Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native)
(07-12-2020, 04:54 AM)brzegorz Wrote: I don't; )
Strange, and what version of MyGUI are you linking it against ? I have tried a bunch - some versions work better with openmw some don't - there is a whole thread on the openmw forum about this.
For me its always a crash when in fullscreen - exiting the Imperial ship , when playing in 1280x1024 windowed mode it works and I can exit.
However when I compiled OpenMW on Manjaro (latest release) it always crashes on exiting the imperial ship no matter the settings I use.

So it would definitely help to understand what happens here - works for me is no good input here Im afraid.

Thx !
Here is the order I followed to get halflife1 running on the pinebook pro.

I tried multiple ways, but this was the most stable.

A tip, do not use the flashlight. (buggie)

You can put the "code-block" below in a file, e.g. create_hl.sh

It will give you halflife (xash3d) in the dir ~ / hl you can then start halflife with "xash3d.sh"

I've had 3 crashes before "the explosion" happened. So be warned

Code:
mkdir ~/hl

#COPY your "valve" folder from (windows or linux system steam/cd install) to ~/hl/valve
#on steam it is $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Half-Life/

# create re-writen hl-engine.
git clone --recursive https://github.com/FWGS/xash3d-fwgs.git
cd xash3d-fwgs
git checkout tags/v0.20
git submodule update

./waf configure -T release --prefix ~/out
./waf build
./waf install

cd ..

cp ~/out/lib/xash3d/* ~/hl/

# create hl-sdk (improved).
git clone https://github.com/FWGS/hlsdk-xash3d.git
cd hlsdk-xash3d
./waf configure -T release
./waf build

cp build/cl_dll/*.so ~/hl/valve/cl_dlls
cp build/dlls/*.so ~/hl/valve/dlls

cd ~/hl

# get a startup script from a older re-writen engine. (stil works)
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FWGS/xash3d/master/scripts/xash3d.sh

# make it executable.
chmod +x xash3d.sh
The future is here! ARM laptops!
I got 0ad to run by installing the Manjaro flatpak and enabling GLSL in the settings (crashed without it for whatever reason), as well as turning down as many settings as I could. Unfortunately, it runs at 10-12 FPS. Wonder if OC'ing the GPU an extra 150Mhz will help Smile But I think I'll just wait for a userspace utility to change clocks. Recompiling the kernel to get an extra 2 FPS doesn't sound that fun (to me)
(07-14-2020, 12:18 PM)mangofett Wrote: I got 0ad to run by installing the Manjaro flatpak and enabling GLSL in the settings (crashed without it for whatever reason), as well as turning down as many settings as I could. Unfortunately, it runs at 10-12 FPS. Wonder if OC'ing the GPU an extra 150Mhz will help Smile But I think I'll just wait for a userspace utility to change clocks. Recompiling the kernel to get an extra 2 FPS doesn't sound that fun (to me)
Im afraid 0ad needs a good GPU to be playable - but still good to see that is it runnable ! I will try to build it from source again on Ubuntu 20.04 aarch64 (last time I tried on Manjaro it did not build)
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 via https://openrct2.org/ runs great.
Serious Sam TSE runs surprisly well with a lot of fps https://github.com/Croteam-official/Serious-Engine
Renpy games, just install renpy and run renpy directory/of/the/game even if the game does not have aarch64 compiled binaries (only the "game" subdir is needed)
And an emulationstation with retroarch bsnes2014_performance, genesis_plus_gx, caprice32, scummvm. For dos games, i use dosbox-staging wich is the fastest i found for playing on my pbp.
(07-12-2020, 07:44 AM)astr0baby Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 04:54 AM)brzegorz Wrote: I don't; )
Strange, and what version of MyGUI are you linking it against ? I have tried a bunch - some versions work better with openmw some don't - there is a whole thread on the openmw forum about this.
For me its always a crash when in fullscreen - exiting the Imperial ship , when playing in 1280x1024 windowed mode it works and I can exit.
However when I compiled OpenMW on Manjaro (latest release) it always crashes on exiting the imperial ship no matter the settings I use.

So it would definitely help to understand what happens here - works for me is no good input here Im afraid.

Thx !

I've used bullet 2.89-2(I think from Manjaro repo), openscenegraph 3.6.5-1(also Manjaro Repo, I think). I'm less sure about mygui - it's either Mygui 3.2.2, which I think was recommended in the thread you've mentioned, or static build bundled with Openmw(I have MYGUI_STATIC flag ticked). Both 0.46 and dev version from Sat Jun 27 01:20:57 worked good, though I didn't check for the crash in the 0.46. I've the dev version in fullscreen 1920x1080(actually, only possible fullscreen resolution*)

*Unless you can use some sorcery like integer scaling through xrandr to render in lower resolution and upscale to 1920x1080. Actually, that'd be a cool thing to check - it's possible that some games could get an FPS boost that way. Maybe we could have Doom3 at 10 fps xD.**

**I've done a quick check. On Xorg, do:
> xrandr --output eDP-1 --scale 0.5x0.5 --filter nearest
Openmw get's a noticable performance boost. In Seyda neen, one of the bad areas, it means getting from 15-20 to ~25-30. While still quite low, it's a night and day difference. I'm talking about all settings as low as they can be set. Scale 0.25x0.25 doesn't seem to be as impactful - maybe CPU chokes on physics and loading objects. Additional good thing is that nearest neighbour filter is used instead of some polynomial one, so the game stays crisp instead of blurred.
Anyone have any luck getting Ion Fury running with eduke32? I know it can run as I've done it on a standard non-arm laptop running Ubuntu 20.04. I have the necessary files in place (fury.grp, fury.grpinfo, fury.def. When I run ./eduke32 -gamegrp fury.grp  getting Error compiling CON files.
(07-24-2020, 02:10 PM)cygnusx1 Wrote: Anyone have any luck getting Ion Fury running with eduke32? I know it can run as I've done it on a standard non-arm laptop running Ubuntu 20.04. I have the necessary files in place (fury.grp, fury.grpinfo, fury.def. When I run ./eduke32 -gamegrp fury.grp  getting Error compiling CON files.
Same here - no luck with Ion Fury (I have read somewhere that only the very early version of Ion Fury works with eduke32 not the current ones)
so if you can get hold of the earlier mods then you should try those.
The precompiled ARM binaries for the new fHeroes2 release work fine on Manjaro (after installing some SDL2 libs):
https://github.com/ihhub/fheroes2
(the demo installer script doesn't work, but look at the script where to download the data files manually)
Alien vs. Predator works and runs really well on Pinebookpro (Ubuntu 20.04)
https://twitter.com/astr0baby/status/128...6263588864

https://github.com/neuromancer/avp

Just make sure you get the correct game data for the AVP Gold (the AVP 2000 game data do not work)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 584,712 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,237 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 375 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 279 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 270 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 205 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 232 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 635 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 705 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,477 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786