debian+phosh running on PinePhone
Please post IF or When 'Synaptic' app will be compatible
Thanks
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Lasted approx 12 hrs using suspend. Not bad at all.
Suspend disconnects WiFI, so you wouldn't get new email / telegram messages. I haven't tested phone calls, but believe that @a-wai said that the modem can wake the phone up whilst in suspend.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(04-21-2020, 04:06 AM)Luke Wrote: Lasted approx 12 hrs using suspend. Not bad at all.  
Suspend disconnects WiFI, so you wouldn't get new email / telegram messages. I haven't tested phone calls, but believe that @a-wai said that the modem can wake the phone up whilst in suspend.
I believe the modem wake is a qualified yes for now for s2idle suspend - note the comment about answering the call sometimes leaving the modem in a "needs to be rebooted" state. See #411 for background. Do you know if this is addressed in the v1.2 mainboard?
(04-21-2020, 03:04 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: Someting I have noticed in other distros as well is that the time setting for my time zone is initially 1 hour behind, irrespective of whether we are in summer time or not.

Initial timezone is UTC, so that's expected.

(04-21-2020, 03:04 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: Under "Language & Region", I can select a UK keyboard layout, but the only entries in "Language" and "Formats" refer to the United States, they cannot be changed. I don't mind a different spelling occasionally, but would prefer the UK date format.

Locales aren't installed by default, as it would be pointless to generate locales for all possible languages while only one will be used in the end. I have yet to find out how to deal with it, any help would be greatly appreciated Wink

(04-21-2020, 03:04 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: The Geary e-mail client does not let me set up my account correctly. This may be because I own my domain name which is hosted on a provider's server with a different name. Example (not my real e-mail): myself@myname.co.uk can be found at mail.provider.net. But Geary rejects this server.

That sounds like an issue with Geary, please check with the desktop version.

(04-21-2020, 03:04 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: As an alternative, I tried to install Claws Mail, but when I try to set it up, I am running into a strange keyboard glitch: The keys are mapped differently. Pressing Backspace produces "=" signs, for instance. Switching between "English UK" and "Terminal" keyboard layouts does not make a difference.

That's a known issue with apps which aren't wayland-compatible.

(04-21-2020, 03:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Please post  IF  or   When 'Synaptic' app will be compatible

It most likely won't (old design, not worth the effort).

(04-21-2020, 04:06 AM)Luke Wrote: Lasted approx 12 hrs using suspend. Not bad at all.

Cool, thanks for the feedback Smile
(04-21-2020, 03:04 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: 2.
Under "Language & Region", I can select a UK keyboard layout, but the only entries in "Language" and "Formats" refer to the United States, they cannot be changed.

At a terminal prompt
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
then select 140
and 3
(at least those are the options I choose for me in the UK) then you will be able to choose English (UK) for language and United Kingdom formats.
One of my desktop applications, either gnucash or gramps, need the UTF set so I figure it is some kind of lowest denominator and I use it everywhere.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
@a-wai so, is the modem meant to trigger the phone to wake up whilst in suspend on is incoming?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

The Geary e-mail client does not let me set up my account correctly. This may be because I own my domain name which is hosted on a provider's server with a different name. Example (not my real e-mail): myself@myname.co.uk can be found at mail.provider.net. But Geary rejects this server.

One problem I had setting up Geary accounts (may or may not apply to you) is that my service provider uses starttls rather than the default tks. The drop down for fixing this appears "off screen ' at the default resolution. If you install the screen resize utioity and set it to 1.75.  then you can access it. If it's not the same problem, using this resolution may reveal more info.
(04-21-2020, 03:20 PM)Luke Wrote: @a-wai so, is the modem meant to trigger the phone to wake up whilst in suspend on is incoming?

The modem should trigger a wake up if the phone is suspended, that should work out of the box with the latest image.

(04-21-2020, 03:50 PM)pjsf Wrote: One problem I had setting up Geary accounts (may or may not apply to you) is that my service provider uses starttls rather than the default tks. The drop down for fixing this appears "off screen ' at the default resolution. If you install the screen resize utioity and set it to 1.75.  then you can access it. If it's not the same problem, using this resolution may reveal more info.

Right, I understand better now.

FYI, I don't plan to spend any more time on Geary as I already have a huge backlog, but I'm considering setting a scale factor of 1.8 by default (instead of 2 currently), which would get us ~10% more usable screen space, while still retaining good usability IMHO.
That would require a bit of work to get phosh working as expected, but I'd be interested in knowing what others think about that.
(04-21-2020, 06:14 PM)a-wai Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 03:20 PM)Luke Wrote: @a-wai so, is the modem meant to trigger the phone to wake up whilst in suspend on is incoming?

The modem should trigger a wake up if the phone is suspended, that should work out of the box with the latest image.

(04-21-2020, 03:50 PM)pjsf Wrote: One problem I had setting up Geary accounts (may or may not apply to you) is that my service provider uses starttls rather than the default tks. The drop down for fixing this appears "off screen ' at the default resolution. If you install the screen resize utioity and set it to 1.75.  then you can access it. If it's not the same problem, using this resolution may reveal more info.

Right, I understand better now.

FYI, I don't plan to spend any more time on Geary as I already have a huge backlog, but I'm considering setting a scale factor of 1.8 by default (instead of 2 currently), which would get us ~10% more usable screen space, while still retaining good usability IMHO.
That would require a bit of work to get phosh working as expected, but I'd be interested in knowing what others think about that.

I've not really kept up with this, but is there any way to get phosh to 'remember' the settings that have already been set in the scale screen utility? I always have to reset  my scaling to 1.75 after reboot. A default of 1.8 does seem very workable.

Had a bit of an issue this morning with what looked like an attempt to suspend during video playback. latest 5.6 kernel, and I've got auto suspend set to off, but after watching 5 mins of full screen youtube in firefox, the screen froze and the system stopped accepting input, the audio however, was still playing. Eventually I had to hard reset with a long powerkey press. On restart it looked like the phone was trying to come out of suspend, i.e the previous video display came back up for a few seconds before the debian splash screen which immediately went into it's failed state ( the progress indicator whizzing round really fast),. A second reset bought everything back to normal. Not asking for support, just a data point in case it's of use to you.
(04-21-2020, 06:30 PM)pjsf Wrote: I've not really kept up with this, but is there any way to get phosh to 'remember' the settings that have already been set in the scale screen utility? I always have to reset  my scaling to 1.75 after reboot. A default of 1.8 does seem very workable.

The default scale can be set in '/usr/share/phosh/rootston.ini' in the '[output:DSI-1]' section.
After editing you should restart phosh with 'systemctl restart phosh.service' as superuser to activate the changes you made.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,908 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,325 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion