Multiple OS on SD card
(02-06-2020, 03:36 PM)z4v4l Wrote: * - neither Windows nor Android won't format an SD card with anything other than FAT and I think the same applies to iOS.

Rubbish - read the Android Adoptable Storage docs and you'll see that they require a filesystem with recommend ext4 or f2fs. SD manufacturers are fully aware of this - it's one of the reasons for them developing the application rating for their cards (A1 etc.)
(02-07-2020, 12:07 PM)wibble Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:36 PM)z4v4l Wrote: * - neither Windows nor Android won't format an SD card with anything other than FAT and I think the same applies to iOS.

Rubbish - read the Android Adoptable Storage docs and you'll see that they require a filesystem with recommend ext4 or f2fs. SD manufacturers are fully aware of this - it's one of the reasons for them developing the application rating for their cards (A1 etc.)
do you distinguish between internal storage of a phone (eMMC, UFS) and removable storage (SD cards), right? I didn't check every android version released so far, what I have in my tablet, formatted a new SD card as FAT. and again - SD specification is clear about this, A1 rating has nothing to do with that requirement, that remains valid. they, SD Association, make a utility called SD Formatter, for people to format their cards properly. guess what, there is no choices for the FS, only FAT (appropriate version of it). I don't quite understand what's unclear in my statement about the requirement, the standardization body of the standard in question has made? you don't believe me? then ask SDA, sign NDA, get the full version of the spec and convince yourself on your own.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
(02-10-2020, 02:02 PM)z4v4l Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 12:07 PM)wibble Wrote:

do you distinguish between internal storage of a phone (eMMC, UFS) and removable storage (SD cards), right? I didn't check every android version released so far, what I have in my tablet, formatted a new SD card as FAT. and again - SD specification is clear about this, A1 rating has nothing to do with that requirement, that remains valid. they, SD Association, make a utility called SD Formatter, for people to format their cards properly. guess what, there is no choices for the FS, only FAT (appropriate version of it). I don't quite understand what's unclear in my statement about the requirement, the standardization body of the standard in question has made? you don't believe me? then ask SDA, sign NDA, get the full version of the spec and convince yourself on your own.

Adoptable Storage is for removable cards, not internal storage, so definitely SD. I used it on a Moto G, and Motorola document its use. From a quick search it looks like Samsung shipped it too, among others. My point is that a significant number of Android phones will happily format SD cards with filesystems other than (ex)FAT.

I've just tried Windows 7 and that'll reformat to NTFS as well as exFAT, so it's not just Android. I don't have any Apple devices to see what they do.

I'm not disputing what the SD spec says. I'm saying you're wrong about at least Windows and Android not using other formats on SD cards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Ubuntu modify a Pinephone SD boot card? Peter Gamma 0 845 10-05-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  External SD card not listed by Pcmanfm? Peter Gamma 1 1,510 08-22-2023, 12:22 PM
  Device memory full on multi-boot SD card Peter Gamma 4 2,709 08-27-2022, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  wiping u-boot off sd card shulamy 6 2,914 08-17-2022, 03:38 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Quick and easy bootloader option for JumpDrive on external SD card? Peter Gamma 5 2,682 05-02-2022, 06:57 AM
  Writing to SD card possible with all applications? Peter Gamma 5 3,255 03-28-2022, 07:12 AM
  Launching OS in the SD card from p-boot in MMC chuso 0 1,214 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Last Post: chuso
  deep sleep issues on multiple distros discogribbs 0 1,192 08-19-2021, 08:52 PM
Last Post: discogribbs
  Unable to mount the INTERNAL SD Card dgdimick 3 4,104 03-30-2021, 07:45 PM
Last Post: dgdimick
  Silly Kali Linux script for Mobian SD card sergio.pantalone 0 3,351 03-08-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: sergio.pantalone