Question to anyone with entire system on NVMe
How did you do it ?

Edit: to be more specific - how did you transfer the system to nvme ?
I just followed the guide to update spi flash and then copied Linux to nvme. Then I wiped Linux on emmc, because emmc still has a booting priority.
(01-08-2020, 09:15 AM)Wizzard Wrote: I just followed the guide to update spi flash and then copied  Linux to nvme. Then I wiped Linux on emmc, because emmc still has a booting priority.
So you flashed SPI and then dd  emmc to nvme ? Or you have created partitions on nvme and copied just data ?
I dont remember exactly if I dd copied whole drive from emmc to nvme or just dd the new Linux image, I think the first option, but both should work.
(01-08-2020, 08:12 AM)as400 Wrote: How did you do it ?

Still booting from emmc, but I rsync'd the root filesystem to nvme. So basically, past the initial kernel load, the system switches over to nvme.

You will have to label your partitions and filesystems, and edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf so that in the append section you mount the correct root fs. Also, you will probably need to update /etc/fstab in the nvme so that it mounts the correct root, home, and whatever mount points you want loaded from nvme.

Not 100% nvme boot, but the initial overhead is acceptable. It would be nice to have console display at the bootloader level, but I'd say it is good enough for me Smile
@Kicou thanks. What nvme drive do you have ?
(01-09-2020, 04:13 PM)as400 Wrote: @Kicou thanks. What nvme drive do you have ?

01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: ADATA Technology Co., Ltd. XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (rev 03)

I have an XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB (M.2 2280)

Bought it in November and was waiting for a fixed version of the ribbon cable but I couldn't wait anymore and installed the drive two weeks ago.

I have shifted the location of the M.2 adapter and am not using the standoff screw to avoid interfering with the touchpad. I happen to have double-sided adhesive tape available that is for electronic devices (the very thin type that would be used in phones) and I used that to secure the drive to the adapter. The ribbon connector is a bit warped but I tried to avoid making any hard kinks. Seems to be working so far and the kludgy setup is invisible once the bottom cover is back on.
(01-08-2020, 08:12 AM)as400 Wrote: How did you do it ?

There are a few persons who have successfully gotten their Pinebook Pro's to boot from the NVMe SSD drive,

I believe they flashed the SPI module.

The PBP is a rather 'low powered' laptop,  so using the eMMC to boot, then running from the NVMe means running
     both of these drives.

Running both drives may greatly reduce the 'run time' between charging it.

I myself prefer to use just the eMMC as it draws less power  AND  I do not need to charge it very often.
    The eMMC delivers fast enough speeds for my uses.

IF you need the faster speeds,  It would make sense to eliminate the eMMC and boot from the SPI,
   then run from the NVMe drive....  remove the eMMC from your board completely...

IF you 'Dig' around this forum,  you can find some persons have actually done this,  it does take a bit
     of skill and time,  you may find it worth your while.

IF  I was to consider it,  I would like to see it slightly more proven and simplified....
          I just purchased a recent copy of ' Linux for Dummy's '
            I have been using Linux for a long time, but I am still not good with terminal and such.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I am thinking that a large+fast sd card will be a better option for most people than nvme... Samsung Evo Plus 256GB or 512GB is U3, and is pretty cost effective.

let the brave folks collect comparative data...

installation, power, encryption, ease of use, etc.
Yes, on the ease of installation,

but the other $64 dollar question ?

How do the Bus connection speeds compare ?
Not what the manufactor lists for speeds, but the actual speed that it communicates with the board.

You may be able to get an idea on paper, but of course actual performance tests would probably be the best test.

The NVMe would likely move the most data the quickest, but draining the battery quite a bit faster than the other two.

The SD card and the eMMC would both improve on The NVMe for power useage.

I think the eMMC 'may' have the edge over the SD on the bus speed, I could be wrong there.

Possibly using both would work nicely together, while still using less power than the NVMe.

But still giving up a bit of the speed of the NVMe.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation 'failed to open panfrost' after system update using archarm Puckla 1 211 03-01-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Puckla
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Issue with booting Manjaro from encrypted NVMe drive on pbp Cs137 1 905 08-18-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: juliamenendez
  NVME fails detection our0 1 745 01-30-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Is anyone successfully running guix system on PBP bluekeys 8 7,767 08-29-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: bluekeys
  what is the magic dd incantation to copy the system from the sd card to the emmc? geokon 18 8,773 08-18-2022, 11:26 PM
Last Post: calinb
Bug Pinebook Pro NVME stopped working secretagentdude 4 5,244 12-17-2021, 06:23 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
  NVMe timeout when booting from eMMC but not SD satwell 5 5,414 10-29-2021, 07:41 AM
Last Post: psstoev
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,376 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Managing cpu voltage and clock speeds question. FeMike 5 6,173 05-24-2021, 10:17 PM
Last Post: generaleramon