nVME crashes system
(01-15-2020, 10:14 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: I have not checked for firmware updates.  From what I have read, the firmware update is an iso that you boot into.  Is that safe to run on a pinebook pro using the microSD?  It does not feel hot.  The battery life dropped, but not what I would consider drastic.  It went from approx. 8hours estimated to approx. 6 hours estimated.
what is the process for figuring out the firmware that the nvme is running?

My Sabrent drive did the same thing. Upon booting up from powered off this morning, my battery showed an immediate loss of 40% power and quoted me ~4:30 hrs of use. My gut says the drive uses too much power.

I don't think you have to boot into the ISO. nvme-cli is supposed to be able to perform the update for you. I'm still learning about nvme-cli, but here's a link with man pages for it: https://www.mankier.com/package/nvme-cli

You can get the firmware version with 'sudo nvme list' I believe.
(01-15-2020, 10:24 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:14 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: I have not checked for firmware updates.  From what I have read, the firmware update is an iso that you boot into.  Is that safe to run on a pinebook pro using the microSD?  It does not feel hot.  The battery life dropped, but not what I would consider drastic.  It went from approx. 8hours estimated to approx. 6 hours estimated.
what is the process for figuring out the firmware that the nvme is running?

My Sabrent drive did the same thing. Upon booting up from powered off this morning, my battery showed an immediate loss of 40% power and quoted me ~4:30 hrs of use. My gut says the drive uses too much power.

I don't think you have to boot into the ISO. nvme-cli is supposed to be able to perform the update for you. I'm still learning about nvme-cli, but here's a link with man pages for it: https://www.mankier.com/package/nvme-cli

You can get the firmware version with 'sudo nvme list' I believe.
firmware version is 2B2QEXE7
Looks like you're running the current version.
Well...I don't know how to proceed. Unless the NVME I'm using runs at power state 0 or 1 all the time, it should run. I probably need to add this nvme experience to the file as a "no go." I purchased this Samsung because I saw it on the file as working, but it was the 250gb version (which was actually more expensive than the 500gb version I purchased).
Have you tried booting any other OS options from SD, to see it they handle the drive better than your current one?

It is unfortunate if that's the case. I know someone added the Sabrent to the wiki, but after my experience so far, I decided that entry could use modification to warn people that yes, it works, but not w/o its consequences.

Is it too late for you to return it/get a different drive?
I wonder if this may have something to do with it: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...vings-APST

I have tried bionic, debian, and manjaro.
Does nvme indicate that the APST is enabled and working?
Do you know the command for verifying that apst is enabled and working?
(01-15-2020, 05:36 PM)mamboman777 Wrote: Do you know the command for verifying that apst is enabled and working?
 from Arch Wiki
assuming you have nvme-cli installed:

sudo  nvme get-feature -f 0x0c -H /dev/nvme[0-9]

should be good for any kernel >= 4.11 

I have a mydigital SBX eco (80--so I hacked off part of the adapter with a hacksaw...).  which is a low pwer dramless device and has been running well for weeks now.    It shows APST enabled.....   I don't notice any extraordinary power usage even when running disk tests.   I'm running on Manjaro, using the new SPI mainline Flash, booting the EMMC with root on the NVME.

I run a Samsung pm981 on a rockpro64,  and its gets hot enough that I decided it wouldn't be a good candidate for the notebook.   I thought that Sabrent had also dramless disks,  but couldn't find a single-sided one.
I am going to return it. I'm going to try an Intel 660p. *Fingers crossed*

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Selling my Pinebook Pro with a bootable NVMe WD SSD drive pinemouth 0 705 09-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
  U-Boot with direct NVMe boot support for eMMC/SPI Flash pcm720 125 212,250 09-27-2022, 07:41 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  Selling Pinebook Pro (ISO) + nvme from Sweden DavidL 5 3,063 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: DavidL
  For Sale: Pinebook Pro 64gb ANSI with NVMe Adapter Lumat 2 1,992 04-24-2022, 01:42 AM
Last Post: kylexd
  Selling PineBook PRO with ISO Keyboard + NVME firefox-58 27 17,850 04-08-2022, 06:23 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  Pinebook Pro (ANSI) with NVME 1TB (660p) for sale Fish 5 3,933 01-26-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Selling PineBook PRO with ANSI Keyboard + NVME woodeen 3 3,041 11-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Last Post: luca22
  Boot from NVME theboz1@verizon.net 2 2,311 10-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Last Post: theboz1@verizon.net