Fedora GNOME3 now available
I installed this Fedora build on a fast micro SD card (PNY Elite-X 256 GB), upgraded to Fedora 32 and so far it runs amazingly well, I can barely notice any speed issues as compared to running Manjaro from eMMC, apart from programs launching ever so slightly slower. 

Does anyone know where to get the kernel headers for Fedora for the PBP? I am trying to build Wireguard from source. I managed to build it without issues on Manjaro, as the kernel headers were easily available.

Also, does anyone else have issues with gnome extension settings in this build of Fedora? I can install extensions (dash to panel, bing wallpaper, clipboard indicator, sound input & output device chooser) and they run fine, but I cannot access the settings dialog for any of the extensions. When I open it, the tweaks panel just crashes, restarting does not help. If I try and launch the settings dialog by right clicking on the panel (in Dash to Panel) and selecting Dash to Panel settings, I get 

Quote:Execution of "gnome-shell-extension-prefs" failed:
Command not found

I tried to install "gnome-shell-extension-prefs" but could not find it in the repo.

(Note: I just posted this in the wrong topic, will delete once it passes moderation)
I was able to get this distribution to install to SD, and flashed it to EMMC after some light testing (seems as performant as and less broken than the default Debian distro). Very thrilled to be back in RPM land!

After flashing to EMMC I immediately upgraded to 32 beta. This went well minus the kernel being stuck on the older version included with the original release presented here. I would like to update the boot loader to use the newer kernel from 32 beta, as this includes the bits necessary to get the ALSA sound driver to split the headphones and built-in speakers from either both playing or none playing. Apparently Manarjo also has a solution to the broken headphone hot-plug jack as well. Sadly, the lack of updated kernel blocks usage of sound in public on this distro.

Does anyone know how to update the bootloader? Alternatively, can we get a 32 build (even if beta?)

-csa
Has anyone experienced any issues with this image and GDM on v32? Out of nowhere (it worked great the last time I booted it) GDM will (sometimes) let me select my user and then fades to a black screen. I can sometimes get a character or 2 in of my password, but password input stops and it fades to a black screen again. I've been able to get out of the black screen by pressing escape, but that puts me back at GDM and the cycle repeats itself.
Hi there,
the image from https://github.com/smithmcgriff/Fedora-o.../README.md runs very smooth. Update to Fedora 32 is already done.
I'm not the Gnome3 fanboy but' s working better then KDE.
Next step is installing Fedora kernel. I think I've read that kernel 5.6 should work with PinebookPro.
Has anybody switched from 5.5.0-pbpro-fedora-5.5.0 to actual kernel (5.6.15-300) ?

Thanks
Andreas
Anyone experiencing that Fedora does not boot always when installed on emmc?
Yesterday I managed to get it up and then after restart due to updates it does not boot anymore, tried like 5-6 times.
(03-23-2020, 08:57 AM)rossk Wrote: I installed the latest kernel (`dnf install kernel`), and it seems like the next thing to do is update /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf.

There's a warning not to manually edit the file, with the recommendation to use `u-boot-update`-- but I don't see a fedora package that provides that command?.

I'll hunt around a bit more, but I might just ignore the warning and edit it by hand anyways.
This is probably a dumb question, but what does dnf install kernel do exactly? If it upgrades the Kernel, why is the kernel not automatically updated with sudo dnf upgrade? I haven't found an answer online anywhere. Thanks!
(06-26-2020, 03:41 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 08:57 AM)rossk Wrote: I installed the latest kernel (`dnf install kernel`), and it seems like the next thing to do is update /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf.

There's a warning not to manually edit the file, with the recommendation to use `u-boot-update`-- but I don't see a fedora package that provides that command?.

I'll hunt around a bit more, but I might just ignore the warning and edit it by hand anyways.
This is probably a dumb question, but what does dnf install kernel do exactly? If it upgrades the Kernel, why is the kernel not automatically updated with sudo dnf upgrade? I haven't found an answer online anywhere. Thanks!

Same here. I didn't find any package that provides u-boot-update, there seems to be a uboot utils package, but that's it. I only managed to break my system as i tried to make a new initframs.

Right now im only thinking that whatever created this uboot setup for fedora was an external tool. I believe we need to look for instructions on how to generate a new u-boot setup, which in turns needs a new initframs with the new kernel.

Can someone point to instructions on how to do this?
Hi,

I have been tinkering some with Fedora on my pinebook-pro but nothing good to report.

update-uboot is part of arm-image-installer

https://pagure.io/arm-image-installer/bl...date-uboot
I copy/paste together a install script that is working. It is nice if somone can help testing.

https://github.com/bengtfredh/pinebook-p...taller.git
(07-25-2020, 12:38 PM)aptupdate Wrote: I copy/paste together a install script that is working. It is nice if somone can help testing.

https://github.com/bengtfredh/pinebook-p...taller.git

I've tested this script. The installation works fine on my Manjaro PinebookPro. But after the script says ready to boot > boot screen is blank. I've waited 2 minutes: nothing.

Andreas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,540 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 371 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 823 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,900 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,339 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 52,854 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,389 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,282 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,379 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,549 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix