Coronavirus outbrake impact on PINE64
I placed an order for a PineTime dev kit on January 19th hoping they could squeeze it in before CNY but it didn’t make it. I got a text from DHL today and it says it was picked up around noon my time (CST) I think. Due on Tuesday to Wisconsin.   A RockPro64 ordered on January 29th shipped today also.
So someone is back at work in Hong Kong since it was picked up there.
Hopefully this means they are catching up on orders for some of you as well.
(02-12-2020, 08:24 AM)Boern Wrote: So, what does that mean for the PinePhone Germany batch? Can it still be shipped as soon as the CE certificates arrive or do we have to wait for that and for Corona to be contained?

The PinePhone already at Hong Kong warehouse. Once confirmed the CE cert date, we will dispatch out. However, if Coronavirus cause the whole Hong Kong lock down, then this is different story. Since China team cannot travel to Hong Kong, we need to have staff fly into Hong King and help up on the dispatch.
(02-13-2020, 12:16 PM)sleblanc Wrote: Does anyone know whether the Pinebook Support team has returned to work? I have a ticket that has been open for nearly a month.

Starts back to work on February 17 but not in full operation.
(02-14-2020, 06:11 PM)gillham Wrote: I placed an order for a PineTime dev kit on January 19th hoping they could squeeze it in before CNY but it didn’t make it. I got a text from DHL today and it says it was picked up around noon my time (CST) I think. Due on Tuesday to Wisconsin.   A RockPro64 ordered on January 29th shipped today also.

Back to work at China. Still not able access to Hong Kong warehouse where PinePhone and Pinebook Pro locate.
(02-13-2020, 12:16 PM)sleblanc Wrote: Does anyone know whether the Pinebook Support team has returned to work? I have a ticket that has been open for nearly a month.

(02-17-2020, 01:09 AM)tllim Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 06:11 PM)gillham Wrote: I placed an order for a PineTime dev kit on January 19th hoping they could squeeze it in before CNY but it didn’t make it. I got a text from DHL today and it says it was picked up around noon my time (CST) I think. Due on Tuesday to Wisconsin.   A RockPro64 ordered on January 29th shipped today also.

Back to work at China. Still not able access to Hong Kong warehouse where PinePhone and Pinebook Pro locate.

Then how am I seeing youtube unboxing videos of the pinebook pro? These are recent videos released a few weeks ago. LearnLinuxTV claims he received his rather fast as well. Do you guys prioritize people who make videos for the pro?
(02-17-2020, 12:50 PM)mcbeeff Wrote:

(02-17-2020, 01:09 AM)tllim Wrote:

Then how am I seeing youtube unboxing videos of the pinebook pro? These are recent videos released a few weeks ago. LearnLinuxTV claims he received his rather fast as well. Do you guys prioritize people who make videos for the pro?

We don't prioritize anyone or any user (with the exception of developers, who usually have separate batches; this however is usually for prototypes). My guess is that people must have hung onto their PBPs until they decided unboxing / reviewing them.

If, for some reason that is beyond me, you doubt our depiction of the situation ... then just read about it on an external source and judge for yourself.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

recent videos released a few weeks ago of the pbp would be the last iso and ansi batches...? was about a week of "hey I got mine" before I received a notice. seems very reasonable to me, other than requested individual email confirmation I mentioned in the other thread.
(02-17-2020, 12:50 PM)mcbeeff Wrote: Then how am I seeing youtube unboxing videos of the pinebook pro? These are recent videos released a few weeks ago. LearnLinuxTV claims he received his rather fast as well. Do you guys prioritize people who make videos for the pro?

As an infrequent visitor to pine64, what Luke said was exactly when I thought when I read that comment. Just because the video was released recently (a few weeks ago), doesn't mean they were shot then. They could be older videos, or could be from a backlog of stuff. I know more than a few review / postbag Youtubers who have stuff they'd had for six months or more, and have only just 'reviewed' them recently.

There are the exclusive developer-only batches - warts and all - (you do want the hardware to have *some* functionality before you get it, don't you? :-P), but after that it's pretty much first in best dressed... What has happened in the past is that we might suggest that a couple units be sent to specific reviewers who've being begging for unit to review... so if that happens to be before a production run starts but before it's open for pre-orders, they may go to the head of the queue, but that's the extent of that, and would only be a handful of units.

Given the fact a lot of the smaller factories in China were still shut three days ago, and it looks like February 24 might be the new date at which the wheels start turning again (when the latest 14-day quarantine on component suppliers ends)... bumpy times are ahead for that cheap tech fix China provides us all. I've noticed a delay in stuff being shipped from some suppliers, and quite a few others out of stuck, or down to 10s of items, instead of 1000s.

In other words, keep calm, be patient, and hopefully things will be on track again soon!
(02-17-2020, 01:07 AM)tllim Wrote:

Starts back to work on February 17 but not in full operation.

Thanks for the information. If there is no update on the open ticket by the end of February, I will try to contact them. Does that sound reasonable?
Here's a computer science application for you, write a simulator that stops a virus using only quarantine and see how long it takes.  Remember the game of life simulator?  Every active case has to be quarantined but it may take 2 weeks after exposure before symptoms show.  The number of people each potential case could contact in 2 weeks is large making face masks a necessity.  And staying at home.

I waited about 2 months for mine, it was worth it.  Anybody notice the virus effect on Bitcoin prices?

It's almost enough to make a case for having a few resellers.  If you want an Odroid from Korea, you can buy one instead from Ameridroid in the US which buys them in batches and maintains a stock.  Faster and cheaper since it's cheaper to ship them overseas in case lots.  I think the price per machine was up about $5 each but the shipping was about $20 cheaper so it made up for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,651 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
Information FOSDEM 2018 Blog! New PINE64 Boards, Upcoming Hardware and Much More! Luke 2 49,894 02-05-2018, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 4 Feb @ 8PM tllim 22 33,906 02-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 Kickstarter pineadmin 0 8,250 12-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Last Post: pineadmin