Fedora GNOME3 now available
(03-17-2020, 10:10 AM)tophneal Wrote: It's 31 I believe, but if you switch to rawhide, you'll update to 32. Not sure about autoupdating, I tend to run all that myself. Haven't had any issues with sound playback.

Official fedora 32 beta is out now, including ARM. Anyone knows how to install it to eMMC?
https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-th...a-32-beta/
(03-17-2020, 07:23 PM)digeratus1. Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 10:10 AM)tophneal Wrote: It's 31 I believe, but if you switch to rawhide, you'll update to 32. Not sure about autoupdating, I tend to run all that myself. Haven't had any issues with sound playback.

Official fedora 32 beta is out now, including ARM. Anyone knows how to install it to eMMC?

Try using dd or pv with the .img, from the SD. I don't think there's an installer img for it yet.
(03-18-2020, 06:15 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Try using dd or pv with the .img, from the SD. I don't think there's an installer img for it yet.

How did you get sound to work?  The install README says

Quote:To get audio working, you'll need to unmute 'Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC' and 'Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC'. Gnome-alsamixer isn't avaliable in the official repos but it can be grabbed here https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc...-alsamixer

Where do you unmute? I don't see that at all in Sound Settings. Do you need to install the alsamixer RPM first? If so which one and then where do you go to unmute?

Sorry for all the questions but Fedora and Gnome are my go to for Linux and it feels great on the Pinebook Pro.

Thanks
(03-19-2020, 08:28 AM)digeratus1. Wrote:

Quote:To get audio working, you'll need to unmute 'Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC' and 'Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC'. Gnome-alsamixer isn't avaliable in the official repos but it can be grabbed here https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc...-alsamixer

Where do you unmute? I don't see that at all in Sound Settings. Do you need to install the alsamixer RPM first? If so which one and then where do you go to unmute?

Sorry for all the questions but Fedora and Gnome are my go to for Linux and it feels great on the Pinebook Pro.

Thanks

I'm trying to remember. I likely installed the rpm first, since it was given in the instructions.
(03-19-2020, 12:57 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 08:28 AM)digeratus1. Wrote:

Thanks

I'm trying to remember. I likely installed the rpm first, since it was given in the instructions.

I managed to get it to work by installing the aarch64 rpm first and then launching alsamixer.

So far this is the best setup I've tested out of Manjaro KDE 20.02.1 and the default Debian Mate. Browser is silky smooth and suspend works really well. Once there's a beta image for Fedora 32 I'll be the first to test it. I have no doubt this will be the go-to distro for Gnome users once it comes out next month.
(03-20-2020, 11:00 AM)digeratus1. Wrote: So far this is the best setup I've tested out of Manjaro KDE 20.02.1 and the default Debian Mate. Browser is silky smooth and suspend works really well. Once there's a beta image for Fedora 32 I'll be the first to test it. I have no doubt this will be the go-to distro for Gnome users once it comes out next month.

On Reddit, someone told me that these images should work on the PBP, but I haven't had any luck yet:  https://arm.fedoraproject.org/

Should I be waiting for an PBP-specific image?
(03-20-2020, 01:40 PM)rossk Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 11:00 AM)digeratus1. Wrote: So far this is the best setup I've tested out of Manjaro KDE 20.02.1 and the default Debian Mate. Browser is silky smooth and suspend works really well. Once there's a beta image for Fedora 32 I'll be the first to test it. I have no doubt this will be the go-to distro for Gnome users once it comes out next month.

On Reddit, someone told me that these images should work on the PBP, but I haven't had any luck yet:  https://arm.fedoraproject.org/

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the "official" images either, but this one works.
I wouldn't wait. I installed in on the eMMC and then updated to Fedora 32. It flies!!!

To update to 32 once installed this is what you need:

1.sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
Reboot
2.sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
3.sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=32

That's it.

The easiest way to install to eMMC is this:

Get your Pinebook Pro to boot from any SD operating system - Debian, Manjaro, anything. Just make sure it's from an SD. Then download the image linked in this thread via the wiki.

Open a terminal and from the same folder/directory you downloaded the image run:
sudo xzcat fedora-pinebookpro-gnome-0.8.img.xz | sudo dd bs=4M of=/dev/mmcblkX iflag=fullblock oflag=direct status=progress; sync

To find the "X" for your command above, run "lsblk" first to get the list. You want the one that points to the eMMC, not the SD card.

It will take a while but once finished the PBP off and take out the SD card and reboot. Follow the rest of the instructions on how to resize the fs, etc from the OP and then see my comment before on how to upgrade to Fedora 32. Enjoy!!!
[quote pid='62749' dateline='1584796693']
I wouldn't wait. I installed in on the eMMC and then updated to Fedora 32. It flies!!!

Reboot

That's it.
[/quote]
Worked like a charm for me, I now have an SDCard running Fedora 32, thanks! The upgrade from the Fedora 31 image took over 10 hours though, I guess this could be due to the speed of the SDCard.
Fedora 32 feels snappier than both Manjaro KDE and Manjaro GNOME so I think I'll be sticking with this for a while! I'll try copying the SDCard to my NVME drive tomorrow.
Has anyone worked out why Bluetooth isn't working in Fedora yet?
(03-21-2020, 07:18 AM)digeratus1. Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 01:40 PM)rossk Wrote:

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the "official" images either, but this one works.

Reboot

That's it.

The easiest way to install to eMMC is this:

Get your Pinebook Pro to boot from any SD operating system - Debian, Manjaro, anything. Just make sure it's from an SD. Then download the image linked in this thread via the wiki.

Open a terminal and from the same folder/directory you downloaded the image run:
sudo xzcat fedora-pinebookpro-gnome-0.8.img.xz | sudo dd bs=4M of=/dev/mmcblkX iflag=fullblock oflag=direct status=progress; sync

To find the "X" for your command above, run  "lsblk" first to get the list. You want the one that points to the eMMC, not the SD card.

It will take a while but once finished the PBP off and take out the SD card and reboot. Follow the rest of the instructions on how to resize the fs, etc from the OP and then see my comment before on how to upgrade to Fedora 32. Enjoy!!!
This does not upgrade the the kernel to the mainstream fedora 32 kernel.
wds@pinebookpro ~$ uname -a
Linux pinebookpro 5.5.0-pbpro-fedora-5.5.0 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 1 13:04:44 EST 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

This is still the kernel from the initial fc31 install that I have been running for a few months now.
I installed the latest kernel (`dnf install kernel`), and it seems like the next thing to do is update /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf.

There's a warning not to manually edit the file, with the recommendation to use `u-boot-update`-- but I don't see a fedora package that provides that command?.

I'll hunt around a bit more, but I might just ignore the warning and edit it by hand anyways.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,521 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 817 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,874 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,334 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  OpenSUSE with XFCE/ GNOME3 now available Luke 35 52,830 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Last Post: werwolf
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,388 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,281 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,377 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,548 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix