Multiboot SD card
I have a 128GB Micro SD card and would like to use it to boot multiple OSs. It will save time from retracting and replacing SD cards  and of course save the sd card reader from being damaged.

I found an old raspberry pi post regarding something similar...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-ins...pberry-pi/

Does anyone know a solution for this for the Pinebook?

Thanks
There’s not currently an option to use anything like the OS selection at boot. There has been discussions concerning this, though.
take a look at the implementation of Petitboot on Odroid N1
I am able to reboot to a different partition by editing the configuration file in "/boot". The name and path escape me, and I can't boot up my Pinebook Pro right now, (PBP is fine, the desk space is occupied by old laptop chugging away at an update...)

Basically you:
- Have a more recent update to U-Boot, which prefers SD cards over eMMC
- Make 2 or more OS partitions on your SD card, each having "/etc/fstab" correctly mouting their own "/" root file system
- If you want to boot an off-line OS, edit the "/boot/x/x" file so reference the new OS partition
- Reboot

And there you have it. Clumsey, but doable.

A few gotchas. U-Boot may reference the OS by LABEL or GUID, (I can't remember which). So each root FS should have a unique LABEL and GUID. Next, make sure if you use LABELs or GUIDs to mount your root FS in "/etc/fstab", it references the correct partition's OS. Last, again make sure any LABELs and GUID are not used by the eMMC.

The biggest reason I do this, is for updates. Back in the bad old days before OpenZFS or BTRFS, I used 2 same sized partitions for my OS. The other non-OS files systems were elsewhere, (like "/home" or "/media"). So 25GB might be enough. Then when I wanted to update, I cloned the currently booted OS to the off line partition, with something like Rsync. Modified the copies' "/etc/fstab", and anything else needed. Changed Grub to prefer the newly copied OS. A simple reboot tested my cloned OS, which I then could update safely.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Hey Thanks Arwen!

I'm having some teething problems with my PBP at the moment so i'm unable to look into this, but i will update as soon I get around to it  when am back up and running.

PreMis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Manjaro] u-boot won't boot from eMMC with (unbootable) SD card present zackw 1 1,853 08-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  2TB SD Card Write Errors jiacovelli 3 961 06-02-2023, 06:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Bootloader: SD card boot quirks crazyquark 1 1,000 10-04-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: elitegamercody
  Unable to make a bootable microSD card myself600 15 5,155 09-27-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: myself600
  what is the magic dd incantation to copy the system from the sd card to the emmc? geokon 18 8,776 08-18-2022, 11:26 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Debian/unstable SD card rescue image vajak 4 3,870 10-28-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: vajak
  PBP won't boot from eMMC or SD card: a saga archaicmeander 18 14,162 02-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: wdt
  UBOOT - Mainline not booting from SD card / BSP OK Anarethos 1 2,870 01-10-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Anarethos
  Making an SD card bootable bero 1 2,470 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Debian (or ubuntu) on a micro sd card (pinebook pro) pine76 28 35,490 09-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: pine76