External DAC
Hello Pine64 forums

Once we have a proper linux version running, i would love to see an external I2S DAC (like hifi-berry)

Should be quite cheap to make - possibly via kickstarter so NRE costs of PCB making/assembly can be shared amoung many users.

If people are interested I'm willing to help with/do most of the hardware design.

What do ppl think ?

Regards
(01-03-2016, 11:18 AM)kresten_ Wrote: Hello Pine64 forums

Once we have a proper linux version running, i would love to see an external I2S DAC (like hifi-berry)

Should be quite cheap to make - possibly via kickstarter so NRE costs of PCB making/assembly can be shared amoung many users.

If people are interested I'm willing to help with/do most of the hardware design.

What do ppl think ?

Regards

We already have such plan and welcome on your participation and plan to use ESS Sabre ES9023 DAC.
I think that, the raspberry shield must be compatible with pine board, because it's the same I/O connector.
The pine board have I2s output, you can use for audio project. you can use too PCM5102 from TI.
(01-03-2016, 12:00 PM)hazerty Wrote: I think that, the raspberry shield must be compatible with pine board, because it's the same I/O connector.
The pine board have I2s output, you can use for audio project. you can use too PCM5102 from TI.

The Pine A64 board has its own I2S bus include I2S data in and out pins and SPDIF out pin, the audio project should be easier than RP.
(01-03-2016, 12:14 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 12:00 PM)hazerty Wrote: I think that, the raspberry shield must be compatible with pine board, because it's the same I/O connector.

The Pine A64 board has its own I2S bus include I2S data in and out pins and SPDIF out pin, the audio project should be easier than RP.

The first RPis had no I2S, but the RPi 1 PCB Rev. 2.0 added the P5 header which has I2S CLK/FSYNC/DIN/DOUT as alternate function on GPIOs 28-31.
RPI B+ and RPI 2 moved this signals to the extended 40 pin header (previously 26 pins).

Unfortunately the Pine has I2S on the euler bus, not on the RPI header, thus it is not fully pin compatible.

On the plus side, the Pine has the I2S master clock signal which is required by some I2S DACs.

The pine also has the S/PDIF compatible OWA (one wire audio) which directly connects to an optical transceiver (~5 €/US$, plus some caps/resistors).

Last but not least the Pine has a proper DAC built in, compared to the RPis crappy PWM based, ~12bit resolution onboard audio, so probably you don't have to use an external DAC. (Caveat, measurements pending ...).
(01-29-2016, 07:01 PM)StefanB Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 12:14 PM)tllim Wrote:

The first RPis had no I2S, but the RPi 1 PCB Rev. 2.0 added the P5 header which has I2S CLK/FSYNC/DIN/DOUT as alternate function on GPIOs 28-31.
RPI B+ and RPI 2 moved this signals to the extended 40 pin header (previously 26 pins).

Unfortunately the Pine has I2S on the euler bus, not on the RPI header, thus it is not fully pin compatible.

On the plus side, the Pine has the I2S master clock signal which is required by some I2S DACs.

The pine also has the S/PDIF compatible OWA (one wire audio) which directly connects to an optical transceiver (~5 €/US$, plus some caps/resistors).

Last but not least the Pine has a proper DAC built in, compared to the RPis crappy PWM based, ~12bit resolution onboard audio, so probably you don't have to use an external DAC. (Caveat, measurements pending ...).
I think external DAC will yield much better SNR. We plan to design an audio DAC board using ESS Sebra ES9023.
... TL
Hello, it's a cool announcement Smile

Waiting for this, what do we have to buy if we want to conect to sonos spdif ?

Regards,

Romain.
I'd rather see an AK4495S or ESS9018.

A high quality analog output to my Cambridge Audio amp is what I want Wink.
(01-30-2016, 03:11 AM)barichon21 Wrote: Hello, it's a cool announcement Smile

Waiting for this, what do we have to buy if we want to conect to sonos spdif ?

Regards,

Romain.
For Sonos, use DLNA.

(01-30-2016, 03:24 AM)Danton Wrote: I'd rather see an AK4495S or ESS9018.

A high quality analog output to my Cambridge Audio amp is what I want Wink.

I know somebody will ask about ESS9018 :-) Lets design a good performance board that everybody can enjoy first before jump into a stocking price high-end board.
(01-30-2016, 11:31 AM)tllim Wrote: I know somebody will ask about ESS9018 :-) Lets design a good performance board that everybody can enjoy first before jump into a stocking price high-end board.

Cool sounds good to me!

What's the price difference?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Popping on SPDIF - External DAC mjgoode 3 8,967 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Last Post: TrisWood