Brave Heart First Impressions ?
Tested ubuntu pinephone but it was not running smoothly. I thought my eyes were playing tricks about the flash light blinked once when booting OS, then I tried mameo leste the camera flash light was actually turned on. I didn't wait long after a few seconds the camera flash light was still on and screen was black I simply turned off the power.

I checked the pine64 wiki:
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Projec...7t_be_evil
The part about "4. On the camera flash GPIO conflict, ..."

This should be the cause? Guess I will wait for the mameo leste fix of the camera light part for braveheart.

BTW if anyone knows how to test mainline linux (should have no camera light issue) on pinephone please kindly tell me the steps. I still can't figure out the u-boot thing (guess I misunderstand something). I downloaded some of the pinephone developer images and then extract them but still not understand how it boots. Guess I am spoiled by all those bootable desktop linux distro that are so user friendly. Tried something like dd OS then dd u-boot bin to sd card thing but it didn't work.
(01-21-2020, 08:08 AM)pinetester Wrote: BTW if anyone knows how to test mainline linux (should have no camera light issue) on pinephone please kindly tell me the steps. I still can't figure out the u-boot thing (guess I misunderstand something). I downloaded some of the pinephone developer images and then extract them but still not understand how it boots. Guess I am spoiled by all those bootable desktop linux distro that are so user friendly. Tried something like dd OS then dd u-boot bin to sd card thing but it didn't work.

It may be confusing but in most cases one just needs to write an image to SD then restart the phone with SD inserted. U-boot with "SD first" is already there.
(01-21-2020, 08:08 AM)pinetester Wrote: BTW if anyone knows how to test mainline linux (should have no camera light issue) on pinephone please kindly tell me the steps. I still can't figure out the u-boot thing (guess I misunderstand something). I downloaded some of the pinephone developer images and then extract them but still not understand how it boots. Guess I am spoiled by all those bootable desktop linux distro that are so user friendly. Tried something like dd OS then dd u-boot bin to sd card thing but it didn't work.

The images that are available now are already all running mainline linux. The flashlight turning on thing is because the flashlight is on the same line as something from the eMMC flash. It doesn't happen when you boot an OS image from the sd card since uboot doesn't access the eMMC then.

The boot process for the A64 soc is documented on the sunxi wiki since it's the same for all A64 devices. (http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_U-Boot)
(01-21-2020, 02:46 PM)Dmytro Wrote:

It may be confusing but in most cases one just needs to write an image to SD then restart the phone with SD inserted. U-boot with "SD first" is already there.
I mean if I try to dd a linux image which is not designed for pinephone do I need to worry about the u-boot thing? Indeed pinephone images like the ubuntu one doesn't require dd u-boot separately as it is inside the boot folder.

(01-21-2020, 05:31 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote:

The images that are available now are already all running mainline linux. The flashlight turning on thing is because the flashlight is on the same line as something from the eMMC flash. It doesn't happen when you boot an OS image from the sd card since uboot doesn't access the eMMC then.

The boot process for the A64 soc is documented on the sunxi wiki since it's the same for all A64 devices. (http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_U-Boot)
I guess I did it wrong, but I booted from sd card only (as if it fails it boots to factory testing os). At the maemo leste page
https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/pinepho.../20190515/
I tried both images with or without sql and won't boot (no bin), tried with dd image then the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl-sopine.bin it got the black screen and camera light turned on.
I don't think that maemo image is ready for the PinePhone braveheart yet.
! ! ! !

*  In the Wiki I cannot find any information on the boot order,  

OR where this is Stored  ?  This could be helpful information, especially for the "End Users" !

IF or when we Botch an eMMC installation,  Will this prevent us from booting to the SD cart...

One issue I did notice in the wiki is the UART seems to not but operating correctly yet ?

Safest to only boot from the SD card for the time being  ?  ?  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Hello fellow Piners!

I received my braveheart today.  For those who haven't yet received their phones, mine was shipped on 1/20 from Hong Kong, arrived Switzerland 1/29, departed 1/30, arrived in New York on 2/2, left New York on 2/5, and arrived here (Vermont, USA) today.  

I've only had it out of the box for two hours but this is a "first impressions" thread so...

I like the overall look/feel.  It's thinner than I expected--actually thinner than my pixel 3A in its case.  The back was easy to remove and replace when I took the battery protective tape off.  I'm very grateful that it came with a screen protector preinstalled, though the protector itself provides a bit more friction than the tempered glass I usually use.  If I don't get used to it, I will replace it when possible.

I ran the touchscreen test, which simply provided boxes down the length of each side of the screen.  They all turned blue when I touched them so... guess that's all good.  
The earpiece test played a woman's voice saying "front left" repeatedly.  The speaker test was the exact same audio.  The motor test button activated the motor.  The RGB LED test caused the LED to light red, then green, then a brief pause, then blue, then a color that was a pinkish purple, rather than white, but it is distinct enough from red that I'm sure I'll be able to remember that it's white.

In summary, I'm delighted to finally have my hands on this device, and am just as excited as I was when I woke up at 3AM on release day to place my order!  Many, many thanks to everyone at Pine64, all the devs and community members who are working so hard to make this a viable platform, and lastly, to all the people in Hong Kong and elsewhere who made all the parts, assembled the phones, and sent them our way.  Happy New Year to you all, and I fervently hope the coronavirus is on the way to containment so you folks can have your lives back.
I've received my phone. All the hardware seems to be working, although I haven't tested mobile data and phone calls/sms since I don't have a nano to micro sim adapter yet. I'm running postmarketOS with Plasma mobile, which works but needs a lot of work. Wifi works but I haven't been able to get a web browser working. I've tested the included one (Angelfish) and it doesn't load pages. I installed Falkon, but it had a graphics problem and didn't work. I installed firefox, which loaded fine but tapping on the url bar didn't bring up the keyboard. (Now that I think about it, you can load pages in firefox from the cli so I'll report back on that in a bit).

I've been running postmarketOS from the SD card which works fine, but I haven't been able to install it to eMMC. Has anyone had success with this? One last question, how would I connect a mouse/keyboard? I have a usb-c to usb-a input converter which works with my Android phone, but connecting a keyboard with it doesn't work.
I've since installed UBports and I'm thoroughly impressed. Once texting and calls work this will be really close to a daily driver phone. The amount of work put into both the software and the hardware on this thing is incredible, so I'd like to give a huge thank you to all the developers!

I've also dropped the phone causing it to turn off twice. First time I accidentally dropped it on the ground and it shut off, which is understandable. Luckily it wasn't damaged. The other time however I accidentally dropped it about an inch onto my laptop, and it shut off again. I thought maybe the developers would want to hear about this in case it's a problem with the battery placement or something.

Edit: I got LTE working. I saw some people worrying that the Pinephone wouldn't connect in the USA, but at the very least T-mobile works here.
(02-06-2020, 05:18 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ! ! ! !

*  In the Wiki I cannot find any information on the boot order, 

It is here, has been for a while Smile . Us suckers still waiting need to maintain the wiki - as always those who can, do. Those who can't, write about it Big Grin
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie impressions PP64 Dinosaur1946 10 5,819 01-11-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  SD card requirements for Pine Phone (Brave Heart edition) bcnaz 9 15,080 02-13-2020, 05:58 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  My Brave Heart bcnaz 0 1,871 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
Exclamation Brave Heart Edition bcnaz 5 8,176 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM
  Brave Heart 'welcome letter' draft - feedback welcome Luke 26 30,748 12-25-2019, 05:02 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Pine Phone Brave Heart November pre-order date ? bcnaz 12 16,430 11-12-2019, 06:33 PM