Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro
Build script for Kali Linux for the Pinebook Pro is now available.
Many thanks to Steev for the hard work!

Kali Linux Build Script

Image download link
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

nice!
I've built an image using the Kali Arm build-scripts for Pinebook-pro, and burned the resulting .img.xz file to an SD card using Etcher, but it doesn't seem to actually boot on my PBP. Has anyone successfully got this build process to fruition, and if so, is there a how-to post build? Unclear what I'm missing on the resulting .img.xz to running on PBP steps…
My PBP should arrive this afternoon, I'll try to build something tonight ;-)
stuck on "git clone git://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/gcc-arm-eabi-linaro-4-6-2.git", it won't clone
I am waiting for someone to post an image that can be flashed to an SD. My attempts at making a build environment on the PBP has failed so far on the mrfixit image.
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
Might have some time later today to try again Smile

For now it wants (shouldn't need) cross architecture when I run pinebook-pro.sh. Have the same on PBP as in a ubuntu virtual machine on another laptop
(01-22-2020, 02:36 AM)Tazdevl Wrote: Might have some time later today to try again Smile

For now it wants (shouldn't need) cross architecture when I run pinebook-pro.sh. Have the same on PBP as in a ubuntu virtual machine on another laptop

Its looking like the script will need to be edited for compilation in arm64.  I broke my system trying katoon for installing Kali. 

The script does use the Manjaro kernel and uboot files, I'm going to try to build a patched kernel and use a nethunter chroot for tools.  

I have so far trimmed the code not related to the kernel build in the pinebook-pro build script.

Running my first build test now.
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
(01-22-2020, 09:14 AM)binholz Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 02:36 AM)Tazdevl Wrote: Might have some time later today to try again Smile

Its looking like the script will need to be edited for compilation in arm64.  I broke my system trying katoon for installing Kali. 

The script does use the Manjaro kernel and uboot files, I'm going to try to build a patched kernel and use a nethunter chroot for tools.  

I have so far trimmed the code not related to the kernel build in the pinebook-pro build script.

Running my first build test now.

it defiantly broke something in FXCE in my system, no to bothered as I intend to replace the os
Well, I can build no problem. My issue is that the resulting image doesn't seen to boot at all on my Pinebook Pro. I just get a black/blank screen when I attempt to boot an SD card from the resulting image file. For completeness though, below is my build process…

My build process for Kali-arm:

1. Install Oracle Virtualbox on my home iMac; https://www.virtualbox.org

2. Download Kali VM for Virtualbox (from: https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-...-download/)
   2a. Configure VM in Virtualbox; I gave it 4 cores and 16GB of RAM.

3. Boot KaliVM and log in as root/toor.
  3a. Do an initial update of the entire system; apt-get -y update && apt-get -y disc-upgrade && apt-get -y auto remove && apt-get -y auto clean
  3b. Restart VM; reboot

4. Clone and follow README.md from Kali-arm git repo; https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scripts/kali-arm
Code:
mkdir ~/arm-stuff
cd ~/arm-stuff
git clone https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scripts/kali-arm
cd ~/arm-stuff/kali-arm
./build-deps.sh
./pinebook-pro.sh 2020.1
   4a. build takes approx 1hr in the VM w/ the resources I gave it. Resulting image file is named kali-linux-2020.1-pinebook-pro.img.xz
   4b. Transfer image file, kali-linux-2020.1-pinebook-pro.img.xz, to my host system via scp; scp ./kali-linux-2020.1-pinebook-pro.img.xz shmoo@10.0.0.1:.

5. Burn kali-linux-2020.1-pinebook-pro.img.xz to a 128GB SD card using Balena Etcher on my host iMac; https://www.balena.io/etcher/

6. When complete, attempt to boot Pinebook-Pro from SD card… Results in a BLACK/BLANK SCREEN.

Is anyone else getting different behavior or a working, bootable image? I feel like I'm insane here. /crazy pills.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 438 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,108 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 203 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,603 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,321 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600