cpu governer
I'm running Manjaro on a pinebook pro.  What are your thought on cpu governer.  Should I use schedutil for day to day or ondemand.  Also, if I'm going to use this for recording pro audio, should I set the CPU to "Performance" or would I see no improvement from schedutil/ondeman.

Thanks!
-Josh

Another question, the fastest frequency available to the cpupower-gui data 1.48mhz. is that correct?
i prefer ondemand, occasionally setting performance. start out with ondemand and see if that works for you.

set cores 4-5 to 2ghz, cores 0-3 to 1.5ghz.

the easiest way to do this is to just change the governor and not mess with the frequency.
(02-08-2020, 09:52 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i prefer ondemand, occasionally setting performance. start out with ondemand and see if that works for you.

the easiest way to do this is to just change the governor and not mess with the frequency.

Cool. From what I've read ondemand seems a little quicker than the others (save performance). Can anyone help making the change permanent in Manjaro?

(02-09-2020, 05:16 AM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 09:52 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: i prefer ondemand, occasionally setting performance. start out with ondemand and see if that works for you.

Cool. From what I've read ondemand seems a little quicker than the others (save performance). Can anyone help making the change permanent in Manjaro?

I found out TLP comes installed but disabled.  I used it to set the cpu to conservative on battery and ondemand on ac.  Big Grin  I like TLP.  I'll probably end up using cpupower-gui to set the cpu to performance when I'm at a gig.  Is there risk in running the processor in performance mode for an extended period of time?  (I'm talking 6-8 hours).
performance mode should just drain the battery faster, since all cores are set to maximum. I only use performance when on usbc power, and only when doing something CPU intensive for extended periods of time.

ondemand is the default governor on my kernel, so I only change to and from performance.
(02-09-2020, 11:11 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: performance mode should just drain the battery faster, since all cores are set to maximum. I only use performance when on usbc power, and only when doing something CPU intensive for extended periods of time.

ondemand is the default governor on my kernel, so I only change to and from performance.

So, you don't have any overheating concerns with running performance for a full work day?
i haven't had any temperature issues at all. using usbc pd and battery, and ondemand and performance. typical range 38-48c system temp.

info:
cpupower -c all frequency-info

set performance:
cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance

set ondemand
cpupower -c all frequency-set -g ondemand