debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(02-19-2020, 02:29 AM)a-wai Wrote: EDIT: Package "powersupply" is now in my repo, to install it just run:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install powersupply

You might also want to apt upgrade, as I've updated the kernel with a more stable wifi driver (actually the old one, but it works better than the current one for now)

Fantastic!! Thank you SO much. I was going to mention the WiFi driver as I've had to use nmcli off/on reboot to get it working and then it's still flaky having to connect to "Hidden" for broadcast SSIDs etc., but it usually works eventually.

I will try to learn more and as fast as I can to maybe be able to help out in the future as DebPhosh is my favorite Pinephone flavor by far.
I don't know if this is the best place for this, maybe we can get a forum along with the other distros? Anyway, I'm successfully building but I'm having trouble with the power button, I can't seem to reliably turn my BraveHeart on, is there a document that describes how the button is supposed to work? I'm thinking about adding code (probably to uboot) to turn on the LED and maybe other points in the startup process to provide some feedback.
We should look for rewrite some of DTS (Device Tree Structure) file, and then compile it into DTB (Device Tree Blob) file by DTC (Device Tree Compiled). DTC could be used from Debian CLI, but the problem is with documentation. No problem find general information, but it is a little bit worse when You trying to find -for example- details for modem specification (You must include correct values into DTS file about it, if You want estabilish any call/connection by call a number of GSM network - this is a modem responsibilities).
I really don't know who should i ask for some of details from specification of PinePhone, because it is a problem to get some information from Pine64 team. I really hope they support really free and open source idea, but for know it doesn't look like..
Many information about Pine64 chips and hardware (if we talking about DTS files) there are included into offcial Linux source code which You could find here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux

BUT unfortunatelly there is not at all information and details about PinePhone. Now... Where we should looking for details of specification, or even correctly comparing PinePhone DTS with any other A64 Allwinner chip and so on?
(02-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Beattie Wrote: I'm having trouble with the power button, I can't seem to reliably turn my BraveHeart on, is there a document that describes how the button is supposed to work? I'm thinking about adding code (probably to uboot) to turn on the LED and maybe other points in the startup process to provide some feedback.
Sure, for the next image I modified the u-boot script to light up the LED, but it still happens a bit late, I'll see to enabling it earlier.
At the moment, the best way to make sure the phone is booting is to connect a serial adapter cable to the headphone jack and monitor the UART output, but early-boot visual feedback is being worked on Wink

(02-21-2020, 01:52 PM)j23 Wrote: BUT unfortunatelly there is not at all information and details about PinePhone. Now... Where we should looking for details of specification, or even correctly comparing PinePhone DTS with any other A64 Allwinner chip and so on?
I'm not sure to understand what's your point here ?
The dts provided by Pine64 looks perfectly fine to me, and enables most components (I already got the sound, modem and graphics acceleration working for the next image release)
There are also a bunch of details, including the phone schematics, on the wiki.
(02-22-2020, 10:04 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Beattie Wrote: I'm having trouble with the power button, I can't seem to reliably turn my BraveHeart on, is there a document that describes how the button is supposed to work? I'm thinking about adding code (probably to uboot) to turn on the LED and maybe other points in the startup process to provide some feedback.
Sure, for the next image I modified the u-boot script to light up the LED, but it still happens a bit late, I'll see to enabling it earlier.
At the moment, the best way to make sure the phone is booting is to connect a serial adapter cable to the headphone jack and monitor the UART output, but early-boot visual feedback is being worked on Wink
That's great I was thinking about doing that, I've got the bits for the serial port on order(hopefully tomorrow). Can you tell me where you are getting the u-boot source?
You have the u-boot sources on Pine64's gitlab.
Take care to first clone and compile arm-trusted-firmware (available on gitlab too), as you'll need the generated bl31.bin to compile u-boot (by specifying its path using the BL31 env variable).
So, still making progress on this, with a new image available here.

What's new with this release:
- early-boot visual feedback (green LED as soon as the phone is powered on)
- debian splash screen & desktop background
- basic modem support: enables mobile internet (at least on first boot, more on that later) and text messages
- graphics acceleration makes the interface actually usable
- new and/or improved default apps (Contacts, Calculator, Clocks, Powersupply, Software & a few games)

What's still not working:
- audio recording
- voice calls
- camera (mostly a userspace issue)
- bluetooth

Known issues:
- the default "SIM unlock" dialog is not working, you have to go to Settings -> Mobile and then press the "Unlock" button
- mobile internet does not work after a reboot, due to a NetworkManager/ModemManager issue; workaround: simply delete the corresponding NetworkManager connection (named after the APN) prior to rebooting. Of course, this means re-creating the APN afterwards, but it's still better than no connection at all...
- unlike upstream debian, libwebkit2gtk doesn't use the WPE renderer (it caused epiphany & midori to crash upon startup)
- audio playback goes through both the speaker & headphone jack
- lots of apps have wide dialogs, with buttons being drawn out of the screen

All in all, a pretty sexy release I believe Smile
Upcoming work will be focused on the "mobile internet" issue, then I'll switch to solving the audio-related stuff (including audio routing, which will pave the way for voice calls)
(02-22-2020, 10:04 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 01:52 PM)j23 Wrote: BUT unfortunatelly there is not at all information and details about PinePhone. Now... Where we should looking for details of specification, or even correctly comparing PinePhone DTS with any other A64 Allwinner chip and so on?
I'm not sure to understand what's your point here ?
The dts provided by Pine64 looks perfectly fine to me, and enables most components (I already got the sound, modem and graphics acceleration working for the next image release)
There are also a bunch of details, including the phone schematics, on the wiki.

Here: is instruction how to install Debian netinst version.
Following the instruction You can find file such like: sun50i-a64-pine64_plus.dtb -> this is obviously device tree blob for Pine64 Plus board (with the same SoC like PinePhone, okey - as for now, no big deal, cool), BUT after You will try install install this version of Debian You will probably have some problems with -for example- configuration of WiFi, setting modem (SIM, IMEI, and so on) - BECAUSE there is no information (or incorrect setup, i am not sure) inside sun50i-a64-pine64_plus.dtb about WiFi/MODEM settings. To repair WiFi settings i just downloaded: sun50i-a64-pine64_plus.dts (DTS - device tree structure) from this github and then just added some lines with WiFi value of Realtec, then save, compile from dts to dtb via DTC (device tree compiler). Easy... but it's not enough, because WiFi still doesn't work. So, in very short answer this is something like that problems which i planning solve soon. That's why i am looking for any detailed documentation/specification of PinePhone subdevices/components. I know the DTS/DTB file for Pine64-Plus is complete and smooth working, but it is not the same situation for PinePhone unfortunatelly (even it is the same SoC). There is few differencies between Pine64 A64 regular devices and A64 PinePhone (like SDL in BIOS, but this is another issue). I know the wiki link You share (but thank You anyway! -it's nice You trying help, thanks). Meanwhile i am testing Ubuntu Touch (for another micro SD card). So, that's the way it is about looking - it's all okey about Pine64 or Pine 64 Plus, but i meaned looking for details about PinePhone ONLY. Thank You for Your answer, and link! Smile Cheers
Excellent work and a worthwhile addition! Also, I am probably blind - but what are the credentials? [edit] ah, 1234 ... who would have thought Wink
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

what a great work. Many thx. I was on the way to put ma phone away because all OS where so sad. But with your debian, I have found what I was looking for.

Pls. let me know if I can make a donation to you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,106 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,908 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,214 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,146 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,675 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion