M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage?
Hello,
can i bulid in a 512GByte SSD in the Pinebook Pro? What is the mac. size of a SSD?

Best Regards
weakbit
512 shouldn't be an issue. A few people here have already reported 512s that work well. I tried to find the GDoc with the verified working models, but I don't have time to dig deep enough for it. If you search the wiki, you should find a page about working accessories with the link.

I don't believe there's been any indication of a maximum size, yet.
(01-01-2020, 01:59 PM)weakbit Wrote: Hello,
can i bulid in a 512GByte SSD in the Pinebook Pro? What is the mac. size of a SSD?

Best Regards
weakbit

I have not seen any issues with the size of the added M.2/PCIe SSD's,  However the PBP is a low powered laptop, And,
    Many have had issues with their SSD's drawing too much power,  Some did not boot at all, while some suffer fast battery draining.

There is a power limiting option available for 'some' of the SSD's, that is posted in the Wiki.

IF you are new to the forum,  There are a few hurdles you may encounter when installing an PCIe SSD into your PBP.

1) The physical installation,  there has been a few different approaches that have succeeded, but it would be a good idea to read those posts
            for some insights.

2)  The software end has also been a bit of a challenge as well.
               IF you just want your SSD as a storage device,  that is fairly simple.
               IF you wish to boot from the SSD,  that is a little more work,  not just plug & play.
                 I have seen two different successful approaches, 
                     one starts the boot sequence from the eMMC drive, then finish booting from the SSD.
                    The other is a bit more complex,    setting it up to boot directly from the PCIe/SSD.

Most of that is in the Wiki,  though looking through the forum could definitely help. 

Too much to just list in a single post, we have been discussing this for a while.

It can be done, several forum members have done it.

I hope this helps,   Not quite as simple as installing into your AMD/Intel computer.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-01-2020, 07:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 01:59 PM)weakbit Wrote: Hello,

Best Regards
weakbit

I have not seen any issues with the size of the added M.2/PCIe SSD's,  However the PBP is a low powered laptop, And,
    Many have had issues with their SSD's drawing too much power,  Some did not boot at all, while some suffer fast battery draining.

There is a power limiting option available for 'some' of the SSD's, that is posted in the Wiki.

IF you are new to the forum,  There are a few hurdles you may encounter when installing an PCIe SSD into your PBP.

1) The physical installation,  there has been a few different approaches that have succeeded, but it would be a good idea to read those posts
            for some insights.

2)  The software end has also been a bit of a challenge as well.
               IF you just want your SSD as a storage device,  that is fairly simple.
               IF you wish to boot from the SSD,  that is a little more work,  not just plug & play.
                 I have seen two different successful approaches, 
                     one starts the boot sequence from the eMMC drive, then finish booting from the SSD.
                    The other is a bit more complex,    setting it up to boot directly from the PCIe/SSD.

Most of that is in the Wiki,  though looking through the forum could definitely help. 

Too much to just list in a single post, we have been discussing this for a while.

It can be done, several forum members have done it.

I hope this helps,   Not quite as simple as installing into your AMD/Intel computer.

Thank you for answering my questions.
I would like to install a M.2 SSD with 500GB thats it. I would like to boot from eMMC - well it is slow but after loading the Kernel into the RAM all executions will occur inside the RAM. Maybe it is a speed limit but i listen to the forum and read about speed shrinking etc. But the reason is that they don't use a 8Core etc. That is not so sad for me. Reagards weakbit
(01-01-2020, 07:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote:                     The other is a bit more complex,    setting it up to boot directly from the PCIe/SSD.

I noticed last night that the wiki is still pretty outdated in terms of direct NVMe boot. Almost every page I saw while looking for the working accessories page listed NVMe booting as current impossibility, or only mentioned hosting /root on the drive. No mention yet of the patched u-boot (Arglebargle's, I think?) that puts the NVMe into the boot order after SD and eMMC.

With the 2 available u-boot update scripts, it's incredibly easy to get going.

I'll try to add the info to the wiki if I have time today, but if anyone beats me to it that'd be cool, too.

The information has been added to the main wiki page. There are conflicting reports as to the boot order for the modified u-boot. If anyone is using it, please confirm whether the boot order is SD>eMMC>NVMe or SD>NVMe>eMMC and update the wiki accordingly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 667 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  Maximum storage capacity zxorg 4 4,938 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Arwen