postmarketOS/Alpine edge image for the Pinebook Pro
Just installed this build with the latest update. Worked well. What took me the longest was getting the resize_rootfs.sh script. I wish it was included in the build. Besides that, flawless.

Had a small issue related to Alpine - I'm completely new to it - and I wonder if you guys can give me a hand. I upgraded to the latest kernel via apk upgrade -a. I like Gnome so I wanted to get the rest of the gnome apps via apk add gnome-apps and received some messages dealing with "unsatisfiable constrains" dealing mainly with mesa. Is there a way to bypass that without messing up the underlying system and get the rest of the gnome apps installed?

Thanks in advance and thanks @MartijnBraam for the OS port, love it. Keep up the good work!!!
For people having "booting up issues", be aware of this issue:

https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports..._328120311
(04-21-2020, 04:15 PM)anjanmomi Wrote: For people having "booting up issues", be aware of this issue:

A fix for that has been merged, if you update you should have u-boot-rockpro64-2020.04-r0. You can update the u-boot on the eMMC by running the "update-u-boot" script as root

(04-21-2020, 08:33 AM)digeratus1. Wrote: Had a small issue related to Alpine - I'm completely new to it - and I wonder if you guys can give me a hand. I upgraded to the latest kernel via apk upgrade -a. I like Gnome so I wanted to get the rest of the gnome apps via apk add gnome-apps and received some messages dealing with "unsatisfiable constrains" dealing mainly with mesa. Is there a way to bypass that without messing up the underlying system and get the rest of the gnome apps installed?

That's a hard problem. I think one of the gnome-apps explicitly depends on another mesa version than what is in postmarketOS which causes this issue. The fix is manually installing the apps you want instead of the metapackage. (The list can be find in dependencies here: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edg...gnome-apps)
(04-22-2020, 09:17 AM)MartijnBraam Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 04:15 PM)anjanmomi Wrote: For people having "booting up issues", be aware of this issue:

A fix for that has been merged, if you update you should have u-boot-rockpro64-2020.04-r0. You can update the u-boot on the eMMC by running the "update-u-boot" script as root

(04-21-2020, 08:33 AM)digeratus1. Wrote: Had a small issue related to Alpine - I'm completely new to it - and I wonder if you guys can give me a hand. I upgraded to the latest kernel via apk upgrade -a. I like Gnome so I wanted to get the rest of the gnome apps via apk add gnome-apps and received some messages dealing with "unsatisfiable constrains" dealing mainly with mesa. Is there a way to bypass that without messing up the underlying system and get the rest of the gnome apps installed?

That's a hard problem. I think one of the gnome-apps explicitly depends on another mesa version than what is in postmarketOS which causes this issue. The fix is manually installing the apps you want instead of the metapackage. (The list can be find in dependencies here: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edg...gnome-apps)

Thank you. I'll try that out. Any luck with Firefox 75?
I figured out how to get Firefox 75 and few other goodies for a minimal desktop until gnome-apps is fully supported with the current mesa library...

Firefox 75
sudo apk --no-cache add --repository http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community firefox

Gnome Tweaks - dark themes, etc
sudo apk add gnome-tweaks
or
sudo apk --no-cache add --repository http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community gnome-tweaks

nautilus - Gnome Default File Manager
sudo apk add nautilus
or
sudo apk --no-cache add --repository http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community nautilus

Wireguard - VPN
sudo apk add wireguard-tools

Hope this helps
Hi.

I am using postmarketos with sway since today. All in all it works really well, although there are also a few niggles
I write down here how all worked and how I have installed it and which problems I still have. I have used the PBP and Manjaro to install a sd card with postmarketos / sway.

Installation

As mentioned by Martin, PostmarketOS for PBP is now merged to the standard postmarketos installer.

The install tool for PostmarketOS is pmbootstrap and is build with Python. So you need to have Pythin and pip installed, then you can install the tool with these instructions.

The install guide for postmarketos is here.

In a nutshell you have these commands:

Code:
pmbootstrap pull
pmbootstrap init

Here choose pine64 as manufacturer and pinebookpro as model, most of the other questions can stay default, for the user interface choose sway.

As postmarketos gets installed on a sd card, now is the time to pop one in.

the command lsblk gets you the name of the sd card. Basically not the one that has "/" on one line, the other one. The size is also a good hint.
In my case on Manjaro the name of the sd card was mmcblk1. With that the command to install on the sd card is:

Code:
pmbootstrap install --sdcard

After the installation, reboot.

The Mod key is the Pine key <pine>.

Terminal

<Pine> + Enter does not work to start a terminal.
Alacritty is set up as default terminal and  not installed 

After installing alacritty this error comes up on startup:

Code:
Alacritty encountered an unrecoverable error:

There was an error initializing the shaders: Failed compiling shader at /home/buildozer/aports/community/alacritty/src/alacritty-0.4.2/alacritty/../res/text.v.glsl: 0:14(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES

Work around: use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a tty terminal, install dmenu (see bellow) and then use urxvt as terminal

Wifi
To turn on Wifi use nmtui

Dmenu

Dmenu is the default to start applications, however it not installed out of the box.

Add dmenu with

Code:
sudo apk add dmenu

and then start applications with <Pine>+d

Graphics

In the forum it is mentioned to install mesa-git-dri-panfrost and mesa-git-dri-kmsro, however I cannot find these packages. When I search for e.g. panfrost I get mesa-git-dri-gallium as search result, not sure why.

From the error message the missing panfrost driver could also be the reason why alacritty crashes (although also in other environments it crashes a lot)

Applications

Currently Firefox (75) and VTE get an error when installing because of a version mismatch for libicuuc.so. That also means that almost all terminals cannot be installed as most are based on VTE amd as alacritty crashes the alternative is urvxt.

work around, although grudgingly: chromium

As terminal I recommend Termite

Code:
sudo apk add termite

On the bright side, Micro my by a long distance preferred terminal editor is available for install, so quickly:

Code:
sudo apt add micro

The version installed is unfortunately an a bit older release candidate with the nervy habit to ask for recovery when started with a file twice, that works, but still, hopefully the latest version will be available soon.

Mouse settings
For a new install you need to copy the defaule settings to |/.config/sway from /etc/sway/config

In the config file is a section called Input configuration with an example.

use swaymsg -t get_inputs to get all input files.

On the Pinebook Pro the touchpad should be called "9610:30:HAILUCK_CO.,LTD_USB_KEYBOARD_Touchpad"

Code:
input "9610:30:HAILUCK_CO.,LTD_USB_KEYBOARD_Touchpad" {

dwt enabled

tap enabled

natural_scroll enabled
[color=#000000][font=monospace, Courier]  }[/font][/color]

Sway works already quite well and with a bit of fine tuning it will be great. I hope the version conflict for Firefox will be resolved soon.
Thanks for the summary. Tried it this morning and it was a smooth sailing. Also Firefox installed without issues. Did you try an apk update? 
Also for the terminal I went with termite, which installed quite fine.

Still playing around with it from SD card but it already looks awesome!

If they would offer full disk encryption and install to eMMC I might buy in right away...
Yes, today Firefox and Termite work for me too.
(01-19-2020, 01:19 AM)anjanmomi Wrote: If you are a new user planning to install this distro, look at alpine's install scripts to change the keyboard mapping (I have an iso pbp) and other things: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_setup_scripts

Hey, I have tried to run Setup-keymap multiple times with or without sudo to change the ANSI keymap to gb / gb-intl (for the iso version), but it won’t work. Even though it created the keymap file in /etc/keymaps and restarted the service it still seems to use the ANSI keyboard ...

Any advice?

Thanks!
Would anyone mind sharing their alsa.conf file? I can't get sound to work for some reason. Or if you have some other way to get it work, please let me know.

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 437 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,108 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,562 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,321 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 606 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap