Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE
@jannik2099 thanks for your work.

Can you show me your boot.scr ?
@delcaran , sorry, stuff broke because a dependency changed in the repo. There's not really an automated way to do the required things so I manually have to adapt the script every time this happens - I should probably set up an automated test suite

I tried to reproduce this with both the systemd and openrc tarball but couldn't do that, perhaps the repo was updated again? Either way, I've updated the script to run dispatch-conf , which will prompt you to manually merge these changes should they be required (press m, then r, then u). Please download the script again and try in a fresh tarball

@ElektromAn gentoo devs are working on migrating portage to python 3, this is nothing I can influence. Wether people want to use or mask the python 2_7 useflag is their choice

@as400 I use extlinux.conf, see https://github.com/Jannik2099/gentoo-pin...aster/boot . This is what your /boot should look like, with kernel, dtb and if needed initramfs made and installed accordingly
(01-21-2020, 10:44 AM)jannik2099 Wrote: @ElektromAn gentoo devs are working on migrating portage to python 3, this is nothing I can influence. Wether people want to use or mask the python 2_7 useflag is their choice
Wrong ;-)
portage aka emerge is *already* working with python > 2.7
This is from my notebook running Sabayon a gentoo flavour.
Code:
elektroman@T450s ~ $ cat /var/db/pkg/sys-apps/portage-2.3.69/USE
abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc ipc kernel_linux native-extensions python_targets_python2_7 python_targets_python3_6 rsync-verify userland_GNU xattr
elektroman@T450s ~ $ sudo eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
  [1]   python3.6
  [2]   python2.7
  [3]   python3.5

Python 3.6 is active
Anyway

I'm preparing/compiling included a "emerge --depclean" to remove py2, as they call this on gentoo-dev on IRC
I need some to check other (stuff) with gentoo aka /var/db/repos, I'm familiar with old "deprecated" /usr/portrage

Also the thing I discovered ~2 years ago while crosscompiling the new
"eselect repository"

layman is also deprecated
And mixing layman and eselect is a bad idea

I've cloned your repo on git, currently (also) need to setup my "environment" for working on this ;-)
And I must figure out how I do "pull request" via web, I usually do this via mail.

Hopefully this will be done until FOSDEM and I can (if someone whishes) upload this on my webpage
Sorry for that wrong claim then, I haven't familiarized myself with the python situation yet.

I had no idea layman was deprecated, I'll try see if I can figure out how to replace it with eselect-repository later. This should shave off a good chunk of the script build time, thanks!
No need to say sorry, everyone make mistakes ...
And I've done the most ;-)

Hmmmf,

I remember I have seen some layman code in your repository ...
Ahh you've updated this already

This is for make.conf

Code:
PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6"
PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"

and emerge
Code:
emerge -O =dev-lang/python:3.5 =dev-lang/python:3.6

now rebuild the stage

From https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Cheat_Sheet

you should run

Code:
emerge --update --newuse --deep --quiet @world
and

Code:
emerge -av --depclean

maybe I missing something ...
I'll leave that choice to the user, that's what Gentoo is all about after all. The migration to eselect-repository should now be complete after I pushed my brainfarts twice to master without proofreading...
Just got my PBP today, compiling this on an SD at the moment with the help of an old, but updated, Gentoo distcc vm I had stashed from my rpi3 arm64 days, so far only note I have is the script adds the repo based on git but the stage3 didn't have git, unless I missed it you may want to add installing in the instructions, or the script, but either way thanks for all your work!
Oh goddamnit, yeah now that I switched to eselect-repository it doesn't pull in git as a dependency anymore... I've added that now
(01-21-2020, 10:44 AM)jannik2099 Wrote: @delcaran , sorry, stuff broke because a dependency changed in the repo. There's not really an automated way to do the required things so I manually have to adapt the script every time this happens - I should probably set up an automated test suite

I tried to reproduce this with both the systemd and openrc tarball but couldn't do that, perhaps the repo was updated again? Either way, I've updated the script to run dispatch-conf , which will prompt you to manually merge these changes should they be required (press m, then r, then u). Please download the script again and try in a fresh tarball
Thanks man, I know keeping track of depencies is a real pain, as a Slackware user and professional developer, I share a lot of that pain Smile
Anyway, I'll keep track of your repo for all the other changes you've main and try something after work.
Thanks again!
(01-21-2020, 11:43 PM)jannik2099 Wrote: Oh goddamnit, yeah now that I switched to eselect-repository it doesn't pull in git as a dependency anymore... I've added that now

Also, the repos.conf directory is missing, I made a pull request on your repo.

Now I'm compiling the musl hardened profile, I'll give some feedback when it ends.

I must had that I tryed this stage3 but emerge says it can't find /usr/portage, which in fact the script deleted before. This error does not happen with the stage3 I'm currently using, but this variability worries me... I really hope that emerging a musl hardened profile with musl vanilla stage3 will not result in errors...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 456 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,138 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,923 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,982 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,001 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,933 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,328 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,426 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 608 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  OpenCL on pinebook Pro Bram 2 909 06-30-2023, 08:50 PM
Last Post: scurrvy2020