[daniel-thompson/pinebook-pro-debian-installer] Upgrade to Debian unstable?
I've installed Debian testing (bullseye) from Daniel Thompson's unofficial Debian installer:
https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...-installer

Does it work to upgrade this to unstable?  I see the installer installs a Kernel from a "Debian_Testing" folder at the OpenSuse build service, and there is also a "Debian_Unstable" folder in the same location.  But I don't know whether this will be sufficient.

If it works to upgrade, how would I go about it?  Just the normal process of updating the sources list and then "apt full-upgrade"?  Or are there special steps?
(01-06-2020, 08:52 AM)hibbelig Wrote: I've installed Debian testing (bullseye) from Daniel Thompson's unofficial Debian installer:
https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...-installer

Does it work to upgrade this to unstable?  I see the installer installs a Kernel from a "Debian_Testing" folder at the OpenSuse build service, and there is also a "Debian_Unstable" folder in the same location.  But I don't know whether this will be sufficient.

If it works to upgrade, how would I go about it?  Just the normal process of updating the sources list and then "apt full-upgrade"?  Or are there special steps?

I assume that this should work as expected. The kernel and headers would be excluded by a regular apt-get dist upgrade, after changing sources.list I think.

The best course would be to test this on a separate SD card, and then detail your experience for the community on Daniel's original thread. Then you could repro what works on your main install.

I'd do this myself, but I'm still anticipating delivery of my PBP!
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
(01-06-2020, 09:45 AM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: I assume that this should work as expected. The kernel and headers would be excluded by a regular apt-get dist upgrade, after changing sources.list I think.

The best course would be to test this on a separate SD card, and then detail your experience for the community on Daniel's original thread. Then you could repro what works on your main install.

I've gone through the process and it worked nicely.

Because releases other than sid have "-proposed-updates" and "-security" and "-backports", but sid has none of these, I commented out those lines in "sources.list".  So the bottom line was that there are now only two active lines in my sources:

Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/danielthompson/Debian_Unstable ./

Of course, the first line was from "/etc/apt/sources.list" and the second line was from the extra file that Daniel's installer created.

"apt full-upgrade" wanted to update about 175 packages, it seemed to be fairly safe.  System is back running as normal.

Of course, I advise to make a backup, even though I didn't do that because there is no personal data on this thing -- I could just reinstall using Daniel's installer and I would lose very little.

Hm. I see that I do get some errors on upgrading packages:

Code:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64
find: ‘/lib/modules/5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64/kernel/arch/*/crypto’: No such file or directory

The second line is printed multiple times.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I thought to mention it.  @danielt what do you think?
(01-06-2020, 03:24 PM)hibbelig Wrote: Hm. I see that I do get some errors on upgrading packages:

Code:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64
find: ‘/lib/modules/5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64/kernel/arch/*/crypto’: No such file or directory

The second line is printed multiple times.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I thought to mention it.  @danielt what do you think?

Those errors are harmless (and occur on bullseye as well).

The crypto support in the custom kernel is built into the image but with a "real" Debian kernel they would be modules. I think some of the Debian LUKS support code automatically asks for the crypto modules in the initramfs (otherwise it would not be possible to encrypt the rootfs).
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(01-06-2020, 03:24 PM)hibbelig Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 09:45 AM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: I assume that this should work as expected. The kernel and headers would be excluded by a regular apt-get dist upgrade, after changing sources.list I think.

I've gone through the process and it worked nicely.

Because releases other than sid have "-proposed-updates" and "-security" and "-backports", but sid has none of these, I commented out those lines in "sources.list".  So the bottom line was that there are now only two active lines in my sources:

Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/danielthompson/Debian_Unstable ./

Of course, the first line was from "/etc/apt/sources.list" and the second line was from the extra file that Daniel's installer created.

"apt full-upgrade" wanted to update about 175 packages, it seemed to be fairly safe.  System is back running as normal.
< SNIP >
Fantastic! I'm glad this worked, as it ought to. I'm still awaiting my PBP delivery, so I've had to rely on what I read in these forums, along with my Debian/Ubuntu experience over the years.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,117 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,917 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,633 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 993 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,828 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,029 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,925 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80