Changes from Brave Heart to final production run
On the Brave Heart wiki page it lists all the known issues with this version of the phone. Is the current plan to fix all of these or only the most important ones for the final production run?
(02-13-2020, 11:14 AM)hnaguski Wrote: On the Brave Heart wiki page it lists all the known issues with this version of the phone. Is the current plan to fix all of these or only the most important ones for the final production run?

We are working with developers and review with them on their suggestion before proceed into production run.
(02-13-2020, 11:14 AM)hnaguski Wrote: On the Brave Heart wiki page it lists all the known issues with this version of the phone. Is the current plan to fix all of these or only the most important ones for the final production run?

I hope at least some of them will be included anyway (although I have a Braveheart edition).

...but I would like to have it documented to let us see what has changed and what can be modified on current edition if it is possible at all.

Anyway, modem can be really hot especially when is is switched on. I don't know what can be done with it (maybe even a firmware upgrade can help), but it seems to be consuming too much power... or maybe not the modem but something else on the other side of the PCB, so some power management will help (even if we are speaking about the CPU or the CPU of the modem)...
It looks like we are now up to around 20 proposed hardware changes. From the marketing info and blog posts leading up the release of the Braveheart it was my understanding that the hardware design was for the most part finalized aside from possible antenna optimization - guess I should have paid closer attention. Since the proposed hardware changes would break software compatibility between the Braveheart models and the v1.2 hardware, is there any possibility of a discount or trade-in type of program for Braveheart adopters when our current hardware becomes obsolete?
(03-02-2020, 06:15 PM)thunderweasel Wrote: It looks like we are now up to around 20 proposed hardware changes. From the marketing info and blog posts leading up the release of the Braveheart it was my understanding that the hardware design was for the most part finalized aside from possible antenna optimization - guess I should have paid closer attention. Since the proposed hardware changes would break software compatibility between the Braveheart models and the v1.2 hardware, is there any possibility of a discount or trade-in type of program for Braveheart adopters when our current hardware becomes obsolete?

I hope you get an answer because looking at the wiki, it doesn't seem like they are changing components, just rewiring a few things better. I'm no hardware expert. But especially with mainline linux kernel, I don't think you'll see software incompatibility after these changes. The changes look like they would make the software work better.
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
(03-03-2020, 06:00 PM)buffer Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 06:15 PM)thunderweasel Wrote: It looks like we are now up to around 20 proposed hardware changes. From the marketing info and blog posts leading up the release of the Braveheart it was my understanding that the hardware design was for the most part finalized aside from possible antenna optimization - guess I should have paid closer attention. Since the proposed hardware changes would break software compatibility between the Braveheart models and the v1.2 hardware, is there any possibility of a discount or trade-in type of program for Braveheart adopters when our current hardware becomes obsolete?

I hope you get an answer because looking at the wiki, it doesn't seem like they are changing components, just rewiring a few things better. I'm no hardware expert. But especially with mainline linux kernel, I don't think you'll see software incompatibility after these changes. The changes look like they would make the software work better.

They aren't changing components, but the GPIO pinout is being almost completely redone. So my concern would be, for example, that a piece of software designed for the v1.2 GPIO would be expecting ring indicator on PL6 when on the v1.1 Braveheart it is actually on PB2, while a piece of software designed for the v1.1 Braveheart is expecting swap DTR on PL6 when it would have been moved to PB2 on the v1.2. I am absolutely no hardware (or software, for that matter) expert, but it seems like that's going to have to be resolved with either separate codebases that can properly address the different hardware pin locations for each revision, or else some system-wide way of remapping it in software so that the Braveheart models aren't looking for the wrong signals in the wrong places.

It's a moot point for me now anyway - I've sold my Braveheart as I haven't got the time to devote to getting it functional anymore. I hope the changes don't leave the early adopters out in the cold. I know when the Pinebook Pro was released it pretty much killed progress on the original Pinebook. That would be a shame. I'll probably be picking one up down the line once all the kinks are worked out.
There won't be any software incompatibility. The likely solution to "rewiring" in 1.2 (and future iterations) will be that a revision accurate device tree will be automatically chosen at boot.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Not sure if its a possibility, but if spare parts are to be sold for the PinePhone, I'd happily swap out my BraveHeart version main board for the reworked (1.2) version of the main board if they will be sold in the future! Cut down on the waste and save a few $$.
(03-08-2020, 01:51 PM)bridadan Wrote: Not sure if its a possibility, but if spare parts are to be sold for the PinePhone, I'd happily swap out my BraveHeart version main board for the reworked (1.2) version of the main board if they will be sold in the future! Cut down on the waste and save a few $$.

The PinePhone spare parts will be available at Pine Store in two weeks time.
(03-09-2020, 08:19 PM)tllim Wrote: The PinePhone spare parts will be available at Pine Store in two weeks time.

Great ! this is awsome !
* PinePhone BraveHeart Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brave Heart Not Vibrating? hnaguski 0 1,663 02-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Last Post: hnaguski
  Brave Heart FCC CE testing? murak 4 7,612 01-17-2020, 04:24 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Brave Heart Edition Pre-orders Rocky-IV 2 3,762 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: tllim