debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(04-29-2020, 12:02 PM)newton688 Wrote: Hi All,

I'm having problems with GPS. It shows my location as 50km away from where I am currently located.

It looks like location is hooked in via the ModemManager. When I follow the manual page for mmcli to get the location at the command-line I'm getting some weird results.

Code:
debian@pinephone:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --enable      
successfully enabled the modem
debian@pinephone:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-status
 ------------------------
 Location | capabilities: 3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea, agps-msa, agps-msb
          |      enabled: 3gpp-lac-ci
          |      signals: no
 ------------------------
 GPS      | refresh rate: 30 seconds
debian@pinephone:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-raw
successfully setup location gathering
debian@pinephone:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-nmea
successfully setup location gathering
debian@pinephone:~$ sudo mmcli -m 0 --location-get  
 --------------------------
 3GPP |      operator code: 302
      |      operator name: 610
      | location area code: FFFE
      | tracking area code: 2D8A
      |            cell id: 01D11F47
 --------------------------
 GPS  |               nmea: ??A?Ui??,,1aB???,X0aBE??5f4P
      |                     ??A:t(??,X0aB???,X0aB???*lXi
      |                     ??A2Ej_?,(1aR???NX0YDE??2?5P
      |                     ??A:4*??AXDaB???,X0aB???,X0aBEJ?2?(

Where's the code for the custom ModemManager? I could have a look and see if I can figure out what goes wrong in my case.

Thanks,
Chris

I have seen this several times when I first bring up Maps, I think it is showing location based on IP address of my WiFi at first, then a few minutes later when GPS has locked in a few satellites it shows my location pretty accurately. 
GPS is not a super strong signal anyway, I have seen it lose lock, or fail to acquire, in well shielded locations like metal buildings or even in heavy forest with little view of the sky.

Note in your code above, line 7:   signals :   no
Hi All! Smile

Is there a way to disable auto-brightness? Nice feature, but drives me crazy.

Thanks!
(04-30-2020, 01:30 AM)cefre00 Wrote: Hi All! Smile

Thanks!

Yup, Settings, Power
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-29-2020, 09:51 PM)wi_badger Wrote: I have seen this several times when I first bring up Maps, I think it is showing location based on IP address of my WiFi at first, then a few minutes later when GPS has locked in a few satellites it shows my location pretty accurately. 
GPS is not a super strong signal anyway, I have seen it lose lock, or fail to acquire, in well shielded locations like metal buildings or even in heavy forest with little view of the sky.

Thanks wi_badger, I'll give it another try outside over a longer period. It's good to hear that it's working for someone else, so maybe the problem is just on my end.

Note the NMEA output in my original post though. The output looks like it is corrupted compared to the sample in the mmcli manual page on the wikipedia, which shows that there are supposed to be values like "$GPGGA,092750.000,5321.6802,N,...". There is no gps raw section at all.

Do you know where the source code is for the custom modemmanager for this image?

Chris
(04-30-2020, 01:56 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:

Thanks!

Yup, Settings, Power

That way does not work. That was my first move. The slider goes to the right, but remains blue and nothing changes. Sad
(04-30-2020, 09:35 AM)newton688 Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 09:51 PM)wi_badger Wrote: I have seen this several times when I first bring up Maps, I think it is showing location based on IP address of my WiFi at first, then a few minutes later when GPS has locked in a few satellites it shows my location pretty accurately. 

Thanks wi_badger, I'll give it another try outside over a longer period. It's good to hear that it's working for someone else, so maybe the problem is just on my end.

Note the NMEA output in my original post though. The output looks like it is corrupted compared to the sample in the mmcli manual page on the wikipedia, which shows that there are supposed to be values like "$GPGGA,092750.000,5321.6802,N,...".  There is no gps raw section at all.

Do you know where the source code is for the custom modemmanager for this image?

Chris

Um, yeah, there did seem to be a lot of ?? in that output, but I'm not familiar enough with raw NMEA output to know what to expect in a no-signal situation ... or how data would get corrupted in any other case.
I do think another try or two would be a good idea, though, just to be sure.

As for the source code, I don't know for sure, but I would start looking at    
https://www.gitlab.com/a-wai/debos-pinephone
  and/or    
https://www.gitlab.com/mobian1/devices/pinephone-linux
Is the wifi hotspot still working for others? For me it opens up for a short time and then just closes and seems to continue looking for an access point to connect.
But I remember it working quite well in an earlier version. I don't use it often enough to know when it stopped working for me.
(04-30-2020, 10:44 AM)cefre00 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 01:56 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:

Thanks!

Yup, Settings, Power

That way does not work. That was my first move. The slider goes to the right, but remains blue and nothing changes. Sad

Sometimes phosh can be perverse - just keep trying left/right clicks, left slides etc and eventually you will get it on the left and grey!

(04-30-2020, 03:35 PM)Boern Wrote: Is the wifi hotspot still working for others? For me it opens up for a short time and then just closes and seems to continue looking for an access point to connect.
But I remember it working quite well in an earlier version. I don't use it often enough to know when it stopped working for me.

I never had it working before this week: my method to get it to work is in the wiki.

PS - Getting the "Turn on Hotspot" menu option to be black/selectable can also be perverse - just go back out, check bluetooth, back to wifi & try menu and repeat as necessary!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
There are a few updates after the latest image but there seems to be an issue with the phoc package. I think it is due to it requiring a different version of libgnome-desktop which was part of the update. I think there are other packages with this problem as well (evince?)
Star 
Hey all!
     I just wanted to start by saying: thanks A-wai! I'm impressed by your diligence: both the regular updates to the images plus the repository are amazing!
     To the mods/community: it seems to me that 467 replies/~41k views(!) might suggest there is sufficient interest to get a Debian pinephone sub-forum?

Cheers!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,912 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,365 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,060 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion