Devuan Appear to Work
(02-01-2020, 12:18 PM)Zachir999 Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 11:56 AM)rleasle Wrote: I got networking to work with just wpa_supplicant and no NetworkManager or wicd (probably not the right way, but it works for this experiment).  Moved on to purging systemd, updated sources.list, did an apt-get update/upgrade.

When I tried to install a DE, got a conflict installing the elogind package (dependency for lots of stuff) and the udev package.

Not sure if I should give up, start over, or try something radical with apt-get.

Code:
# apt-get install elogind
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
 policykit-1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 elogind
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/471 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1668 kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
 elogind
Authentication warning overridden.
(Reading database ... 83889 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking elogind (234.4-2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/lib/udev/rules.d/70-power-switch.rules', which is also in package udev 232-25+deb9u11
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/elogind_234.4-2_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
#
Which DE did you try to install? I installed MATE and had no issues, I can take a look when I get another SD card.
I tried both MATE and xfce. Same conflict.
Based on the message, it looks like something between udev and elogind. I'll look into it later tonight hopefully, but if it's not a critical install I would recommend trying eudev instead of udev. I wish I had more time to look into this sooner.
I managed to get everything working by creating a modified version of the package in question (elogind) with the conflicting file removed. Now I just need to test the full install
(02-03-2020, 08:40 AM)rleasle Wrote: I managed to get everything working by creating a modified version of the package in question (elogind) with the conflicting file removed. Now I just need to test the full install

I just checked, and yes, you need to install the package eudev, and I just tried installing elogind and it didn't have any problems. I will update my tutorial.
Curious. Could have sworn I saw the eudev package installed during my conversion process.
would debootstrap work and you could just modify danielt's installer instead?
Debootstrap would probably work... I was focused more on migrating the default Debian, but I see no reason for it not to. I'll have to give it a shot

(02-04-2020, 08:17 AM)rleasle Wrote: Curious. Could have sworn I saw the eudev package installed during my conversion process.

It was installed for me, which means you can uninstall udev and get rid of the conflict with elogind