PinePhone EG25 automatic test failed
Hi,
Yesterday I received my PinePhone. Really love the build quality! As you know, it comes with just the factory test image flashed. Going through all the tests, I found out that the EG25 modem automatic test failed. I've been trying a couple more times, but it keeps failing. Is there anything I need to do to make the test pass, or might the modem be broken? Or am I just being paranoid?

Guess I was paranoid after all. Just needed to insert the SIM
Have you inserted a working SIM card?
I'm in the same situation here, although all automatic tests passed when I got the phone a couple of days ago. Now the factory test gives a fail for EG25.

I have got it working with Ubuntu Touch for a while (booting from MicroSD), but the phone suddenly shut off. Now I get to the Ubuntu Touch loading screen (which looks a bit wierd graphically) for a couple of seconds until it  suddenly dies.

I'll try to recapitulate all the things I've done since I got the PinePhone:

1) I removed the battery sticker after removing the battery which was sitting very tight. Had to use a plastic tool but it seemed to work just fine.

2) Booted the preloaded image successfully. All factory tests passed except for the SIM card status (which I was expecting after reading the forums since it's not yet unlocked with the four digit code).

3) I flashed the latest Ubuntu Touch image from the UbPorts download page to a 256 GB MicroSD card.

4) Successfully booted Ubuntu Touch from the MicroSD card. The loading screen looked a bit wierd. Once inside the OS, the SIM card was not recognized (again, as expected), otherwise all seemed fine. After playing around with the settings for a while the phone suddenly died. It happened when I adjusted the screen brightness. Battery showed 65 % left.

5) Tried a couple of times more with the same setup, now crashing at the Ubuntu Touch loading screen.

6) After removing the MicroSD card and running the automatic factory tests again I get a fail on the EG25.

Does anyone have an idea on what I should try next? I really hope I haven't accidentally broken the phone somehow. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
What does the factorytest image show on the modem page instead of the automatic test page?
Very wierd. I tested again right now, with usb-c power adapter plugged in, and the EG25 says OK while RTL8723CS says failed.

The modem test gives

Modem status:

etc.

Sim status:

etc.

Call status:

Technology: ...
Number: ...

Any ideas?
Just received my phone 4 hours ago.

I run automated tests and these are failing:
EG25
RTL8723CS

Others are ok.

I tried to search but could not figure out if this is normal behaviour?

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone
Wiki says:
"It's also important to note that the EG25 modem and RTL8723CS wifi/bluetooth do not work without the battery plugged in, even if you are supplying enough power to the Pinephone with USB-C"

So I guess when I have battery on those should work?

And also I installed latest UBports which says wifi should be working.

https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone

But with quickly testing wifi is not working for me. Is it working from GUI for others?

I need to continue troubleshooting tomorrow...
A quick update:

I can't really explain why but after a couple of reboots (without SD card) I suddenly got OK on all automatic factory tests. I instantly flashed the most recent Ubuntu Touch build and plugged in the SD card. Pretty much exactly the same thing as described above happened again; weird looking loading screen with the Ubuntu logo messed up (just me?), and after fooling around with the settings it crashed when I was adjusting the brightness. After that it crashes directly on the loading screen.

However, I also tried with the latest PostmarketOS phosh build. From what I can tell, it seems to work just fine.

Could this somehow be a OS specific (Ubuntu Touch) problem related to the unlocked SIM card? Should I bug report directly to the Ubuntu Touch developers?

My time is limited right now but I will do some more testing in the coming days and keep you posted.
(02-06-2020, 03:21 PM)ThownAway Wrote: Exactly what happened to me in every single detail (except that eg25 problem is solved if you insert a sim card which doesn't require a pin code).  It looks like brightness is locked at 0% and you can't see anything anymore... imho the system is working, i pressed several seconds the power button and tapped randomly on the screen and it restarted: with black screen again, as a result

A quick update:

I can't really explain why but after a couple of reboots (without SD card) I suddenly got OK on all automatic factory tests. I instantly flashed the most recent Ubuntu Touch build and plugged in the SD card. Pretty much exactly the same thing as described above happened again; weird looking loading screen with the Ubuntu logo messed up (just me?), and after fooling around with the settings it crashed when I was adjusting the brightness. After that it crashes directly on the loading screen.

However, I also tried with the latest PostmarketOS phosh build. From what I can tell, it seems to work just fine.

Could this somehow be a OS specific (Ubuntu Touch) problem related to the unlocked SIM card? Should I bug report directly to the Ubuntu Touch developers?

My time is limited right now but I will do some more testing in the coming days and keep you posted.
(02-06-2020, 03:15 PM)surfingtux Wrote: I run automated tests and these are failing:
EG25
RTL8723CS

Inserting SIM and I got EG25 test to pass.

Got help from customer support and this might help others as well.
If RTL8723CS is failing:
"make sure there is Wifi router around 5 meter rea when perform this test, the Wifi test function sniff for SSID to determine test result during autotest. The Wifi can fail if the battery power is too low. "

But in my case RTL8723CS still fails.
I tried with battery full and charger on but still automatic tests fail.

Need to continue testing.
(02-10-2020, 09:34 AM)pepo https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-por...es/17looks like the only way to solve is re-flashing your sd card Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 03:21 PM)ThownAway Wrote: Exactly what happened to me in every single detail (except that eg25 problem is solved if you insert a sim card which doesn't require a pin code).  It looks like brightness is locked at 0% and you can't see anything anymore... imho the system is working, i pressed several seconds the power button and tapped randomly on the screen and it restarted: with black screen again, as a result

A quick update:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,062 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,476 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma