debian+phosh running on PinePhone
Tried the new image and I really like how this is coming along. The automatic brightness works really quite well - despite acting a bit drunk in a dim room with multiple light sources. In direct sunlight or in relative darkness it works spot-on however.

Issues to report: the UI sometimes becomes completely unresponsive - nothing I could find in logs that would indicate whats the cause of this.

General questions: @a-wai would you consider shipping Firefox? I can tell it runs much better than GNOME Browser (Epiphany), and all it really needs is a few adjustments so it scales to the vertical panel correctly.

Other questions: would you consider hooking up the vibration motor soon-ish? then I can actually try it out in the field Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Latest image 3/22 caught in a boot loop again. No idea why. Will try to track down a log if I can get in. It booted once after initial dd burn and then I installed openssh-server (why did this go away a few images ago?? First thing I always so is SSH in).

Hit power... LED comes on... splash screen shows... goes blank... LED comes on... splash screen shows... wash rinse and repeat.

EDIT: re-burned with dd and it boots again so something with apt installing openssh-server is messing it up. I'll just use King's Cross I guess. No big deal. Sorry to bother.
(03-23-2020, 08:46 AM)buskmann Wrote: But the part with changing the user seems like its not worth it.
I think so yes, at least for now... However your suggestion of using the UID instead of the username for starting phosh is a good one, this wil happen when I release a new phosh package

(03-23-2020, 08:46 AM)buskmann Wrote: Im learning a lot from this now, and its really fun. I live in Spain, where we have nationwide quarantine, so i have to have something like this to occupy me, or else i would go crazy..
Hehe, same here in France Wink

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Issues to report: the UI sometimes becomes completely unresponsive - nothing I could find in logs that would indicate whats the cause of this.
Interesting, were you doing anything specific when it happened ?

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: General questions: @a-wai would you consider shipping Firefox? I can tell it runs much better than GNOME Browser (Epiphany), and all it really needs is a few adjustments so it scales to the vertical panel correctly.
I know it can be installed easily and runs mostly fine, but I figured we would stick with Epiphany for the time being... Unless there's a demand to have it installed on the default image? This is easy to do, so let's see what people think about it...

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Other questions: would you consider hooking up the vibration motor soon-ish? then I can actually try it out in the field Smile
Actually it is already hooked up, but the vibration is really too low intensity and short to notice, hopefully things will improve during the week Wink

(03-23-2020, 10:23 AM)parkerwb Wrote: Latest image 3/22 caught in a boot loop again. No idea why. Will try to track down a log if I can get in. It booted once after initial dd burn and then I installed openssh-server (why did this go away a few images ago?? First thing I always so is SSH in).
Weird, I'll try with a fresh install to see if I can replicate here, thanks for the report!
From a GUI users stand point This is working very well,

> Start-up seems to work best if I hold start for a full  4 seconds...  seems to hang if I only hold power button for 2 or 3 seconds.

> Occasionally when using text app for a long period of time,  it turns itself off,  ( battery was still at 39% )
     ( or does a 'restart' )

> What is official status on the cell data ?
      On several attempts to connect, I received the message from AT&T that my account did not include data  ( but it does )

That implies I did actually connect, but I was "blocked" by my service provider.
      I spent over an hour on the phone talking to a AT&T tech,  he said I need a new sim card and they are sending me one.
         So I am waiting for this sim card to come in the mail.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-23-2020, 04:58 PM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 08:46 AM)buskmann Wrote: But the part with changing the user seems like its not worth it.
I think so yes, at least for now... However your suggestion of using the UID instead of the username for starting phosh is a good one, this wil happen when I release a new phosh package

(03-23-2020, 08:46 AM)buskmann Wrote: Im learning a lot from this now, and its really fun. I live in Spain, where we have nationwide quarantine, so i have to have something like this to occupy me, or else i would go crazy..
Hehe, same here in France Wink

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Issues to report: the UI sometimes becomes completely unresponsive - nothing I could find in logs that would indicate whats the cause of this.
Interesting, were you doing anything specific when it happened ?

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: General questions: @a-wai would you consider shipping Firefox? I can tell it runs much better than GNOME Browser (Epiphany), and all it really needs is a few adjustments so it scales to the vertical panel correctly.
I know it can be installed easily and runs mostly fine, but I figured we would stick with Epiphany for the time being... Unless there's a demand to have it installed on the default image? This is easy to do, so let's see what people think about it...

(03-23-2020, 10:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Other questions: would you consider hooking up the vibration motor soon-ish? then I can actually try it out in the field Smile
Actually it is already hooked up, but the vibration is really too low intensity and short to notice, hopefully things will improve during the week Wink

(03-23-2020, 10:23 AM)parkerwb Wrote: Latest image 3/22 caught in a boot loop again. No idea why. Will try to track down a log if I can get in. It booted once after initial dd burn and then I installed openssh-server (why did this go away a few images ago?? First thing I always so is SSH in).
Weird, I'll try with a fresh install to see if I can replicate here, thanks for the report!

A simple 'Yes Please!' to Firefox. 

a-wai, Thank you for all the great work!
@a-wai my argument 'for' Firefox is that its much snappier than Epiphany and, if ran from eMMC, its really quite a solid experience. You can also manually set caching to RAM making it yet faster. I am just not sure how to fix the scaling issue.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Would adding a bit of 'swap'  add to the performance,  or is that mostly for "old equipment"  ?

RE: parkerwb post #246,  could that be as I noted earlier ?   too short of a push on the power button when starting ?

Seems that,  or something similar happens to me when I do not hold the power button until count of 4...  after that, a perfect start-up.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-23-2020, 07:26 PM)bcnaz Wrote: RE: parkerwb post #246,  could that be as I noted earlier ?   too short of a push on the power button when starting ?

I will try that thanks!

I would also vote for Firefox or even better Morph. After using UT for a few days the Morph browsing experience seems better than any other I've experienced so far. UT has SO many little annoying things though, but some like browsing are pretty butter at this point.

Overall DebPhosh is way better though I think. I can't seem to get my timezone to set no matter what I try so I'll just live in "London" for now LOL and, for some reason, the Geary account setup number-3 on the keyboard doesn't work... and guess who has some 3s in his password.

But... I LOVE you for trying to get Geary working. :o)

Also... maybe it's where I live, but the PP antenna tuning is just crap it seems. No range at all. My iPhone picks up 4G full bars and sitting right next to it is 4G PP 1 bar struggling to stay connected. Dunno. I have no expectations and I'm stupid anyways so it's all fun!
For the timezone :

Allow positioning in settings -} privacy pan
And in settings -} details -} date and time allow automatic timezone
Then connect to a network.

After that you can remove positionning, the tzdata will be keep

Enjoy
Is there a GUI for the phone ringer sounds ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,910 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,330 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion