FOSDEM 2020 PineTime BoF
Hi all,

For those of us PineTime developers/users attending FOSDEM, maybe we could have a small meet-up during a BoF slot. With all the development ideas floating around here, it would be nice to meet up in person and sync ideas and opinions.

Please let me know if you will be at FOSDEM and if you would like to meet up and share ideas. Also let me know if you have a preference for either Sunday or Saturday.

I don't mind organizing this, but the community mods are of course welcome to take over  Tongue
I'm down to meet up. I'll be visiting on Sunday only.
Can we join too? Wink -- I assume you'll pop by our stand on Sunday regardless?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-31-2020, 09:04 AM)bergzand Wrote: Hi all,

For those of us PineTime developers/users attending FOSDEM, maybe we could have a small meet-up during a BoF slot. With all the development ideas floating around here, it would be nice to meet up in person and sync ideas and opinions.

Please let me know if you will be at FOSDEM and if you would like to meet up and share ideas. Also let me know if you have a preference for either Sunday or Saturday.

I don't mind organizing this, but the community mods are of course welcome to take over  Tongue

I plan to come Sunday afternoon, it would be nice to meet in person!

It'll be my first time at Fosdem... what is 'BoF' ?
Working on InfiniTime, the FOSS firmware for the PineTime: https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime

Mastodon : https://mastodon.codingfield.com/@JF
Twitter : https://twitter.com/codingfield
Matrix : @JF002:matrix.org
I'm afraid I'm not at FOSDEM this year so won't be able to join you.

There are already hints in a couple of forum topics but my initial goal for my own PineTime hacking is to glue the back on without any SWD mods. To that end my focus has been bootloader robustness (e.g. how to be able to reprogram a crashed device without requiring a reset button, power SWD or UART). Code is available (https://github.com/daniel-thompson/wasp-bootloader ) and I've shared a pre-release with @Luke is anyone wants to see it on a real device. Basically I've taken the Adafruit nrf52 bootloader and made some modest changes so we can exploit the watchdog for robustness. The bootloader should work for any payload but, with limited flash space, is most practical for code that uses the Nordic Softdevice.

Anyhow... there are challenges w.r.t. bootloaders since, AFAIK, each time we want a payload to adopt a different BT stack (Softdevice, NimBLE, Zephyr), we would need to reprovision the device with a new bootloader if we are to keep flash size dow (and ensure bootloaders can OTA replace themselves with "alien" bootloaders to allow users to swap BT stacks).

I would be interested to see what feedback about bootloaders comes back from a BoF!
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
Quote:It'll be my first time at Fosdem... what is 'BoF' ?

Birds of a Feather, Small meet-ups/discussions.

Quote:Can we join too? [Image: wink.png] -- I assume you'll pop by our stand on Sunday regardless?

Of course!

I'll try to grab a slot somewhere Sunday afternoon ASAP, as that seems to suit the most people.
I got us a time slot tomorrow (sunday) at 13:30 - 14:30, room H.3244. Feel free to join in!
It was very fun! I expected around five people max to show up but I'm guessing there were about twenty. I wish there was more time for people to introduce themselves and chat.

Also, I saw that there was some kind of Pinephone BoF before this one, but I didn't see it in the FOSDEM schedule. Was this planned on the forum or something?
(02-02-2020, 10:20 AM)arteeh Wrote: It was very fun! I expected around five people max to show up but I'm guessing there were about twenty. I wish there was more time for people to introduce themselves and chat.

Also, I saw that there was some kind of Pinephone BoF before this one, but I didn't see it in the FOSDEM schedule. Was this planned on the forum or something?

I have no clue who planned the PinePhone BoF - what I do know is that I was really caught off guard when they asked me to explain stuff LOL
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 625 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 183 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 645 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime is dead!! Markdanni123 12 13,505 09-18-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: ccchan234
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,016 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo. lightweight 8 6,513 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: alexmitroff
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,089 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  Struggling to detect Pinetime over bluetooth John45595 0 1,121 11-20-2022, 11:06 PM
Last Post: John45595
  PineTime Dev Kit for sale igor.bljahhin 2 3,132 10-19-2022, 05:34 AM
Last Post: peatord