debian+phosh running on PinePhone
Hello,

I've been tweaking with my pinephone for some time, and debian+phosh seems closer to what I'm looking for.

What is frustrating me the most as for now, is clipboard and  firefox : xclip does not work, and firefox does not seem to understand Gnome's clipboard at all. Since I use pass as a password manager, and although it installs without any problem, it is unusable.
Also firefox refuses to log in some sites : firefox sync Cry , (and duolingo , etc.)

Anybody have a clue ?
(04-01-2020, 08:51 AM)Lanza Wrote: Also firefox refuses to log in some sites : firefox sync Cry , (and duolingo , etc.)

Replying to myself, solution for firefox sync (and duolingo, and others, as passwords get injected and not hand copied). Searched for hours, found as soon as I sent previous post.

Partial solution for xclip (thus pass) is wl-clipboard, which .deb is available. Complete solution may be wl-clipboard-x11, but no .deb package, did not try yet.
(03-31-2020, 09:34 PM)rico Wrote: Can you tell us a little more about the image you're using.
Positions of your hard switches
Everything can help us to help you.

Here is my process. The PinePhone hard switches are all on and have never been flicked off. I have only been taking the back cover off and battery out and inserting the SD card. Wherever possible, powering off the phone either by menu or with the power button (power cycle).

I prepared the SD card by dd-ing the images obtained by a-wai's website, to the SD card. I usually resize the partition while connected to it by computer before inserting into phone.

However, more recently I skip the SD card and have been using JumpDrive to expose the eMMC and dd directly to eMMC. I usually resize partition then (and iirc the partition is unmounted).

Let me know if you need anything else. See also comment below.

(04-01-2020, 01:53 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 09:08 PM)buffer Wrote: After boot, screen just dims and when turned on, you unlock it...and it simply shows nothing. It is just stuck like this. Impossible to interrupt. Happens across reboots.

See my previous posts please:

(03-29-2020, 12:15 PM)a-wai Wrote: What's the content of /sys/devices/platform/soc/1c2b000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0048/iio:device1/in_proximity_raw ?
And what happens if you delete file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-proximity.rules ?

(03-30-2020, 07:04 AM)a-wai Wrote: Can you try putting your hand over the phone (top-left corner) and send me the in_proximity_raw value for different distances? (say approximately 1cm, 2cm, 3cm, 5cm and 10cm)
Also, what is the value of in_proximity_scale and in_proximity_integration_time in the same folder?

I wanted to give you these but cannot see a way to get through. Unless I have some kind of specialized debugging hardware I wont be able to get the logs you need because I can't ssh into the device. Unless I am missing something, we can't do that right now right? Or is there a preset IP address?

Or if you mean for me to edit the image directly before dd-ing it? Or is there some other tool or step I have missed and should know about?
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
I am 7 or 8 hours behind on the clock time here in Arizona US.
Just did the most recent 'update'.
first reboot resulted in a black screen, no apparent activity, hard shut down then rebooted,
start up screen 'started' but the spinning icon went from normal, to a very fast spin, and just stayed on that screen. hard shut down then rebooted.
Third try the phone started as normal, unlocked screen, all seems normal again now.
Phone, text, browser ...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(04-01-2020, 09:35 AM)buffer Wrote: Or if you mean for me to edit the image directly before dd-ing it? Or is there some other tool or step I have missed and should know about?

Nothing specific, just remove the udev rule by mounting the SD card on a pc, or using jumpdrive if you flash to emmc.
(04-01-2020, 09:32 AM)Lanza Wrote: solution for firefox sync

Thanks for the firefox sync tip. Smile
(04-01-2020, 02:22 PM)nas Wrote: No ruler to measure accurately but screen dims to black at about 2cm away, proximity value of ~250. With hand touching phone, value is ~689. Moving hand away progressively reduces value until it reads 13.

in_proximity_integration_time stays at 0.000370.
Right, normal values for you, I guess your phone is usable then Wink
Okay after some days with the last build. It seems that the WiFi problem results when the phone gets in Idle Mode. When I wake up the phone after some time, the WiFi Keyword window appears instantly. Fedora have now the same problem because they use the same WiFi driver. ?
After phone was on, and disconnected from charger for roughly 5 hours,
opened desktop screen and found disturbing flash approximately 3 flashes per 2 seconds
Was at 28% charge with auto brightness turned off.
Restarted phone and flash did not return.

?..?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
There's indeed a regression when it comes to wifi functionality. I did not test other distros for few weeks, but as said previously:

I did test all major distributions few weeks ago and wifi was much better:
- stable signal 
- stronger signal

The wifi functionality in current debian+phosh is very dissapointing (even though it's probably related to the driver and not the distro itself). I can prove it by testing other current distro builds - if I'm going to have a time for this.

I have a mikrotik router at home (with stronger signal than usual 'hobby' routers) and even standing 2 meters from it the wifi icon does not signalize full signal. I think I don't have to add that other iOS, Android devices at my home don't have this problem.

another question ..what app is recommended for terminal ? the keyboard in the "king's cross" is not usable to do anything in the terminal efficiently.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,452 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,912 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,364 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,059 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion