debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(03-19-2020, 05:40 AM)vinnie Wrote: thanks to Dukla who advised me to try this distribution (debian-pinephone-20200314 version) I want to report my experience.

Working:
- the calls work both outgoing and incoming, the audioo is not perfect (but I had launched an AT command with pmos and probably have to launch another one to compress the audio less)
- I can switch between the two speakers during the call
- sms work, the only problem is that I don't have the notifications for the sms arrived and I have to check periodically
- wifi working
- gps working!
- i'm not sure yet, but it looks like i don't have the battery draining problem while the phone is off

Trouble:
- mobile data not working, if I activate the switch the call signal goes away too (do I have to give some command at to activate the modem?)
- sometimes there are problems with the touch that seems to lose calibration until a reboot
- I noticed that by pulling down the panel (which also contains the power off button) and pressing the side button to turn off the screen (without pulling up the previous panel), when I turn on the screen again the touch doesn't respond anymore and the only thing I can do is to turn off the phone by holding down the side button for a long time (is this a dangerous operation? someone told me that I risk to damage the modem firmware by not following a proper shutdown procedure)
- the keyboard does not have the keys I use with the pc, such as alt, ctrl, function keys, unfortunately these are indispensable with linux. Example I can't save files edited with nano.
- resolution: what is the resolution of the phone? I have some applications that start at a fixed resolution but it seems to me that they still come out of the screen. And for these programs, I don't know how to resize and/or move the windows and so even if the programs work, I can't use them!
- cam not working, but it is already knowed

Anyway, the impression you get from the phone is that I finally have a free and open device in my hands, so thanks again for your efforts.

Mobile Data working for me
I had also some issues with touchpad, but did'nt checked why yet (not really important at this step, maybe related to active corners in gsettings or something else)
for nano use F2 from the terminal view (F3, F4 and F6 also have function if i remember well)
[edit]
See here for nano ctrl and function keys :

https://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/sedwards/N...mands.html
[/edit]
Native screen resolution is 720x1440 but what you see is half (a quarter in fact) of that 360x720

thank's for your report.
(03-19-2020, 05:25 AM)rico Wrote: 2020/03/19 11:12:18 apt |  udev : Depends: libudev1 (= 245-2+pinephone1) but 245.2-1 is to be installed

Trying another way Big Grin
Damn systemd! My patch went upstream, but too late for this release it seems...
I'll build a new package asap
(03-19-2020, 06:06 AM)rico Wrote: Mobile Data working for me
I had also some issues with touchpad, but did'nt checked why yet (not really important at this step, maybe related to active corners in gsettings or something else)
for nano use F2 from the terminal view (F3, F4 and F6 also have function if i remember well)
[edit]
See here for nano ctrl and function keys :

https://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/sedwards/N...mands.html
[/edit]
Native screen resolution is 720x1440 but what you see is half (a quarter in fact) of that 360x720

thank's for your report.

and thanks too for your answer Smile , do you also have a modem tip? maybe I need to activate something with an AT command?
I'm a little worried because I don't want to have any hardware problems that do not permit to me to have a full use of the phone
Quote:Native screen resolution is 720x1440 but what you see is half (a quarter in fact) of that 360x720

I would like to have the high resolution as well. Is there any way to swich?
(03-18-2020, 03:10 PM)buffer Wrote: tbh it's easier to use Jumpdrive after you build the image on a computer

Do you mean building the image to be the exact size of the drive?

I used Jumpdrive to flash it to the phones internal storage, and the partition is alot smaller then the drive:

NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk2      179:0    0 14.7G  0 disk
`-mmcblk2p1  179:1    0  3.7G  0 part /
mmcblk2boot0 179:32   0    4M  1 disk
mmcblk2boot1 179:64   0    4M  1 disk

Another question i have is that I would like to make a keyboard layout for the terminal, and I looked up this guide:

https://developer.puri.sm/projects/squee...orial.html

but when i put the layout into:
Code:
~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/

it is not picked up by squeekboard.
I might have misunderstood what i have to do.
(03-19-2020, 03:40 AM)bcnaz Wrote: After using Balena Etcher to flash this SD card I ran 'Disk' and resized to the full 31.9gb of the SD card.
any comments on that ?

I use GParted for the same task, inside WSL on Windows 10, in combination with a X Server.

Win10 => WSL (Ubuntu) => SSH on the PinePhone => export DISPLAY=192.168.x.x:0.0 => sudo gparted
I like to do it with a GUI.  Tongue
(03-19-2020, 05:25 AM)rico Wrote: 2020/03/19 11:12:18 apt |  udev : Depends: libudev1 (= 245-2+pinephone1) but 245.2-1 is to be installed
Fixed Smile
(03-19-2020, 12:15 PM)a-wai Wrote:
Fixed Smile

Build is running.
Still on "pinephone-phosh-phone" version...

Thank you boss !

(03-19-2020, 09:29 AM)buskmann Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 03:10 PM)buffer Wrote: tbh it's easier to use Jumpdrive after you build the image on a computer

Do you mean building the image to be the exact size of the drive?

I used Jumpdrive to flash it to the phones internal storage, and the partition is alot smaller then the drive:

NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk2      179:0    0 14.7G  0 disk
`-mmcblk2p1  179:1    0  3.7G  0 part /
mmcblk2boot0 179:32   0    4M  1 disk
mmcblk2boot1 179:64   0    4M  1 disk

Another question i have is that I would like to make a keyboard layout for the terminal, and I looked up this guide:

https://developer.puri.sm/projects/squee...orial.html

but when i put the layout into:
Code:
~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/

it is not picked up by squeekboard.
I might have misunderstood what i have to do.

Did you set the gsettings string ?
as they explain in your link :

Quote:Creating the keyboard layout
  • To be written: For the time being, take a look at Using non-latin language on Librem 5
  • The correct name of the .yaml file can be found with the command
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
The output should be something like this:
Code:
[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'de')]
So f.ex. “de.yaml” would be the correct name for the German keyboard layout.

so to set it' the same but with 'set' instead of get.
(03-19-2020, 03:07 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 05:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Should we just do 'Updates' for now  or wait for new releases  to download ?
Just go with apt (or gnome-software) for updates, I'll probably be switching to a weekly release cycle.

My Gnome Software showed 3 separate update notifications yesterday and one update today so far (Thursday, March 19, 2020 )
     >                Is this correct ?

One of yesterdays updates seems to have cleared the previous texts.

>  Over-all this is a Great Distro,   Thank You !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-19-2020, 12:35 PM)rico Wrote: Did you set the gsettings string ?
as they explain in your link :

Quote:Creating the keyboard layout
  • To be written: For the time being, take a look at Using non-latin language on Librem 5
  • The correct name of the .yaml file can be found with the command
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
The output should be something like this:
Code:
[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'de')]
So f.ex. “de.yaml” would be the correct name for the German keyboard layout.

so to set it' the same but with 'set' instead of get.

I did not.. Thank you.. It now works at least in the browser and gedit, but not in the terminal. Seems like its getting forced to the built in "terminal" layout in the terminal. Even if i choose the "emoji", it shows the same "terminal" layout.  Undecided

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,450 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,911 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,352 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,058 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion