Packaging considerations
Hi, just as a heads-up, you might want to reconsider the packaging a bit for future versions.

I've received my brave-heart edition and the plastic shroud where the phone is mounted inside the box has some breakage after shipping.

No qualms from me, I don't think anything else is damaged and that's what beta-runs are for, but you might want to iterate on the material for future versions.

[Image: TIFRQTI.jpg]
some other smaller nit-picks after completing the initial setup.

* the screen protector is slightly off center(can be seen on the original picture as well)
* the screen protector had some air bubbles on the bottom part
* the screen protector applying sticker was difficult to get off, instead of coming off it actually started to pull the protector itself. I had to scratch it from the "not open" side to remove and it left lots of glue marks.

I'd say don't try to pre-apply the protector and just have it in the box for people to apply themselves. I understand it's difficult to get the process right in a production line setting. Or if placed on in the factory, remove the white-blue applying sticker before the glue gets stale.

Again, this is just feedback for later runs, and no qualms from me.
(01-31-2020, 08:20 AM)simp Wrote: some other smaller nit-picks after completing the initial setup.

* the screen protector is slightly off center(can be seen on the original picture as well)
* the screen protector applying sticker was difficult to get off, instead of coming off it actually started to pull the protector itself. I had to scratch it from the "not open" side to remove and it left lots of glue marks.

I'd say don't try to pre-apply the protector and just have it in the box for people to apply themselves. I understand it's difficult to get the process right in a production line setting. Or if placed on in the factory, remove the white-blue applying sticker before the glue gets stale.

Noted, just pass your feedback to shipping team. Frankly speaking, I prefer hard foam type.
I also received my braveheart device with a broken plastic (white) holder, thankfully the device was unharmed. Pine need to indicate clearly that the user needs to remove the back case and remove plastic from battery to get it working. so hopefully this is resolved for Prime time devices.

Also the Red USB-C cable is very odd choice as it has no relationship to the brand or device. so why red a colour instead of a blue that whould relate better to pine customers ?
(02-03-2020, 09:48 PM)hockleyj Wrote: Also the Red USB-C cable is very odd choice as it has no relationship to the brand or device. so why red a colour instead of a blue that whould relate better to pine customers ?

For the red cable, I would like to answer you a personal opinion totally unrelated to the idea that the producers might have and a hypothetical "correct idea".
I think that the market has accustomed us to have a "sense" on what should be "apparently" right or wrong (so just the way they look).
Nowadays it's full of people who review the package (not from the point of view of how protective it is, but from the aesthetic point of view).
Frankly for me a cable is a cable, whether it's red, purple, blue, black... it makes no difference.
I can say that I'm glad it's red so I don't confuse it with the other cables (which are all black) but if it was phosphorescent green I was more happier because I could see it at night in the dark.
I don't know why but I like to see that there are companies like Pine64 that don't care about adopting solutions considered "weird" by common sense but that maybe have some other more logical reason to be (red to distinguish a special cable).
But it is all imho, I repeat.
(02-03-2020, 10:43 PM)vinnie Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 09:48 PM)hockleyj Wrote: Also the Red USB-C cable is very odd choice as it has no relationship to the brand or device.  so why red a colour  instead of  a blue that whould relate better to pine customers ?

For the red cable, I would like to answer you a personal opinion totally unrelated to the idea that the producers might have and a hypothetical "correct idea".
I think that the market has accustomed us to have a "sense" on what should be "apparently" right or wrong (so just the way they look).
Nowadays it's full of people who review the package (not from the point of view of how protective it is, but from the aesthetic point of view).
Frankly for me a cable is a cable, whether it's red, purple, blue, black... it makes no difference.
I can say that I'm glad it's red so I don't confuse it with the other cables (which are all black) but if it was phosphorescent green I was more happier because I could see it at night in the dark.
I don't know why but I like to see that there are companies like Pine64 that don't care about adopting solutions considered "weird" by common sense but that maybe have some other more logical reason to be (red to distinguish a special cable).
But it is all imho, I repeat.

I get the impression that its was a bulk buy good deal.   like excess stock from say (1+1) etc  who have used red cables in the past for there phones.  also red to some cultures is considered for alerting from an emergency context to also saying that it is a live hot wire etc....  also  if the cable receives enough sunlight its likley to fade in color making for an odd looking colour.   one of the reasons for black cables is that they are UV stable...   ask any apple fan who has white cables at some point that white cable gets very dirty or discolored etc.   personally  i dont use the cable that comes with the device so its not a big deal,  just a  day one unboxing opinion some will agree others willl not...

(02-01-2020, 12:33 AM)tllim Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 08:20 AM)simp Wrote: some other smaller nit-picks after completing the initial setup.

Noted, just pass your feedback to shipping team. Frankly speaking, I prefer hard foam type.

Pressed Cardboard might be the best bet for the  internal cradle the phone is shipped in.   if i recall i think  google phones use carboard for the internal packing cradles etc..
(02-04-2020, 06:24 PM)hockleyj Wrote: Pressed Cardboard might be the best bet for the  internal cradle the phone is shipped in.   if i recall i think  google phones use carboard for the internal packing cradles etc..

+1 for the cardboard, much easier to recycle than foam, at least in this part of the world. Google have used it in the past - a white presentation-quality one for the Pixel. Personally I'd be happy with the cheaper brown variety - I'd rather the money was spent on the bits I'll use every day, not on making the throw-away stuff pretty.