OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available
(02-22-2020, 07:57 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: ## Browsing
- Firefox works great. It is fast, scrolls smoothly and feels quick.

Did you (or someone else) tested if WebRTC works (e.g.: video conf with https://meet.jit.si ?) That was my biggest gripe with the other KDE Rolling release distro I'm currently using on my PBP (Majaro ARM KDE).
On Manjaro: streaming video with Youtube works, but trying to use the webcam from the browser fails - it doesn't even show on the drop-down list (despite this working on other software like VLC).
I did a very brief test with meet.jit.si , without actual call, just checked the settings
It seems the camera is not detected/used by Firefox although I think I gave all necessary permissions.
The Gnome app Cheese worked. So in general the camera works with openSuse.

Is there a better test that I can do to see if it works ?
(02-25-2020, 05:48 AM)DrYak Wrote:

Did you (or someone else) tested if WebRTC works (e.g.: video conf with https://meet.jit.si ?) That was my biggest gripe with the other KDE Rolling release distro I'm currently using on my PBP (Majaro ARM KDE).
On Manjaro: streaming video with Youtube works, but trying to use the webcam from the browser fails - it doesn't even show on the drop-down list (despite this working on other software like VLC).

Hi have tested a bit more.
WebRTC with Jitsi seems to have some trouble with Firefox, that is similar on X86 as well Windows and Linux.

However, as the Jitsi website mentiones chroromium based browser should work and so they do.
I have tested with Falkon and the video is working fine in the browser. So WebRTC definately works in OpenSuse.
The only thing is now that I did not get sound and microphone to work.
Baby steps
So, thought I would play around with the xfce build. Initial thoughts:

- Defaulted to a multi-user terminal, had to enable the graphical runlevel with systemctl set-default graphical.target
- Sound was borked out the box, but I was able to get it working easily enough with the Manjaro asound.state: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/p...ound.state followed by alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore (as root) and setting autospawn = no in '/etc/pulse/client.conf'. This is the same as posted in the Audio in debian thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9536

Most other things seem to be fine so far. It's very usable. Tested meet.jit.si with firefox and it picked up the webcam when I grant permission to use the usb camera (?) , microphone is picked up without issue. Those were the main issues I see mentioned in this thread.

The only thing I can find that isn't working for me right now are the display brightness buttons. Resuming from suspend also seems to still be broken for me.
review the install file from the same repo that you got alsa state config
Yeah, resumed this morning and looked through the rest of the repo. Adding 10-usb-kbd.hwdb to /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/ and running "systemd-hwdb update" fixed the brightness issue, and the install file showed me how to fix the awake from suspend issue.

Now as far as I can tell, pretty much everything works! I'll need to continue playing around to see if I can find anything else, but happy with this setup for now.
(02-06-2020, 06:04 PM)Luke Wrote: See here

Will this image work on a RockPro64 4Gb V2.1?

TIA,
/Faradn
(03-30-2020, 06:35 AM)Nappael Wrote: Yeah, resumed this morning and looked through the rest of the repo. Adding 10-usb-kbd.hwdb to /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/  and running "systemd-hwdb update" fixed the brightness issue, and the install file showed me how to fix the awake from suspend issue.

Now as far as I can tell, pretty much everything works! I'll need to continue playing around to see if I can find anything else, but happy with this setup for now.

Would you mind to spell out the suspend setup?

I see the script but am not sure about the line for fstab.

Code:
post_install() {
   #  Enable suspend2idle
       sed -i s/"#SuspendState=mem standby freeze"/"SuspendState=freeze"/g /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
   # Edit fstab
       echo "LABEL=BOOT_MNJRO  /boot   vfat    defaults        0       0" >> /etc/fstab
   # Enable services
       systemctl enable acpid.service
}

post_upgrade() {
   # Enable acpid
}

- what is the difference for SuspendState between "mem standby freeze" and "freeze" ?
- How should the line for LABEL= be exactly?
- Can I just execute the commands manually one by one or do they need to be in a script somewhere ?

And just to confirm, is it right that I have to install acpid first: sudo zypper install acpid ?

There is one more thing I noticed in the XFCe version
I have several tools that only report 4 CPUs, e.g. htop

In /sys/bus/cpu/devices/ I see 6 cpus
In /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/cpus seem to be only 4 cpus
In /sys/devices/armv8_cortex_a53/cpus I get the value 0-3. This in it's own is expected, I guess, but there are no values for the two A72 cores that I can see.

So I have the slight suspicion that the system might only run on 4 cpus, or at least the the remaining two are maybe not completely configured.
I don't have much experience to read this /sys folder, so not sure.
(04-02-2020, 12:01 PM)Surehand53 Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 06:35 AM)Nappael Wrote: Yeah, resumed this morning and looked through the rest of the repo. Adding 10-usb-kbd.hwdb to /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/  and running "systemd-hwdb update" fixed the brightness issue, and the install file showed me how to fix the awake from suspend issue.

Would you mind to spell out the suspend setup?

I see the script but am not sure about the line for fstab.

Code:
post_install() {
   #  Enable suspend2idle
       sed -i s/"#SuspendState=mem standby freeze"/"SuspendState=freeze"/g /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
   # Edit fstab
       echo "LABEL=BOOT_MNJRO  /boot   vfat    defaults        0       0" >> /etc/fstab
   # Enable services
}

post_upgrade() {
   # Enable acpid
}

- what is the difference for SuspendState between "mem standby freeze" and "freeze" ?
- How should the line for LABEL= be exactly?
- Can I just execute the commands manually one by one or do they need to be in a script somewhere ?

And just to confirm, is it right that I have to install acpid first: sudo zypper install acpid ?

There is one more thing I noticed in the XFCe version
I have several tools that only report 4 CPUs, e.g. htop

In /sys/bus/cpu/devices/ I see 6 cpus
In /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/cpus seem to be only 4 cpus
In /sys/devices/armv8_cortex_a53/cpus I get the value 0-3. This in it's own is expected, I guess, but there are no values for the two A72 cores that I can see.

So I have the slight suspicion that the system might only run on 4 cpus, or at least the the remaining two are maybe not completely configured.
I don't have much experience to read this /sys folder, so not sure.

I am unfortunately not the best person for this. I'm a long time user but not really a linux sysadmin at all.

However, for the cpu issue, try looking into /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and remove the "maxcpus=4" flag. htop is now reporting 6 CPU's for me.

For the suspend issue, I understand what the sed command is doing, but I also wasn't sure of the difference between  the "mem standby freeze" and "freeze" SuspendStates. It's something that I was looking at here: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sys....conf.html. So my understanding is that "mem", "standby" and "freeze" are all separate suspendstates that the kernel supports, and listing them with whitespace makes it try all three in order until one works.

Good news of sorts is that for me, simply doing the sed command was enough to fix the suspend issue.
(02-25-2020, 05:48 AM)DrYak Wrote:

Manjaro and Arch Linux explicitly disable webrtc in Firefox. You have to compile it yourself (without "--disable-webrtc") or use Chromium.
The webcam works perfectly fine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,034 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Official openSUSE: U-Boot, dtb and graphics Jojonintendo 1 2,488 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Jojonintendo
  Error Log has a few scetchy things. Manjaro Xfce SpaceLord 0 1,479 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SpaceLord
Heart PBP Arrives Tmmro, Manjaro 20.12 xfce, Seeking Install Notes/Tips/Tricks/Advice SpaceLord 4 4,279 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Last Post: SpaceLord
  XFCE Window Tiling Telefza 2 4,470 12-04-2020, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Telefza
  [Release] Fedora 32 Workstation, KDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon Images wideawake 20 19,604 11-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Tharadash
  Fedora GNOME3 now available Luke 46 64,133 11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: DarrowAtreides
  Manjaro XFCE MPV Hardware Acceleration p3pp3r 2 5,349 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Last Post: p3pp3r
  Manjaro XFCE vs. Manjaro KDE pawlinski 0 2,295 09-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Last Post: pawlinski
  Manjaro XFCE: Vastly improved experience with Picom (Compton) compositor jichu4n 2 12,452 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: jichu4n