.  The good news, I was lucky to get one of their folks who is a bit familiar with the Pine phone.  We tried doing a manual APN setup BUT the info we put in will not save.  Every time I would back out to the prior screen, then go back to what I entered, that new APN I added was gone.  The only thing there is the Internet tab and the option to reset it.  This being the case, I don't think any carrier is going to work if the phone won't save the info.  I asked the tech if other Pine phone users were able to get their phone working with them and she said yes.  The phone recognizes the Mint SIM card, but it will not, shale we say, "lock on to it" when I click on it.  As soon as you back out to the prior screen, all saved (if it's even saved" info is gone.  Next Question.  There is an option to wipe the phone, I guess sort of a factory reset
You don't need to reset. Since it sees your sim, can you make a phone call? If so, you don't have data enabled, 2g/3g/4g set, or the apn info correctly input. What are your apn settings supposed to be according to mint mobile CS? If you can't make a phone call, did you ensure you did all system updates? An earlier build could not make phone calls well.
(07-28-2020, 01:09 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

An update:  I was on the phone with Mint Mobile tech support for almost an hour.  The good news, I was lucky to get one of their folks who is a bit familiar with the Pine phone.  We tried doing a manual APN setup BUT the info we put in will not save.  Every time I would back out to the prior screen, then go back to what I entered, that new APN I added was gone.  The only thing there is the Internet tab and the option to reset it.  This being the case, I don't think any carrier is going to work if the phone won't save the info.  I asked the tech if other Pine phone users were able to get their phone working with them and she said yes.  The phone recognizes the Mint SIM card, but it will not, shale we say, "lock on to it" when I click on it.  As soon as you back out to the prior screen, all saved (if it's even saved" info is gone.  Next Question.  There is an option to wipe the phone, I guess sort of a factory reset
You don't need to reset. Since it sees your sim, can you make a phone call? If so, you don't have data enabled, 2g/3g/4g set, or the apn info correctly input. What are your apn settings supposed to be according to mint mobile CS? If you can't make a phone call, did you ensure you did all system updates? An earlier build could not make phone calls well.
I can't make any calls because it's not finding their cell towers (no connection at all)  Yes, it sees the SIM card, and when I click on it, there is a check mark, but then that's it.  I have the data enabled, but it will not let me put in all of the APN info that the tech at Mint Mobile gave me.  Basically, it won't save anything except for the WiFi info.  I've disabled WiFi and Bluetooth when I tried to set up the SIM card and still no luck.  I'll keep trying different things as I have 7 days to get a refund back from Mint if I can't get it working.  Immure as more updates come out things will get sorted out.  I'm not upset as I knew these types of things were going to happen going into this.  I still have very high hopes for this phone.

Have you checked post number 10 on the first page of this thread ?    @buffer 
     He discusses his experience with 'Mint Mobile'
(07-28-2020, 01:44 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 03:08 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: In UTouch, it will usually detect your apn. If not, select reset apn under cellular settings then restart the phone. In postmarket, mobian, pure os you need to manually set your apn. Lune and sailfish detects the apn but you may need to turn on data first. Make sure data is on and some combination that includes 3g/4g on all OS

I can't make any calls because it's not finding their cell towers (no connection at all)  Yes, it sees the SIM card, and when I click on it, there is a check mark, but then that's it.  I have the data enabled, but it will not let me put in all of the APN info that the tech at Mint Mobile gave me.  Basically, it won't save anything except for the WiFi info.  I've disabled WiFi and Bluetooth when I tried to set up the SIM card and still no luck.  I'll keep trying different things as I have 7 days to get a refund back from Mint if I can't get it working.  Immure as more updates come out things will get sorted out.  I'm not upset as I knew these types of things were going to happen going into this.  I still have very high hopes for this phone.
When you say "not finding their cell towers at all" do you mean you have no bars? If you have no bars, then obviously you won't be able to connect. Maybe you should pop another OS onto a sim card and boot from it just to make sure your hardware is ok. There is for instance the factory test image in the postmarket demo builds. It only tests hardware. July 20 something is the date on it.
(07-28-2020, 02:33 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 09:59 AM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: An update:  I was on the phone with Mint Mobile tech support for almost an hour.  The good news, I was lucky to get one of their folks who is a bit familiar with the Pine phone.  We tried doing a manual APN setup BUT the info we put in will not save.  Every time I would back out to the prior screen, then go back to what I entered, that new APN I added was gone.  The only thing there is the Internet tab and the option to reset it.  This being the case, I don't think any carrier is going to work if the phone won't save the info.  I asked the tech if other Pine phone users were able to get their phone working with them and she said yes.  The phone recognizes the Mint SIM card, but it will not, shale we say, "lock on to it" when I click on it.  As soon as you back out to the prior screen, all saved (if it's even saved" info is gone.  Next Question.  There is an option to wipe the phone, I guess sort of a factory reset
When you say "not finding their cell towers at all" do you mean you have no bars? If you have no bars, then obviously you won't be able to connect. Maybe you should pop another OS onto a sim card and boot from it just to make sure your hardware is ok. There is for instance the factory test image in the postmarket demo builds. It only tests hardware. July 20 something is the date on it.
No bars because it won't connect to any cell towers.  My wife works fine, bluetooth too, but it's hit and miss on finding the SIM card too.  Sometimes I reboot and it finds the SOM card, other times not.  I've got a buddy close to me who's a cell phone guru and I'm gonna let him have a look.  We've been talking about this phone, so he's a bit interested in it too.
(07-28-2020, 04:06 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 02:33 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 09:59 AM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: An update:  I was on the phone with Mint Mobile tech support for almost an hour.  The good news, I was lucky to get one of their folks who is a bit familiar with the Pine phone.  We tried doing a manual APN setup BUT the info we put in will not save.  Every time I would back out to the prior screen, then go back to what I entered, that new APN I added was gone.  The only thing there is the Internet tab and the option to reset it.  This being the case, I don't think any carrier is going to work if the phone won't save the info.  I asked the tech if other Pine phone users were able to get their phone working with them and she said yes.  The phone recognizes the Mint SIM card, but it will not, shale we say, "lock on to it" when I click on it.  As soon as you back out to the prior screen, all saved (if it's even saved" info is gone.  Next Question.  There is an option to wipe the phone, I guess sort of a factory reset
No bars because it won't connect to any cell towers.  My wife works fine, bluetooth too, but it's hit and miss on finding the SIM card too.  Sometimes I reboot and it finds the SOM card, other times not.  I've got a buddy close to me who's a cell phone guru and I'm gonna let him have a look.  We've been talking about this phone, so he's a bit interested in it too.
The issue could be the OS, I have tried the factory image of the Postmarket os image and it shows the modem is working but when using UBports it does not work with my T-mobile sim. Another thing is I've heard about the firmware for the modem being corrupted in some cases. Have you tried another os such as Mobian to see if it will work with your SIM card?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 639 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  New Zealand network providers mobile data Linux2thabone 3 3,177 08-05-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SchizoPinePhone225
  US Mobile, via T-Mobile, won't support Pinephone Pro - SOLVED, SIMPLY jovval 10 2,976 07-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jovval
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,180 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 643 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,231 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,249 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,968 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,642 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Lightbulb pinephone mobile dock jasmin763 2 1,633 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr