Has your NVMe affected your battery at all?
Earlier this week I got a Sabrent Rocket NANO 512 to try out in my PBP as a shared data drive.

Upon installation and first boot, everything seemed hunky-dory and normal. I took it to work, as usual, and noticed more battery drain than normal. After poking around with nvme-cli, I learned that drive doesn't have ideal power consumption or power savings settings for the PBP. When I took it home, I put it back on the charger, as I usually do, to let it sit until the next morning.

The next day (NVMe still installed) I grabbed it, went to work, and started it up. It was then that I noticed the PBP started with only 66% battery and it was still dropping fast. That day I initiated a return of the drive, wiped it, and removed the drive when I got home. I, again, plugged it back into the charger while off, to sit until the next morning.

Now that the drive is out, I'm still getting a max charge of 66%, whether I boot into Manjaro or Chromium OS. The only changes made were the installation of the NVMe drive, so I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this issue with a drive installed?

I'm pretty bothered that suddenly I lost ~40% battery life/capacity, and there's been no indication as to why or how to resolve it, from what I can tell. If anyone has any helpful suggestions to troubleshoot, please share!
I would gladly help but, as you know, I have mine installed since yesterday.

If it helps - today I was using it quite heavily for at least 5 hours without charge.
I haven't had that problem with MyDigitalSSD SBXe 80mm 480.  I have bveen running for at least two, perhaps three  weeks,  and did heavy disk testing initially,  but probably nothing that stresses it a lot lately, but the battery has never shown any issues.   

I am running manjaro xfce,  and the XFCE power manager shows  some info about the battery.   Do you have a similar application that you can try looking at? 

Also what (if anthing) do you see in dmesg (dmesg  ! grep cw2015)?

Have you tried
1.  letting the battery run until it's very low.dead and putting back on charger for a few hours

or

2. removing the battery  and re-inserting it? 

I'm not positive how you can tell whether this is a problem with the battery itself or a reporting problem in the software.... 

You might want to check out https://www.maketecheasier.com/monitor-l...age-linux/
For leads on some tools that might help you see what is going on. 

If you remove the battery and plug in the cables that allow you to use the device without the battery, is everything OK?
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)as400 Wrote: I would gladly help but, as you know, I have mine installed since yesterday.

If it helps - today I was using it quite heavily for at least 5 hours without charge.

I'm honestly curious if this was due to its power draw. When it was initially inserted, Manjaro displayed a battery icon that of 66% and charging. I didn't think much of it, because I immediately formatted the drive and booted into CrOS to confirm whether or not it would mount it at boot. Heck, maybe that's what I need to do, boot into CrOS again and see how it charges.

(01-16-2020, 04:06 PM)belfastraven Wrote: I haven't had that problem with MyDigitalSSD SBXe 80mm 480.  I have bveen running for at least two, perhaps three  weeks,  and did heavy disk testing initially,  but probably nothing that stresses it a lot lately, but the battery has never shown any issues.   

I am running manjaro xfce,  and the XFCE power manager shows  some info about the battery.   Do you have a similar application that you can try looking at? 

Have you tried
1.  letting the battery run until it's very low.dead and putting back on charger for a few hours

or

I'm not positive how you can tell whether this is a problem with the battery itself or a reporting problem in the software.... 

You might want to check out https://www.maketecheasier.com/monitor-l...age-linux/

If you remove the battery and plug in the cables that allow you to use the device without the battery, is everything OK?

I use gnome3, so no, but I'll see if anything similar is available to me. 

Looked earlier while discussing it in the IRC, got 66.

I'm going to boot into the emmc tonight and leave it to spend out the battery while I'm out tonight. Hopefully it'll be dead by the time I get home tonight and I can plug it back up before going to bed. I have not opened it up yet (no screwdrivers at work, or space) but I can give that a shot over the weekend.

Thanks for the link! I'll probably spend my free time tomorrow digging into battery  reporting software.
(01-16-2020, 04:59 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 03:34 PM)as400 Wrote: I would gladly help but, as you know, I have mine installed since yesterday.

I'm honestly curious if this was due to its power draw. When it was initially inserted, Manjaro displayed a battery icon that of 66% and charging. I didn't think much of it, because I immediately formatted the drive and booted into CrOS to confirm whether or not it would mount it at boot. Heck, maybe that's what I need to do, boot into CrOS again and see how it charges.

(01-16-2020, 04:06 PM)belfastraven Wrote: I haven't had that problem with MyDigitalSSD SBXe 80mm 480.  I have bveen running for at least two, perhaps three  weeks,  and did heavy disk testing initially,  but probably nothing that stresses it a lot lately, but the battery has never shown any issues.   

Have you tried

or

I use gnome3, so no, but I'll see if anything similar is available to me. 

Looked earlier while discussing it in the IRC, got 66.

I'm going to boot into the emmc tonight and leave it to spend out the battery while I'm out tonight. Hopefully it'll be dead by the time I get home tonight and I can plug it back up before going to bed. I have not opened it up yet (no screwdrivers at work, or space) but I can give that a shot over the weekend.

Thanks for the link! I'll probably spend my free time tomorrow digging into battery  reporting software.
I just realized that the nano is a USB3 drive.  Some others have reported here that USB3 drives sometimes won't run because of power issues.   I have an internal NVME as does AS400, I believe.   I think the problem here is the USB3 connection of that drive.

It seems like for a shared data drive you might need to used something which accepts an additional power connection which is not great if you are intending to use the drive while away from mains power.   Some people have noted that the battery will run down even if the pbp is plugged in, if certain devices are plugged into various ports....  .  I 'm not sure how this would actually hurt the battery , though. 

You might NOT want to let the battery get too low, I realize, after further on-line investigation. it seems that discharging a lithium battery might cause further degradation.   It seems like undercharging ( not using the proper charging device) or depleting a lithium battery might make things worse.   I have seen these batteries for sale, even on Amazon,  but I'm not sure what the connector specification is.  It should not be a big deal if you need to replce the battery.
I wasn't planning to run the battery into the ground. I'm letting sit for the 4-5 hrs quoted. Then plugging it in.

That's interesting. I didn't see that when I was looking at the drive, but there was much they didn't share, such as power. Where did you find the info on the USB3? This was the drive I purchased.

I didn't expect it to be too hard to replace. I know Pine has done their best to keep hardware that's easy to find/replace.
@tophneal you don't have to look for anything. If you have Manjaro KDE somewhere just boot it and everything you need is in "Info Center" application, section "Energy Information".
I'm really interested in what you have in "Original charge capacity" and "Last full charge".

Take a look how it looks on mine pbp.

.png   power.png (Size: 55.37 KB / Downloads: 489)
(01-17-2020, 02:09 AM)as400 Wrote: @tophneal you don't have to look for anything. If you have Manjaro KDE somewhere just boot it and everything you need is in "Info Center" application, section "Energy Information".
I'm really interested in what you have in "Original charge capacity" and "Last full charge".

Take a look how it looks on mine pbp.

What's that package name? I'm running the Gnome3 image, so I only have one KDE app (the Manjaro Settings app.)
(01-17-2020, 07:18 AM)tophneal Wrote: What's that package name? I'm running the Gnome3 image, so I only have one KDE app (the Manjaro Settings app.)

I don't know if it's worth installing one package. You will probably end up installing a lot of other packages to make it work properly.
Just download KDE version and burn it to SD.
(01-17-2020, 07:55 AM)as400 Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 07:18 AM)tophneal Wrote: What's that package name? I'm running the Gnome3 image, so I only have one KDE app (the Manjaro Settings app.)

I don't know if it's worth installing one package. You will probably end up installing a lot  of other packages to make it work properly.
Just download KDE version and burn it to SD.

Eh. I have my PBP right now, but not any spare SDs (all at home.) I'll look through the KDE package list and see if I can find it, and check its dependencies. It might not require too many additional dependencies (I can always remove them once I'm done, too.)

EDIT: So I was wrong. There is some Power stats available to me in this image. Here's what Power Statistics showed me for the battery:

[Image: WQcNlH0.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad replacement battery? chris88233 3 256 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: tllim
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 156 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  Bypassing the Battery gilwood 0 196 02-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  PBPro Battery specification Perl6_user 3 458 12-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: DrYak
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 958 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM