debian+phosh running on PinePhone
(04-19-2020, 03:36 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 11:24 AM)TimotheeLF Wrote: I recently saw that battery life on Ubuntu touch has been increased a lot with the addition of CRUST. Is there any plans to incorporate it in the Debian image ?
As previously mentioned, work in this direction will be part of the next release. Please note, however, that it has its drawbacks, such as incoming calls not waking up the phone atm (even in UT, no OS has it figured out yet), so it's really experimental and not fit for using the phone as a daily driver.
I thought not waking from suspend on call or text was down to hardware:
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh..._connected
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...nts_wakeup
I can imagine how CRUST might be able to change which pins can receive interrupts in suspend, but a pin that's not connected is another matter entirely. Have I misunderstood the nature of the problem, or does 'figured it out' mean 'found an undocumented behaviour we can use as a workaround'?
(04-19-2020, 05:19 AM)wibble Wrote: I thought not waking from suspend on call or text was down to hardware:
I can imagine how CRUST might be able to change which pins can receive interrupts in suspend, but a pin that's not connected  is another matter entirely. Have I misunderstood the nature of the problem, or does 'figured it out' mean 'found an undocumented behaviour we can use as a workaround'?
That surely complicates things, but testing s2idle shows that we can do without AP_READY, although more work is needed to make wakeup from RI reliable.
It should also be possible to hack the crust firmware and linux kernel to keep GPIO port B powered on and able to process interrupts during suspend, which would allow wakeup from modem. Admittedly we're still a long way from there, and I may be wrong about that, but I really believe it should be possible.
(04-19-2020, 06:22 AM)a-wai Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 05:19 AM)wibble Wrote: I thought not waking from suspend on call or text was down to hardware:
I can imagine how CRUST might be able to change which pins can receive interrupts in suspend, but a pin that's not connected  is another matter entirely. Have I misunderstood the nature of the problem, or does 'figured it out' mean 'found an undocumented behaviour we can use as a workaround'?
That surely complicates things, but testing s2idle shows that we can do without AP_READY, although more work is needed to make wakeup from RI reliable.
It should also be possible to hack the crust firmware and linux kernel to keep GPIO port B powered on and able to process interrupts during suspend, which would allow wakeup from modem. Admittedly we're still a long way from there, and I may be wrong about that, but I really believe it should be possible.
Thanks for the details - that's a little more positive than I was expecting. I won't be complaining if it doesn't happen though - something like this was one of the anticipated risks buying the initial hardware release.
New week, new release !

The major features this week are, as previously mentioned, the move to a 5.6 kernel and integration of the crust power management firmware.
Other topics include a few software upgrades, but I mostly worked towards getting phosh-related packages accepted into Debian (which is progressing well so far), so nothing really important to mention here.

Unless you're an experienced developer, I strongly suggest you start with a fresh image instead of upgrading using apt this time. For those wanting to use apt anyway, the following steps are fairly simple, but keep in mind bad things will happen if something goes wrong:

Code:
# First, upgrade the whole system
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
# Install the new bootloader (and crust firmware)
sudo u-boot-install-sunxi64 /dev/mmcblkX # X being 0 for the SD card, 2 for the eMMC
# Install the new kernel and remove the old one
sudo apt install linux-image-5.6-pinephone
sudo apt remove linux-image-5.5-pinephone

Now, regarding power management:
  • auto-suspend is disabled by default: this is still experimental, and shouldn't be enabled if you use your phone as a daily driver
  • s2idle auto-suspend can be enabled through Settings -> Power; the modem will wake up the phone on an incoming phone call or SMS, but answering the call can fail and leave the modem in a "reboot-required" state
  • crust suspend (aka "deep sleep") can only be triggered through sysfs for now, and it might require a reboot to recover network connectivity after resuming

Given the experimental status, please don't report issues regarding this feature (unless you can provide really helpful logs, in which case please file an issue on gitlab)
(04-20-2020, 11:05 AM)a-wai Wrote: New week, new release !

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  More strength to your bow, Sir!

(04-20-2020, 11:05 AM)a-wai Wrote: ...
s2idle auto-suspend can be enabled through Settings -> Power;

As far as I car see this must be by enabling "Automatic Suspend", is that correct?
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in the thread, but on a freshly-flashed image is there a way to enable SSH without using the serial console? I've got a serial cable but it's a little bit of a hassle if I'm re-flashing often.
(04-20-2020, 09:55 PM)jfloren Wrote: Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in the thread, but on a freshly-flashed image is there a way to enable SSH without using the serial console? I've got a serial cable but it's a little bit of a hassle if I'm re-flashing often.

maybe:
sudo apt install openssh-server
(04-20-2020, 09:55 PM)jfloren Wrote: Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in the thread, but on a freshly-flashed image is there a way to enable SSH without using the serial console? I've got a serial cable but it's a little bit of a hassle if I'm re-flashing often.

You can get a console using the terminal application on the phone.
(04-20-2020, 01:57 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: As far as I car see this must be by enabling "Automatic Suspend", is that correct?

Yep
A few observations about the image posted yesterday (20 April):

Someting I have noticed in other distros as well is that the time setting for my time zone is initially 1 hour behind, irrespective of whether we are in summer time or not (I noticed this back in March before we turned the clocks). For instance, it is now 9.44am in the UK, but on first boot my Pinephone shows 8.44am. To correct this, I need to select another time zone and then go back to London, UK. This will load the time correctly. - Not a high priority, but perhaps it should be put on a "bug list" to be dealt with later.

Under "Language & Region", I can select a UK keyboard layout, but the only entries in "Language" and "Formats" refer to the United States, they cannot be changed. I don't mind a different spelling occasionally, but would prefer the UK date format.

The Geary e-mail client does not let me set up my account correctly. This may be because I own my domain name which is hosted on a provider's server with a different name. Example (not my real e-mail): myself@myname.co.uk can be found at mail.provider.net. But Geary rejects this server.

As an alternative, I tried to install Claws Mail, but when I try to set it up, I am running into a strange keyboard glitch: The keys are mapped differently. Pressing Backspace produces "=" signs, for instance. Switching between "English UK" and "Terminal" keyboard layouts does not make a difference.

Apart from that, I am pleased that many apps now use the screen dimensions correctly, although I am not a big fan of Phosh itself because the running apps display takes up half the screen which IMO is not necessary. But this is is not your fault. It's the same in each Phosh distro.

Manyy thanks for the good work!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,105 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,904 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Using sway along phosh fdlamotte 2 3,213 05-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: kabouik
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,106 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,246 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,674 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion