No IMEI for Braveheart Pinephone?
Forgive me if this has already on the web forums somewhere - I can only find references to topics about changing IMEI, or references to IMEI in conjunction with activating micro-SIM cards on the Pinephone.  I have Ubports installed on my Braveheart Pinephone that I received two days ago and got wireless to work with a couple of command line entries and a reboot. I've ordered an ATT compatible micro-SIM card, and once inserted, would like to activate the phone on my pre-paid account with ATT.  If I go to att.com/prepaid it looks as if I'll have to supply an IMEI number in order to activate the phone.  If I go to "settings>about" to looke for the IEMI number, "None" is listed.  Is this really the case?  Is there another path to finding out the IMEI of the phone?  How can one get around that in order to activate cellular service?
(02-10-2020, 12:48 PM)curtvaughan Wrote: Forgive me if this has already on the web forums somewhere - I can only find references to topics about changing IMEI, or references to IMEI in conjunction with activating micro-SIM cards on the Pinephone.  I have Ubports installed on my Braveheart Pinephone that I received two days ago and got wireless to work with a couple of command line entries and a reboot. I've ordered an ATT compatible micro-SIM card, and once inserted, would like to activate the phone on my pre-paid account with ATT.  If I go to att.com/prepaid it looks as if I'll have to supply an IMEI number in order to activate the phone.  If I go to "settings>about" to looke for the IEMI number, "None" is listed.  Is this really the case?  Is there another path to finding out the IMEI of the phone?  How can one get around that in order to activate cellular service?

Hello Curt, once you have a SIm card installed and the modem activated, the IMEI box will show an IMEI.  I had the same issue, until I put an old SIM card in and ran the scripts one of the moderators posted about enabling the modem.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
The IMEI is also printed inside the back cover on the exposed metal plate.
(02-10-2020, 01:16 PM)noeman5 Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 12:48 PM)curtvaughan Wrote: Forgive me if this has already on the web forums somewhere - I can only find references to topics about changing IMEI, or references to IMEI in conjunction with activating micro-SIM cards on the Pinephone.  I have Ubports installed on my Braveheart Pinephone that I received two days ago and got wireless to work with a couple of command line entries and a reboot. I've ordered an ATT compatible micro-SIM card, and once inserted, would like to activate the phone on my pre-paid account with ATT.  If I go to att.com/prepaid it looks as if I'll have to supply an IMEI number in order to activate the phone.  If I go to "settings>about" to looke for the IEMI number, "None" is listed.  Is this really the case?  Is there another path to finding out the IMEI of the phone?  How can one get around that in order to activate cellular service?

Hello Curt, once you have a SIm card installed and the modem activated, the IMEI box will show an IMEI.  I had the same issue, until I put an old SIM card in and ran the scripts one of the moderators posted about enabling the modem.

Thanks noeman5! I look forward to trying out the SIM tomorrow for further progress.
(02-10-2020, 01:16 PM)noeman5 Wrote:

As a followup - activated and installed a SIM from AT&T (activated by an AT&T store).  Sure enough, after activating the modem the IEMI shows up with "About" in settings.  Unfortunately, calls still don't work, returning a popup saying "There is currently no network".  There are apparently some low level modem commands that may partially be used to get access to the cellular network via the "minicom" package, but I've so far had no useful success using it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 524 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 159 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 413 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,449 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,758 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,201 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 784 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,612 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,200 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,048 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever