For those having issues with the screen turning off
Bug 
I finally figured out how to get around the screen turning off and on with the current version of sailfish. Looks like the issue is the with the light sensor, I found that it would the screen would turn off less often if I angled it just right into some strong light. I was able to get into the settings and turn off the "Adjust automatically" setting in the "Display" settings. Once that was turned off everything worked as normal.
(02-06-2020, 09:22 PM)wesleyorama Wrote: I finally figured out how to get around the screen turning off and on with the current version of sailfish. Looks like the issue is the with the light sensor, I found that it would the screen would turn off less often if I angled it just right into some strong light. I was able to get into the settings and turn off the "Adjust automatically" setting in the "Display" settings. Once that was turned off everything worked as normal.

i had this same issue, i had to find the right light (not too bright) and hold it JUST right so i could get through the setup and then disable the auto adjust.
(02-06-2020, 09:22 PM)wesleyorama Wrote: I finally figured out how to get around the screen turning off and on with the current version of sailfish. Looks like the issue is the with the light sensor, I found that it would the screen would turn off less often if I angled it just right into some strong light. I was able to get into the settings and turn off the "Adjust automatically" setting in the "Display" settings. Once that was turned off everything worked as normal.

Thanks so much. I was really confused and assumed at first my phone was faulty or a bad flash. I flashed again with the same result.

I was about to try a different OS but figured I would check the forums first.

Thanks for posting.
Aha - I could see the login dial pad screen momentarily a few times, but mostly it was blank all the rest of the time I kept trying stops/starts/restarts that tantalized me with just some of the start/stop console messages, so I knew the screen was physically ok (and it works perfectly on UPports, but I hate the Unity UI, as I did with older Ubuntu PC versions, so went with Mint/Mate instead for its classic Gnome 2 look).

Could any of you who have solved this problem see if you can find a setting in a configuration file that controls this behavior, and post here if you find it? That would let the rest of us pull the SD card to edit on a PC to skip all that trial and error frustration (with much thankfulness to the helpful "pioneers" ;-} ).

TIA!
(02-13-2020, 07:29 PM)pinerokc Wrote: Aha -  I could see the login dial pad screen momentarily a few times, but mostly it was blank all the rest of the time I kept trying stops/starts/restarts that tantalized me with just some of the start/stop console messages, so I knew the screen was physically ok (and it works perfectly on UPports, but I hate the Unity UI, as I did with older Ubuntu PC versions, so went with Mint/Mate instead for its classic Gnome 2 look).

Could any of you who have solved this problem see if you can find a setting in a configuration file that controls this behavior, and post here if you find it?  That would let the rest of us pull the SD card to edit on a PC to skip all that trial and error frustration (with much thankfulness to the helpful "pioneers"  ;-}  ).

TIA!

The config file is /var/lib/mce/builtin-gconf.values. Here is the output from mine:

[nemo@PinePhone ~]$ cat /var/lib/mce/builtin-gconf.values
/system/osso/dsm/display/als_autobrightness=false
/system/osso/dsm/display/color_profile=hardcoded
/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout=600
/system/osso/dsm/display/display_brightness=69
/system/osso/dsm/display/max_display_brightness_levels=100

Change als_autobrightness to false. If the file does not exist, then create it manually. You can copy my settings above. If the als_autobrightness line does not exist in the file, then add it manually.
(02-17-2020, 09:12 PM)nationalicon Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 07:29 PM)pinerokc Wrote: Aha -  I could see the login dial pad screen momentarily a few times, but mostly it was blank all the rest of the time I kept trying stops/starts/restarts that tantalized me with just some of the start/stop console messages, so I knew the screen was physically ok (and it works perfectly on UPports, but I hate the Unity UI, as I did with older Ubuntu PC versions, so went with Mint/Mate instead for its classic Gnome 2 look).

Could any of you who have solved this problem see if you can find a setting in a configuration file that controls this behavior, and post here if you find it?  That would let the rest of us pull the SD card to edit on a PC to skip all that trial and error frustration (with much thankfulness to the helpful "pioneers"  ;-}  ).

TIA!

The config file is /var/lib/mce/builtin-gconf.values. Here is the output from mine:

[nemo@PinePhone ~]$ cat /var/lib/mce/builtin-gconf.values
/system/osso/dsm/display/als_autobrightness=false
/system/osso/dsm/display/color_profile=hardcoded
/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout=600
/system/osso/dsm/display/display_brightness=69
/system/osso/dsm/display/max_display_brightness_levels=100

Change als_autobrightness to false. If the file does not exist, then create it manually. You can copy my settings above. If the als_autobrightness line does not exist in the file, then add it manually.

Thanks!  Sorry I did not notice this sooner, but I just spotted the "Alerts" topic, and took a look.

I did work it out with trial-and-error with phone "tipping" till I could get in the right position long enough to finally stop the auto dimming.  If I get back into Sailfish (settled on postmarketOS for now), I will see if I have that file, and how it compares.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Infinite Loading Screen syrinx 2 3,469 11-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: syrinx
  Date and Time Issues MarkF 1 2,521 10-23-2020, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RodneyMyers
  Lock screen problem? undo 5 5,853 03-03-2020, 05:00 AM
Last Post: explit