Printers in Manjaro
(02-18-2020, 01:04 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote: I have gotten closer to a successful printing solution! In the Pacman gui I found a package called print settings. When I installed it I was able to connect to my Epson wf-3520 printer. I haven't found the right driver yet though. When I tried the generic pdf printer, my printer started printing out lines of code instead of the test page. Encouraging progress, though!

I have installed this print setting package. I now find a "printer" tab in the system settings. When I click on it, it says :"Printer service not available. Bad file descriptor". When I open the Printer Settings tool, and I click on "start service" nothing happens (systemctrl status shows nothing that looks like a print service) and if I click on "Connect" to localhost I get an CUPS error "failed to connect to server". Are there other libraries that I need to install. I am not even at the point to search for my network printer because the "Add" button is inactive. Any suggestions are welcome.
You have a systemd problem
cups-browsed.service
org.cups.cupsd.service
I think it automatically pulls in the 3 others I see
After systemctl is set up, localhost:631 will work
(04-12-2020, 10:47 AM)wdt Wrote: You have a systemd problem
cups-browsed.service
org.cups.cupsd.service
I think it automatically pulls in the 3 others I see
After systemctl is set up, localhost:631 will work

Thank you this was part of the issue but I also had to install nss-mnds (which was missing) and modify /etc/nsswitch.conf accordingly as specified here

https://mypersonalblog1984.wordpress.com...printer-2/

This solved the problem.
I think nss-mdns was the thing that was missing for me too, I added the printer through the CUPS web interface (have to enable the cups services) and then just added my Brother laser printer and it works. I just printed a test page.
Thumbs Up 
Big thanks to everyone who posted here. My biggest frustration with my new PBP was not being able to print. I installed the pacman printer settings GUI and CUPS (I thought) but no joy. After reading this thread, I correctly installed CUPS this time plus the gutenprint ppds. After that, I was able to install my Samsung ML-2010 laser printer. I'm now looking at a beautiful test print page. Now I just need to figure out extending battery life when the lid is closed...
(06-07-2020, 10:33 AM)Weiss_guy Wrote: Big thanks to everyone who posted here. My biggest frustration with my new PBP was not being able to print. I installed the pacman printer settings GUI and CUPS (I thought) but no joy. After reading this thread, I correctly installed CUPS this time plus the gutenprint ppds. After that, I was able to install my Samsung ML-2010 laser printer. I'm now looking at a beautiful test print page. Now I just need to figure out extending battery life when the lid is closed...
I am running Ubuntu on my PBP.  I see no option to install a printer.  I have read through this thread but nothing makes any sense to me.  Tried to install pacman and got the Pacman game.  Could someone please post a step-by-step of how to get a networked printer installed on PineBook Pro?
pacman is the package manager on Manjaro ARM which is the default OS that the machine ships with.

For Ubuntu you need to look up its tutorials, but otherwise the normal Gnome desktop should have printer support?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 166 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 746 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,913 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Manjaro - HIbernate - brcmfmac clk issue pompeyPinePro 1 709 08-18-2023, 02:06 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez