Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware
@jackhumbert I think @ssfrfr@ was looking to add the Dvorak on ANSI PBP mapping to your respository, for others to use. Then a user simply selects the key mapping they want. (I want the control key in the correct place, Unix style :-).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(02-04-2020, 07:07 AM)Arwen Wrote: @jackhumbert I think @ssfrfr@ was looking to add the Dvorak on ANSI PBP mapping to your respository, for others to use. Then a user simply selects the key mapping they want. (I want the control key in the correct place, Unix style :-).

Yeah! I went ahead and added that keymap along with the hex Smile if anyone else wants to add keymaps to the repo, you can fork the repo via Github, then clone that instead of mine:

Code:
git clone git@github.com:<your_username>/pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater.git

Which will allow you to commit and push your changes to your fork, then create a pull request to my repo.
I usually use Thinkpads which have the Fn key to the very left. Is it possible to switch the Fn and the left Ctrl key using this firmware?
(02-04-2020, 04:39 PM)radio_listener Wrote: I usually use Thinkpads which have the Fn key to the very left. Is it possible to switch the Fn and the left Ctrl key using this firmware?

Yeap! You can just swap the first two items on this line: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...ansi.c#L30
(02-04-2020, 07:53 AM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 07:07 AM)Arwen Wrote: @jackhumbert I think @ssfrfr@ was looking to add the Dvorak on ANSI PBP mapping to your respository, for others to use. Then a user simply selects the key mapping they want. (I want the control key in the correct place, Unix style :-).

Yeah! I went ahead and added that keymap along with the hex Smile

Thank you!

And thanks for the explanation of the proper way to do it.

My enter key double-taps rather frequently -- is it possible to adjust the debounce filtering?  The current firmware does it less often.

Has anything been done with the touchpad?

It went from "tap to click works, but it loves to put my terminals in read-only mode while I'm typing" to "click-to-click, but much better palm rejection" and I don't know if it's a firmware or OS change yet.
(02-05-2020, 01:18 AM)ssfrfr@ Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 07:53 AM)jackhumbert Wrote:

Yeah! I went ahead and added that keymap along with the hex Smile

Thank you!

And thanks for the explanation of the proper way to do it.

My enter key double-taps rather frequently -- is it possible to adjust the debounce filtering?  The current firmware does it less often.

Has anything been done with the touchpad?

It went from "tap to click works, but it loves to put my terminals in read-only mode while I'm typing" to "click-to-click, but much better palm rejection" and I don't know if it's a firmware or OS change yet.

I haven't looked into the debouncing stuff much yet, but it might be possible to adjust something there - I didn't mess with that in the updated firmware Smile

I don't think much customisation of the trackpad is possible from the firmware at this point, but I and others have had luck with modifying some of the settings in the OS for that: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...pad_tuning
I tamed my touchpad by making it generic.  All I ever wanted was a touchpad like from 10 years ago: X & Y movement, 2 buttons, scroll wheel emulation.  The PBP touchpad by default is trying to be a "clickpad" (google it), it has "gestures" which would be more appropriate on a touchscreen.  I use the libinput driver and only the libinput driver.  I'm not sure how libinput got there, I don't remember if I installed it or not.  Remove or disable by renaming to not have a .conf extension (like .off ?) your synaptics and mtrack files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.  synclient won't work anymore.  Use a libinput xorg.conf snippet like this:
Code:
# Basic libinput file, disable 50-mtrack.conf and 70-synaptics.conf
# You can do this by renaming them to not have .conf extensions

# Match on all types of devices but tablet devices and joysticks
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "libinput pointer catchall"
       MatchIsPointer "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
       Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
       MatchIsKeyboard "on"
       Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
       MatchIsTouchpad "on"
       Driver "libinput"
# This is the only "fancy" feature I have enabled: the right side of the
# touchpad emulates a scroll wheel on a mouse, press hard, move up and down.
Option "ScrollMethod" "edge"
EndSection

# Don't want this
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "libinput touchscreen catchall"
       MatchIsTouchscreen "off"
       Driver "libinput"
EndSection

# Don't want this
Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "libinput tablet catchall"
       MatchIsTablet "off"
       Driver "libinput"
EndSection

After a reboot you won't have the Synaptics driver loaded anymore, you don't need it for basic stuff.  The file /var/log/Xorg.0.log should be your feedback.

Tap to click defaults to off, see the libinput man page to turn it on.  It's just another option line, probably the same place where ScrollMethod is.  You'll need to add it if you want it.  There's also tap-and-drag but you need tapping enabled to use it.

For libinput what I see installed is libinput-bin, libinput10, xserver-xorg-input-libinput.  After 24 hours it's still working fine, just a nice normal touchpad.
I thought I'd post a link to my comment on an open issue in Jack Humbert's Keyboard Firmware github repo. The tl;dr is that I've ruled out any userspace touchpad handling library as being the cause of the poor trackpad performance, and most likely it really is an issue with the firmware rather than the kernel's hid_multitouch driver. The one thing users can implement themselves right now which seems to help a bit, especially with palm detection on libinput is adding the following entry to /etc/udev/hwdb.d/99-local.hwdb

Code:
evdev:input:b0003v258Ap001E*
  EVDEV_ABS_00=::15
  EVDEV_ABS_01=::15
  EVDEV_ABS_35=::15
  EVDEV_ABS_36=::15
Ignore all this I wrote below, I think my keyboard is flaky. I'll post a separate post about the problems I'm seeing

dvorak users;

If you change your keyboard to dvorak in /etc/default/keyboard, you will most likely want to change it back to intl and reboot before flashing with this firmware.

I noticed all sorts of strange behaviour, caps lock on after boot but the LED isn't on, and behaving if the shift key is randomly being pressed.

The biggest problem was no matter if the letters were uc or lc, the number keys were almost always shifted. I could occasionally get numbers if I tapped the shift key several times, but it would revert back quickly.

This behaviour was on both the internal and external keyboards.

I changed to intl, rebooted, reflashed, changed back to dvorak and it seems to behaving as expected now.

*edit: PS I'm on the ANSI keyboard model
(03-09-2020, 04:59 PM)rdmarsh Wrote: dvorak users;

If you change your keyboard to dvorak in /etc/default/keyboard, you will most likely want to change it back to intl and reboot before flashing with this firmware.

I noticed all sorts of strange behaviour, caps lock on after boot but the LED isn't on, and behaving if the shift key is randomly being pressed.

The biggest problem was no matter if the letters were uc or lc, the number keys were almost always shifted. I could occasionally get numbers if I tapped the shift key several times, but it would revert back quickly.

This behaviour was on both the internal and external keyboards.

I changed to intl, rebooted, reflashed, changed back to dvorak and it seems to behaving as expected now.

*edit: PS I'm on the ANSI keyboard model

Programmer Dvorak user with ANSI keyboard here, didn't see any of the issues you mention with external keyboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 649 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,694 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,759 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife