postmarketOS/Alpine edge image for the Pinebook Pro
This is awesome. I love it. It's so fast and snappy.

Thanks for your write-up @Surehand53, I'd have struggled without it. Micro and Termite are really cool.

I've also installed waybar and I immediately fell for Sway. This is so cool. This is exactly the WM I craved.

pmbootstrap works like a charm. I had no issues preparing the mSD card for my PineBook Pro. I "built" and flashed it to my phone as well (no PinePhone sadly, just an old Galaxy A3 2015 I had lying around). I tried all the WMs and as a new Sway fan I favour Sxmo Wink

Sound worked out of the box for me. At the moment I try to map the Fn keys so I can control the backlight (I'm doing this via terminal now, with the package 'light'). I couldn't get the battery module in waybar to report any useful information, but can't get behind the reason - I think I'm missing some dependencies. It detects the plugged in charger and I can get the capacity values of the battery via CLI, but the module doesn't get it (I've added the battery in the config). Same with the clock, but this could be related to musl.

If you're looking for an IDE check out Kdevelop. I couldn't get PyCharm running and couldn't get used to BlueFish.

Really cool OS, thanks a lot to the pmOS team and especially you, @MartijnBraam! You guys are awesome.
Guys, could anyone write a tutorial how to get this installed on the eMMC?
Thank you, keep up the good work!
Hey there,

if anyone is capable of writing a complete, quality step-by-step tutorial on how to install postmarketOS to the eMMC of the PBP I’d even pay a modest 50USD for it, for the future benefit of the community.

Love the OS, let’s make it happen on the eMMC!

Cheers!
(02-14-2021, 12:25 PM)pmjohann Wrote: Hey there,

if anyone is capable of writing a complete, quality step-by-step tutorial on how to install postmarketOS to the eMMC of the PBP I’d even pay a modest 50USD for it, for the future benefit of the community.

Love the OS, let’s make it happen on the eMMC!

Cheers!

Well today is your lucky day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjzNr7wnBpk
I managed to install pmOS on the Pinebook with the provided installer with Sway with full disk encryption. Thanks for all the great work!
Is there a way to disable the software keyboard at the boot when typing the encryption password? It seems unnecessary, as the display is not touch sensitive anyway.
Also, how do I suspend the device on pmOS?
I feel like this is an improvement (KDE version), lacking some of the bugs in Manjaro, I like it. I noticed two issues:
- the boot partition isn't big enough to update the kernel and with disk encription it's not easy to reduce the root partition to make space to change its size.
- why every time I try to load a webpage in Chromium 'the site can't be reached' for a moment? Is the wifi chip constantly being put to sleep? Just a slight delay, but should be fixed. Also it doesn't ever auto-connect to a wifi network despite the setting being in place.
Hi, since I got my Pinebook Pro yesterday (yay!). Since I'm a fan of Alpine Linux I decided to try the Sway flavoured image of postmarketOS. But I'm not able to open any windows it seems. I can see the background image, date in right corner and workplace number on the left (I presume) but that's it. Pressing logo key + Enter does nothing (meaning no window gets displayed). Pressing logo key + d reveals names of programs at the very top but selecting alacritty and hitting Enter does nothing as well. I've tried this image: https://images.postmarketos.org/pinebook...ler.img.xz and also today's edge build https://images.postmarketos.org/bpo/edge...ler.img.xz without any luck. I might be missing something obvious but at the moment I can't think of anything. Could someone please confirm that any of those images works for them out of the box and they are able to open terminal from within the window manager? Thanks!
(06-01-2021, 04:23 AM)lusk Wrote: Hi, since I got my Pinebook Pro yesterday (yay!). Since I'm a fan of Alpine Linux I decided to try the Sway flavoured image of postmarketOS. But I'm not able to open any windows it seems. I can see the background image, date in right corner and workplace number on the left (I presume) but that's it. Pressing logo key + Enter does nothing (meaning no window gets displayed). Pressing logo key + d reveals names of programs at the very top but selecting alacritty and hitting Enter does nothing as well. I've tried this image: https://images.postmarketos.org/pinebook...ler.img.xz and also today's edge build https://images.postmarketos.org/bpo/edge...ler.img.xz without any luck. I might be missing something obvious but at the moment I can't think of anything. Could someone please confirm that any of those images works for them out of the box and they are able to open terminal from within the window manager? Thanks!

Never mind, I've figured it out. I used a postmarketOS image with no desktop environment, installed sway manually (after figuring out how to connect to my wifi Smile I followed the steps at https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Sway + installed elogind) and ran sway manually (which allowed me to see its error messages) only to find out that alacritty needs "GPU capable of running GLSL 3.30 or higher" (see https://github.com/alacritty/alacritty/issues/3624 for details). So I edited sway config file to start alacritty with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 variable (as suggested in comments at GH) and it seems to work!
You can also use
Code:
PAN_MESA_DEBUG=gl3
to enable hardware acceleration.
My dudes, Martin, my man, everyone, I'm very pro PostmarketOS, I proudly bought the CE phone, and I get that PBP isn't exactly the intended use case but can the sway version:
- have a 4GB swap file active on boot by default,
- hardware acceleration by default,
- fn keys working by default
- a swaybar with a bit of basic info?
and most importantly
- Super+enter must bring up a terminal. I boot up, can't do anything, can't open a terminal to change that, try to exit to raw CLI and it just auto goes back to sway. Might as well not offer a sway version, just let us install from bare version, so we can make sure a terminal works

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,924 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,324 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 607 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap