Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware
(06-05-2021, 12:22 AM)ab1jx Wrote: Hiss, don't rememer that.  From the speakers?  Does a mixer like alsamixer affect it?  Does it stop if you play a sound file?

I don't think that the hissing sound came out of the built-in speakers.  Though, I haven't attempted any debugging, because I wanted to complete the firmware upgrade as quickly as possible.  Another thing I've noticed is that the hissing sound started almost immediately after powering up the laptop, during the power cycle that followed the first step of the firmware upgrade.  If it started hissing so early, and the restoration of the sound card settings during the startup made no difference to it, I doubt that the source of the hissing sound was connected to the audio codec in any way.

(06-05-2021, 12:22 AM)ab1jx Wrote: You aren't mixing iso and ansi versions are you?

Nope.  It is an ISO variant, and it belongs to the first batch.
(06-04-2021, 10:43 PM)dsimic Wrote: I've also completed the third, flash-kb step, which unfortunately caused the Fn + NumLock key combination to stop working.  The green LED still turned on and off as a result of depressing the Fn + NumLock key combination, but the respective "numpad" keys still produced letters instead of numbers with the green LED illuminated.

On my keyboard (which I patched to swap Ctrl and Fn keys - I'm used to ThinkPad layout, so prefer Fn on the outside) when I enable NumLk I have to hold Fn to type the numbers. Did you try that?
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(06-05-2021, 09:30 AM)moonwalkers Wrote: On my keyboard (which I patched to swap Ctrl and Fn keys - I'm used to ThinkPad layout, so prefer Fn on the outside) when I enable NumLk I have to hold Fn to type the numbers. Did you try that?

Thanks for the tip, but I didn't try that.  I was in a bit of hurry, and seeing the NumLock not working as expected was a sign that something else might be wrong with the patched keyboard firmware, so I rushed to write back the unpatched version.

However, I really don't understand what was the reason behind changing the behavior of the NumLock in the patched version?  There should be a readily available patched version of the keyboard firmware that behaves in the usual, "stock" way, containing just the bugfixes.  In other words, I'm perfectly fine with anybody having their personal preferences when it comes to the keyboards layouts, but I don't like being forced to use any of those alternative layouts.

I know, there are some instructions on how to remap the keys or alter the behavior of the patched keyboard firmware, but doing that takes time, while the "stock-like" variant of the patched keyboard firmware isn't readily available.
(02-04-2020, 06:55 PM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 04:39 PM)radio_listener Wrote: I usually use Thinkpads which have the Fn key to the very left. Is it possible to switch the Fn and the left Ctrl key using this firmware?

Yeap! You can just swap the first two items on this line: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...ansi.c#L30

As reference for others:

- in firmware/src/README is info about install "sdcc srecord" - in Debian,
but in Manjaro srecord (although in AUR) not avaiable for aarch64

so i confirm:
- compiling (not updater! only hex fila via "make default_ansi") on my x86 Linux notebook
- transfer firmware/default_ansi.hex to PBP
- flashing (via ./updater compiled on PBP) this hex on PBP working
- Fn and LCTRL is swapped immediately, not need reboot

BTW: physically swaping Fn and LCTRL keycaps is possible, but carefully take off from right side
(left side is hooked, right side is clicked)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 649 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,707 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,759 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife