CPU Frequency
Hi to everybody I'm proud owner of the pinebook pro but I have some issues with it ..
So the problem is till now the CPU frequency monitor (left from the clock) was showing 1.99 GHz max but some how it show the scale only up to 1.51 GHz even on Performance mode.. I've try $ sudo lscpu | grep MHz the result was CPU max MHz:         1512.0000  CPU min MHz:           408.0000. (clearly it shows only the little cores but that's funny how till now always it was showing 1.99 GHz and now it goes only up to 1.51 can someone of you test the command sudo lscpu | grep and share the results) and give me some feedback what the cpu frequency monitor shows ?

thanks
Indeed:

Code:
lukasz@Debian-Desktop:~$ sudo lscpu      
Architecture:          aarch64
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                6
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-5
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    3
Socket(s):             2
Model:                 4
Model name:            ARMv8 Processor rev 4 (v8l)
CPU max MHz:           1512.0000
CPU min MHz:           408.0000
BogoMIPS:              48.00
Flags:                 half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt lpae evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32

But:
Code:
lukasz@Debian-Desktop:cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy/cpuinfo_max_freq

lukasz@Debian-Desktop:cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/cpuinfo_max_freq
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-15-2020, 07:32 PM)Luke Wrote: Indeed:

Code:
Flags:                 half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt lpae evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32

But:
Code:
lukasz@Debian-Desktop:cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy/cpuinfo_max_freq

lukasz@Debian-Desktop:cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/cpuinfo_max_freq

so only the widget playing stupid nothing wrong with my pinebook ? I did't see any difference in the performance anyways it runs like it run yesterday..  it was showing 1.99 GHz yesterday...
(01-15-2020, 07:54 PM)tso4ev Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:32 PM)Luke Wrote: Indeed:

Code:

But:
Code:

so only the widget playing stupid nothing wrong with my pinebook ? I did't see any difference in the performance anyways it runs like it run yesterday..  it was showing 1.99 GHz yesterday...

today I've made a clean reinstall with the latest update and I can confirm the widget bug, if you click on it with right mouse button and remove it after that adding it again it will not show over 1.5GHz stupid little bug..
(01-15-2020, 07:14 PM)tso4ev Wrote: Hi to everybody I'm proud owner of the pinebook pro but I have some issues with it ..
So the problem is till now the CPU frequency monitor (left from the clock) was showing 1.99 GHz max but some how it show the scale only up to 1.51 GHz even on Performance mode.. I've try $ sudo lscpu | grep MHz the result was CPU max MHz:         1512.0000  CPU min MHz:           408.0000. (clearly it shows only the little cores but that's funny how till now always it was showing 1.99 GHz and now it goes only up to 1.51 can someone of you test the command sudo lscpu | grep and share the results) and give me some feedback what the cpu frequency monitor shows ?

thanks

What Performance settings are you using ?

I find I am happy with mine set to 'On Demand'

While mine will go up to 1.99GHz, It seldom stays there for long.

(that's my ANSI PBP,  my ISO PBP will indicate up to 2.1GHz Momentarily )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-18-2020, 03:01 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 07:14 PM)tso4ev Wrote: Hi to everybody I'm proud owner of the pinebook pro but I have some issues with it ..

thanks

What Performance settings are you using ?

I find I am happy with mine set to 'On Demand'

While mine will go up to 1.99GHz, It seldom stays there for long.

(that's my ANSI PBP,  my ISO PBP will indicate up to 2.1GHz Momentarily )

That widget is absolute garbage I'm using on demand too ANSI PBP but the widget shows 1.51 and in reality it goes up to 199200 on a heavy load I just had my first power off due overheating trying to copy 10 GB pictures from my Android phone and the PBP was on original power plug in the same time Big Grin it was really hot and it smells like burn plastic till now I'm a bit disappointed my rp4 is way slower but on the software side is years ahead ... hopefully PBP will get there too some day
hmm.... Mine is almost constantly running up and down, just moving my cursor causes a quick/short spike in the reading.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-18-2020, 03:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: hmm....  Mine is almost constantly running up and down, just moving my cursor causes a quick/short spike in the reading.

thats normal but the problem here is the widget after removing it and adding it back it doesnt show the scale up to 1.99GHz
Mine reads about the same when using the OEM install on the eMMC,

and when I run from an SD card using the same @mrfixit OEM download.

( I wanted to try out booting from SD, surprising how well it runs from the SD card)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

thanks

I think this is related to the big.little core arrangement. Not all cores have the same maximum clock speed, so your little A53s clock up to 1.5 GHz while the big A72s clock up to 2 GHz, but your widget picked a core at random to monitor and got one of the A53s assuming it's representative. If you can change the monitored core you should be able to correct it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Controlling CPU frequency - no 2GHz? jimsurvak 14 13,170 01-31-2021, 04:11 AM
Last Post: generaleramon