OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available
(12-18-2020, 11:30 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: It looks like the Pinebook Pro is on the way to get official openSuse support.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Pinebook-Pro-RK3399

So far I get a blank screen after booting, but it looks as if the system started (the power button to turn it off works)
Probably a small thing needs tweaking..

Awesome !!!
(12-18-2020, 11:30 AM)Surehand53 Wrote: It looks like the Pinebook Pro is on the way to get official openSuse support.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Pinebook-Pro-RK3399

So far I get a blank screen after booting, but it looks as if the system started (the power button to turn it off works)
Probably a small thing needs tweaking..

So, I booted the sd card with UART attached and it turns out it starts all right.
You get a GRUP menu (does GRUP work for PBP?) and when you choose Tumbleweed this message appears and then it stops:
Code:
  Booting a command list

Loading Linux 5.10.1-1-default ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, KASLR will be disabled
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...

Any suggestions how to progress ?

These are the start commands, if that helps;

Code:
setparams 'openSUSE Tumbleweed'                                                                              │
│                                                                                                             │
│        load_video                                                                                           │
│        set gfxpayload=keep                                                                                  │
│        insmod gzio                                                                                          │
│        insmod part_gpt                                                                                      │
│        insmod btrfs                                                                                         │
│        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then                                                     │
│          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root  17fab815-2ec8-468c-9391-25d6a1df430a                      │
│        else                                                                                                 │
│          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 17fab815-2ec8-468c-9391-25d6a1df430a                       │
│        fi                                                                                                   │
│        echo        'Loading Linux 5.10.1-1-default ...'                                                     │
│        $linux        /boot/Image-5.10.1-1-default root=UUID=17fab815-2ec8-468c-9391-25d6a1df430a rw  ${extr\│
│a_cmdline} loglevel=3 splash=silent plymouth.enable=0                                                        │
│        echo        'Loading initial ramdisk ...'                                                            │
│        $initrd        /boot/initrd-5.10.1-1-default   
Does anyone know how this image was built? I haven't been able to get it to boot on my new PBP via NVMe. I was considering trying to make a new build since this one seems abandoned, and I wanted to try to merge it with the JeOS stuff others have also found in the Wiki. It would also be nice to integrate the other improvements which have been made/found for the PBP in the past year and a half or so.

Even if I only manage to get Tumbleweed working for now, that definitely lays the groundwork for getting a 15.3 out around the time of its release in a few weeks. But, I can't find a Kiwi image in OBS that I can fork for this image.

Manjaro refuses to connect to my main WiFi AP, so I'm looking for other options; preferably something closer to my OpenSUSE standard I run on most systems... Fighting a distro that I don't already build my personal packages for seems like a fool's errand. A bigger fool's errand than getting an updated OpenSUSE image distributed. Smile
I've had some success with the official aarch64 net installer for TumbleWeed. After GRUB there is no graphics though, so the install must be done via serial console. The installed system doesn't have graphics either, I'm still trying to figure it out on another thread.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same system you could have on a traditional x86 system, which I am familiar with.
Hi there,

I am interested in using OpenSuse; however, the website which does include the images seem to be insecure. Is there any secure place to download the images?

For the records, the link I am talking about is below:

http://download.opensuse.org/ports/aarch...ppliances/
Hello from 2022
I spent half a day trying to get my favorite opensuse to work on my new PineBook. But the graphics don't work, does anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newer ""emmc-installer" images (manjaro xfce) magistral 1 1,032 10-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Official openSUSE: U-Boot, dtb and graphics Jojonintendo 1 2,485 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Jojonintendo
  Error Log has a few scetchy things. Manjaro Xfce SpaceLord 0 1,479 05-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Last Post: SpaceLord
Heart PBP Arrives Tmmro, Manjaro 20.12 xfce, Seeking Install Notes/Tips/Tricks/Advice SpaceLord 4 4,278 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Last Post: SpaceLord
  XFCE Window Tiling Telefza 2 4,470 12-04-2020, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Telefza
  [Release] Fedora 32 Workstation, KDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon Images wideawake 20 19,603 11-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Tharadash
  Fedora GNOME3 now available Luke 46 64,128 11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: DarrowAtreides
  Manjaro XFCE MPV Hardware Acceleration p3pp3r 2 5,348 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Last Post: p3pp3r
  Manjaro XFCE vs. Manjaro KDE pawlinski 0 2,295 09-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Last Post: pawlinski
  Manjaro XFCE: Vastly improved experience with Picom (Compton) compositor jichu4n 2 12,450 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: jichu4n