not booting from sd card
I downloaded ubports from here: https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/ (Chose .img.gz under "Latest Successful")

Extracted to default .img file

put on sd card using:
Code:
sudo dd if=/home/user/file.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Put it in the top (sd card) slot in the phone next to the battery. There is no SIM card in the phone yet.

And when I turn it on nothing happens but the screen with the factory test. (Everything passes factory test except EG25, because no sim).

Possibly the battery is really low? (I did remove battery protection tab.) How do you tell? I don't see any indicator lights showing charging or battery level and I can't find the info here or on the web.

Hope you can help!

Huh
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(02-11-2020, 07:09 PM)quixote Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:04 PM)quixote Wrote: Wait, I think I have a nano-size sd card in there, and looking at the wiki  it should be micro size?  ??  Anyway, I'll try that and report back.

The SIM and SD-card share almost the same spot: The SIM card goes in the "lowest" position, closest to the circuit board, while the SD card goes in the "upper" slot away from the circuit board and toward the plastic cover.

(Also, there is no "nano" size for SD cards, only "regular" and "micro". A "regular" card is very much obviously huge, while a micro SD card is roughly between the size of micro-SIM and nano-SIM)
I decided maybe it was just a bad install. Tried a different sd card. Now it does not go to the factory test screen. There's an indicator light at the top, presumably showing it's doing something.

But...

Nothing happens after that. I waited about three solid minutes, but even for an sd card, that seems like long enough. Nothing happens. Anybody have any ideas on what to try next?

(02-11-2020, 07:35 PM)(in response to) CloudHackIX Wrote: Yeah, I spaced out. I realized I'd crossed wires between SIM sizes and microSD sizes and I deleted that comment. (So it now lives only in your quote Big Grin )   I did have the right size SD.  I tried reinstalling to a different card (see comment above....) which the system can see, since it doesn't go straight to factory reset, but nothing happens.
Yeah the indicator lights do not seem to be a very accurate indicator of what is happening.

Running from an SD card is kind of slow,  and some OSes do seem to start slower than others.

I have had great Luck so far using Etcher to flash my SD cards.
NO failures on the flashing so far.

The time to flash using the SD card slot on my Laptop is kind of slow
But using a   "usb to SD card adapterit flashes in just a few minutes,  though both methods do work.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Thanks, bcnaz!

I'm confused (as usual Big Grin ). When you say "flash my sd cards" do you mean flash the phone's internal memory from the sd card? Or install the OS on the sd card and then boot from the sd card?

I've never used dd before. It's such a brute force method, I get the feeling it makes the cards squirrelly. I'll look and see what Etcher can do. it would be nice to have a more reliable method!

Edited to add: Etcher looks really good. But it won't let me run it. It says my sandboxing is incorrectly set up. It complains about a dir in /tmp which should have 4755 permissions. so I created that dir, chmod to give it those permissions, but still same error msg. I have zero idea what it's really talking about (setuid, I know, but I don't really understand the whole concept).

Be nice if it just worked. Confused

(I run Debian, which can be finicky about permissions. 10, Buster)
(02-12-2020, 11:57 PM)quixote Wrote: Thanks, bcnaz!

I'm confused (as usual Big Grin ). When you say "flash my sd cards" do you mean flash the phone's internal memory from the sd card? Or install the OS on the sd card and then boot from the sd card?

I've never used dd before. It's such a brute force method, I get the feeling it makes the cards squirrelly. I'll look and see what Etcher can do. it would be nice to have a more reliable method!

Edited to add: Etcher looks really good. But it won't let me run it. It says my sandboxing is incorrectly set up. It complains about a dir in /tmp which should have 4755 permissions. so I created that dir, chmod to give it those permissions, but still same error msg. I have zero idea what it's really talking about (setuid, I know, but I don't really understand the whole concept).

Be nice if it just worked. Confused

(I run Debian, which can be finicky about permissions. 10, Buster)

SORRY

I dual boot Debian and Ubuntu 18.04

I forgot I was using Ubuntu and then etcher did   "JUST WORK"

I did a quick search and check,  I could not get etcher to load on my Debian Stretch ether.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Um, I think I may have just been super-stupid again. (My excuse is I'm too eager to start tapping things on the phone!). But I tried to install Etcher as user. Probably should be running that as root, right? Blush  The instructions don't say that, but if it's trying to create dirs in /tmp, it seems likely.

Edited to add: Yup. Just tried it. Works fine when you run
Code:
sudo ./balenaEtcher-1.5.76-x64.AppImage

Blush Blush Blush
Apparently I had three problems: 1) bad sd card,  2) bad download, 3) bad install, or flash, to sd card.

the dd command seems to be the pits. Or I don't know how to use it (always a possibility). In any case. Etcher did install / flash a bootable img.  

When it hung up on the boot, I tried downloading a new img.gz file (#221 this time) and installed that on a different sd card using Etcher.

It booted!  It's suuuuuuuuuper sloooooow running from sdcard. As in really slow. I keep thinking it's crashed and then a couple of minutes later (prob really about 30 sec) something happens. Once I'm  pretty sure I have things working, definitely flashing to internal memory on the phone
(02-11-2020, 07:35 PM)CloudHackIX Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 07:09 PM)quixote Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:04 PM)quixote Wrote: Wait, I think I have a nano-size sd card in there, and looking at the wiki  it should be micro size?  ??  Anyway, I'll try that and report back.

The SIM and SD-card share almost the same spot: The SIM card goes in the "lowest" position, closest to the circuit board, while the SD card goes in the "upper" slot away from the circuit board and toward the plastic cover.

(Also, there is no "nano" size for SD cards, only "regular" and "micro". A "regular" card is very much obviously huge, while a micro SD card is roughly between the size of micro-SIM and nano-SIM)

miniSD cards use to be a thing actually but those got phased out in favor of microSD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,198 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  PinePhone Beta Edition will not boot from MicroSD card Timothy_Ecc 27 23,264 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: skandigraun
  Pinephone won't boot from SD card arkadione 3 3,290 05-25-2022, 03:26 PM
Last Post: sfb
  Largest supported micro SD card? zooidic 2 1,921 01-08-2022, 06:01 AM
Last Post: zooidic
  Red LED when trying to boot from SD card. Need advice. サーバント 5 4,052 10-20-2021, 09:40 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Fragile SIM card connector hakkou 1 1,750 08-25-2021, 07:44 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Sd card slot death? Hurrikan 7 6,388 05-17-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: jrballesteros05
  WARNING to future users ~ Order yourself a SIM Card Extender Bonesdog 3 3,881 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Bonesdog
  Not charging, not detected when booting jumpdrive acohl 1 2,058 03-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: desca
  Strange SD Card Problems anhilde 7 6,150 02-21-2021, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton