Quick Guide to installing Ubuntu Unity on your Pinebook Pro
(01-31-2020, 08:29 AM)wove Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 02:46 PM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Had my PBP now for a couple of months and while the default build it shipped with was fine I have been messing around with the excellent Mate build kindly done by Wizzard  here

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119

............................but stopped short of installing KDE as I had used Kubuntu for a few years before and the Mate build was good. I had even installed Mutiny Theme

However I have been using Unity Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Desktop for long enough on a main pc that I wanted to install Ubuntu (classic as I call it) 
 I followed your excellent direction to install Unity desktop. My efforts were successful and my Pinebook Pro is now running Unity. Thank you for all your efforts.
On my install the tap to click function does not work. Perhaps that is normal, but I did not see mention of it. I can scroll with two fingers, and I can click the trackpad for both right and left clicks. That is not my standard way of working with a trackpad and I do find it confusing. I am not sure how to go about getting tap to click working and would appreciate any pointers to make it happen.
Again thanks for the excellent tutorial.
bill

Thanks for the feedback. 
I am glad someone found it useful. 

As for the tap to click ...yes...that is not working as I would like it. 
I wonder if like for the right click fix there is a solution perhaps generic that we can use. 

I will seek an answer online and share it when or if I find it.
Ok strange situation here that I don't know how to fix. I've done everything I'm supposed to do (I believe). I now have a Unity login screen and a Mate desktop. Is there some step I've forgotten or overlooked. BTW, I have right click and tap to select the way it is but want Unity more.

.png   Screenshot at 2020-01-31 18-56-58.png (Size: 112.29 KB / Downloads: 430)
On the log in screen, there should be a button to the right of your user name (it looks like a circle). If you click on it you will be presented with the available desktop environments to use. Selecting Unity (default) will take you into the Unity desktop.

bill
Yup, I'm and idiot. Didn't even think about that. Unity up and running.

I've gotten tap to click working.

Run:

Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Now install Unity Tweak Tool from the Software app and restart.

Go to system settings and you'll have tap to select now

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot from 2020-01-31 20-28-02.png (Size: 36.7 KB / Downloads: 377)
(01-31-2020, 01:49 PM)MIchael Wrote: Yup, I'm and idiot. Didn't even think about that. Unity up and running.

I've gotten tap to click working.

Run:

Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Now install Unity Tweak Tool from the Software app and restart.

Go to system settings and you'll have tap to select now

Trust me you are no idiot

If you could see the mistakes I made getting to here-  well you would laugh!

Thanks for the tip re Tap to click 

Did not know that so very helpful

Let me know if you get stuck with anything else
(02-03-2020, 05:59 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: If you could see the mistakes I made getting to here-  well you would laugh!

I'd probably relate cause I'm doing a lot of it too. I broke unity last night so I'm back to fresh Mate install. I get to do it all over again.
(02-03-2020, 06:32 AM)MIchael Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 05:59 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: If you could see the mistakes I made getting to here-  well you would laugh!

I'd probably relate cause I'm doing a lot of it too. I broke unity last night so I'm back to fresh Mate install. I get to do it all over again.

Ahaha

I am on install number x+2

I keep breaking it. 

However this last install now with your fix has been the longest!

Nearly a week and its working.

What is not working your end or breaking it do you think?

Happy to have a chat offline about getting this tickety boo (working) as two heads are better than one.

Pm me for details if that works or email me andybleaden@gmail.com if not
I've been trying to get stuff like Netflix and KDE Connect to work. I might have tried to upgrade to 19.10 a couple of times too. This morning I got the upgrade to complete but it just shows a wallpaper and no desktop functionality. It'll time out and require sign in, then straight back to wallpaper.

When I get back home I get to take the chip out and reinstall OS I believe for the 4th time. It's not frustrating, it's fun.
(02-03-2020, 09:47 AM)MIchael Wrote: I've been trying to get stuff like Netflix and KDE Connect to work. I might have tried to upgrade to 19.10 a couple of times too. This morning I got the upgrade to complete but it just shows a wallpaper and no desktop functionality. It'll time out and require sign in, then straight back to wallpaper.

When I get back home I get to take the chip out and reinstall OS I believe for the 4th time. It's not frustrating, it's fun.

Ah you do it that way do you. I just reflashed the mate build from a micro sd card with the default build of pinebook Pro on it. Then did the trackpad fix, uboot update and then unity etc etc 

Bit of a faff but yes...fun in a way

Never thought to remove the chip...not got a emmc tool so until i get one of those I will continue this way. Are they good/worth getting?
Remove the screws, pop the chip off, put on the adapter, put in my Ubuntu desktop (using microSD to USB adapter), fire up Etcher, image the file, and within just a few moments in putting the chip back in.

Emmc adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08229QKV3/ref...oEb0VHM791

CARD reader

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYXR7DL/ref...oEbEQXN4XS

It makes the whole process so simple

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Recovery with Void Linux (xbps) bds 0 365 01-14-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bds
  Write SD cards with Etcher for Pinebook Pro futurejones 17 29,392 03-19-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Alex007
  [GUIDE] ArchLinuxARM on Pinebook Pro hku2 10 19,174 12-25-2020, 05:44 AM
Last Post: boteium
  How to install Ubuntu to eMMC and to install KDE (Neon) Wizzard 66 97,654 12-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Program SPI NOR Flash on Pinebook Pro with u-boot on micro SD Card hmuller 0 3,393 09-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: hmuller
  Installing Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with BSP uBoot with deep sleep and sound Syonyk 43 52,758 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: SamWilts
  Installing WPS Office on Manjaro brent.thierens 5 9,612 07-13-2020, 03:13 AM
Last Post: brent.thierens
  Instructions for Installing VS Code on Manjaro clover 6 14,194 06-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Installing Docker on Pinebook Pro - update 1/18/20 SuperXkoodA 4 7,446 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Last Post: chaoskampf
  Swaywm on Pinebook Pro anjanmomi 10 13,645 02-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Last Post: xmixahlx