Poor Laggy YouTube Performance
I've tried Android, Debian, and RemixOS and Youtube videos are unwatchable even at 720p. 

I checked the temps they were at 80c+, I thought maybe it's throttling it due to high temps so I installed 2 heat sinks and a fan. That lowered it to 50-60c but lag is still there.

Anyone is able to run Youtube videos smoothly?

Pine 64 1GB
32gb Samsung Pro SDHC card 90mb/s read 80mb/s write
Apple 12w 2.4A adapter
Dell 1080p monitor
(05-01-2016, 03:06 AM)Beryllium Wrote: I've tried Android, Debian, and RemixOS and Youtube videos are unwatchable even at 720p. 

I checked the temps they were at 80c+, I thought maybe it's throttling it due to high temps so I installed 2 heat sinks and a fan. That lowered it to 50-60c but lag is still there.

Anyone is able to run Youtube videos smoothly?

Pine 64 1GB
32gb Samsung Pro SDHC card 90mb/s read 80mb/s write
Apple 12w 2.4A adapter
Dell 1080p monitor

Didn't notice a problem on Android, but I have the 2GB model. Netflix and Kodi run smoothly as well. I wasn't so lucky on any Linux distribution though (lack of hardware decoding I guess).
I also have a heatsink on the chip, but no fan, so I don't think the temperature is the problem (which you confirmed anyways). My SD card is slower as well.
Don't have a good idea from the top of my head right now. Maybe it's just the 1 GB of ram :\
From what I seen it never reached full 1GB Ram, It was at about 500-700MB.
(05-01-2016, 03:06 AM)Beryllium Wrote: Samsung Pro SDHC card 90mb/s read 80mb/s write

Why do you think it's relevant to cite speed ratings written on the packaging of your SD card?

Sequential write/read performance is irrelevant, random I/O matters, fake cards exist, slow cards cause troubles.
(05-01-2016, 03:43 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 03:06 AM)Beryllium Wrote: Samsung Pro SDHC card 90mb/s read 80mb/s write

Why do you think it's relevant to cite speed ratings written on the packaging of your SD card?

Sequential write/read performance is irrelevant, random I/O matters, fake cards exist, slow cards cause troubles

Because I know there would be someone like you that would complain I have cheap and slow SD card. I can't test random I/O because I don't have USB 3 card reader. It's not fake.

http://www.amazon.com/review/reviews-lig...B00IVPU6AU

This good enough?
Shouldn't be a problem on Android and Remix OS ... but there is not hw acceleration on Linux (at least yet).
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-01-2016, 04:05 AM)Beryllium Wrote: It's not fake.

LOL!

(05-01-2016, 07:22 AM)Luke Wrote: but there is not hw acceleration on Linux (at least yet).

Why do you spread wrong information. We have both 2D and video decoding fully HW accelerated (Mali support is missing but that's not that important). The problem is that the Pine64 folks only feature crappy OS images that make not use of the developer's work: Please read through http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...97#pid7797 for an explanation.
So what OS do you recommend, I'm not maxing out my ram, if it's my SD card is slow which one should I get or what random I/O speeds am I aiming for? Maybe I have defective board or I haven't turned on HW acceleration? Cpu is not at full load at all times when watching video, and it does get to 1152mhz.  

I bought my SD card at Frys, in genuine package, really doubt it's counterfeit, I loaded 25gb files in to it with no problems.

Also shouldn't it matter how fast the SD card is? Since it loads it to ram and it doesn't use virtual memory. Right now I'm on Debian, using 465mb while watching 360p video its still very choppy. All CPU cores are under 50% usage. Debian has been working best of all 3 OS I tried. Remix OS would have problem going full screen and has problems loading video sometimes. Android was just as laggy unless using mobile YouTube but it's very low quality.
(05-01-2016, 10:16 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 04:05 AM)Beryllium Wrote: It's not fake.

LOL!

(05-01-2016, 07:22 AM)Luke Wrote: but there is not hw acceleration on Linux (at least yet).

Why do you spread wrong information. We have both 2D and video decoding fully HW accelerated (Mali support is missing but that's not that important). The problem is that the Pine64 folks only feature crappy OS images that make not use of the developer's work: Please read through http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...97#pid7797 for an explanation.

My comment was directed at answering his question about watching YouTube vids; I didn't mean to say that we completely have no hw acceleration. He is clearly asking about watching YouTube videos (in a browser I presume) - not local vids using a player.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Just ran a test....
[Image: CXJE2Kh.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPIO performance sgjava 0 1,463 10-08-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: sgjava
  Bus Performance JCMPine64 2 3,966 01-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Last Post: JCMPine64