PBP Hardware Issues
Whereas there are a number of problems commonly reported, such as weak WiFi, no sound, unable to set the time, keyboard and trackpad issues, etc., those are all most likely due to software and firmware.  Issues with docks and dongles could be either software or hardware problems.  This thread is to help keep track of electrical and mechanical issues that cannot be addressed through software or firmware.

1) The NVMe SSD interface adapter sold in the Pine Store did not fit.  It was announced that a repair kit would be shipped.  When will it ship? Does the adapter that is currently in the Pine store work, or is it the same one that doesn't work?

2) The serial console adapter sold in the Pine Store is apparently the wrong voltage and the wrong chipset for the PBP.  Which 3.3V adapters have the correct chipset?

3) We need a Bill of Materials for mechanical parts, including specificity for screws, spacers, and the CPU heat transfer pad.

4) There are reports of the plastic underneath the USB ports breaking.

5) There are reports of the battery discharging while connected to external power via barrel port or USB-C.   What is the maximum amount of current that the PBP can safely use from external power?

6) There are reports of various high-pitched or whining noises that seem related to the PBP's power supply circuitry.
(01-16-2020, 01:19 PM)zaius Wrote: 5) There are reports of the battery discharging while connected to external power via barrel port or USB-C.   What is the maximum amount of current that the PBP can safely use from external power?

I've noticed when the barrel jack/USB-C is connected, the battery could dramatically fail from 100 % to 93 % and starts charging again from 93 % to 100 %.
I am curious about the NVMe Adapter, too. I was under the impression that I would be receiving a fixed adapter. I ended up folding the cable to make it fit, which makes me nervous, but works.
For me, personally, the most worrying thing is temperature.

Today I compressed 6,5GB tar file with xz level 6. Which is moderate. The SOC temperature raised to 73. I was really afraid I will fry the thing.
73°C sounds reasonable for a CPU-intensive task. FYI, my MSI laptop regularly climbs to 95°C while gaming, before throttling itself down...
What temperature monitoring tool are you using? The one but into bionic mate seems to say 17 degrees all the time
I was trying to to get the temperatures working properly and found this post in another thread.

if you create a shell script with the linked code then run it it reads the CPU and GPU temp.
so you could run it in a shell using watch to keep refreshing the temps or use it as described

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...4#pid52534
Linux n00b trying to learn.
Brute force and ignorance sometimes works!
| Pinebook Pro + Toshiba OCZ RC100 240GB |
(01-17-2020, 12:49 PM)mamboman777 Wrote: I am curious about the NVMe Adapter, too.  I was under the impression that I would be receiving a fixed adapter.  I ended up folding the cable to make it fit, which makes me nervous, but works.

Is there any official announcement how is this being resolved? I have the PBP for some time but I was unable to use it with NVME SSD I bought. I do not want to fold the cable.

(01-16-2020, 01:19 PM)zaius Wrote: Whereas there are a number of ...
1) The NVMe SSD interface ...
2) The serial console adapter sold in th...
3) We need a Bill of Materials for mechanical parts...
4) There are reports of the plastic underneath the USB ports breaking.
5) There are reports of the bat...
6) There are reports of various high-pitched or...

4) My corners of LCD screen snapped. I is still together but cracks are clearly visible.
6) When I boot to preinstalled Debian I can hear high pitch noise for few seconds and also cracks, hum and noise. I think all of it comes from speakers though.
my temps have been 30-55C. Surprisingly stayed at 45C during extended compilation. haven't figured out why it spikes higher than 45C when not seeming to do intensive tasks...
I've an issue with LCD panel's backlight. It never worked. They sent me a new LCD Panel, but it didn't resolve my problem.

I'm supposing in some way it hasn't enough energy to turn it on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Hardware makes a strange pop noise. Gemeindepirat 7 2,742 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: User 27258
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  Touchpad Issues - August 2022 Run SteveCaruso 5 2,801 12-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: doug
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,701 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Question PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck issues pawzy 3 4,780 06-19-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Rosbeefandino
  Hardware shortcomings commiecam 14 8,721 01-30-2022, 09:04 AM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  Pinebook pro Hardware failure: how should I diagnose it? alxndr.psclt 5 4,540 09-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro Boot Issues - Booting needs multiple attempts mtndew 13 17,037 10-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: wdt
  hardware compatibility table in the wiki.. kernel version? speculatrix 1 3,113 09-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tophneal