Welcome letter - feedback welcome
Hi all,

We'll be including a 'welcome' letter - or perhaps more accurately a 'getting started' letter - with future Pinebook Pro shipments. Here are the contents, let me know if I missed something:

Quote:Dear Piner,

Congratulations on your new Pinebook Pro! The Pinebook Pro has been created in conjunction with our community of developers and end-users like yourself. 

Our community maintains a well documented Wiki found on wiki.pine64.org. The Pinebook Pro Wiki section includes information about troubleshooting, available OSs, hardware disassembly, NVMe installation and compatibility, activation of privacy switches, the PCB layout as well as many other aspects of your device. Make sure to consult it regularly and contribute to it in any way you see fit. 

Anyone with a PINE64 forum account (forums.pine64.org) can contribute to the Wiki.      

Here are a few things to get you started: 
To power on your Pinebook Pro long-press the power button. On initial boot you’ll see a custom Debian PINE64 splash screen, after which the Pinebook Pro will reboot itself. This only occurs upon initial startup. We suggest that you do not plug in any external USB peripherals (USB-C docks, SSD/HDDs, mice, etc.,) on the first boot. Once the Pinebook Pro power cycles, you’ll be greeted with a LightDM login screen. 

The default operating system is Debian with a stylized MATE desktop 
The default login credentials are: rock / rock 

You can find out more information about the default Debian build on our forums - the thread is found in the Pinebook Pro section -> General Discussion on the Pinebook Pro -> Default OS update log. 

This thread also provides information on how to update the installation to newest version, change your username and home directory name, and lists all known bugs and improvements made to the system over time. 

Here is where you get help:
You are welcome to share your experience and ask any questions you may have on our forums and in the PINE64 community chats. The default OS comes with HexChat (IRC client) preinstalled that connects directly to our IRC server. Other chat options are also available and accessible via Forums and Chats drop-down on our main page (pine64.org). 

Have fun!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Excellent! Plenty of people have been a bit confused and sometimes ended up logging in as root and experiencing issues, so I'm sure this will be greatly appreciated. The only thing content-wise that pops out for me is again in the login credentials bit; a few people have been confused when being told to use rock/rock to login, so it might be worth it to explicitly express that the username is rock and the password is rock. Since root login is enabled as root/root, that could also be mentioned.

Less importantly, there are some minor changes I would make to improve readability and other corrections, e.g., wiki not being written with a capital W. I'll copy in the whole thing below with my suggested changes in colour, as that seems the easiest way to go about it.

Quote:Dear Piner,

Congratulations on your new Pinebook Pro! The Pinebook Pro has been created in conjunction with our community of developers and end-users like yourself. 

Our community maintains a well documented wiki found on wiki.pine64.org. The Pinebook Pro wiki section includes information about troubleshooting, available OSs, hardware disassembly, NVMe installation and compatibility, activation of privacy switches, the PCB layout, as well as many other aspects of your device. Make sure to consult it regularly and contribute to it in any way you see fit. 

Anyone with a PINE64 forum account (forums.pine64.org) can contribute to the wiki.      

Here are a few things to get you started: 
To power on your Pinebook Pro, long-press the power button. On initial boot you’ll see a custom Debian PINE64 splash screen, after which the Pinebook Pro will reboot itself. This only occurs upon initial startup. We suggest that you do not plug in any external USB peripherals (USB-C docks, SSD/HDDs, mice, etc.[removed comma]) on the first boot. Once the Pinebook Pro power cycles, you’ll be greeted with a LightDM login screen. 

The default operating system is Debian with a stylized MATE desktop.
Default username: rock
Default password: rock
Default root password: root

You can find out more information about the default Debian build on our forums - the thread is found in the Pinebook Pro section -> General Discussion on the Pinebook Pro -> Default OS update log. 

This thread also provides information on how to update the installation to the newest version, change your username and home directory name, and lists all known bugs and improvements made to the system over time. 

Here is where you get help:
You are welcome to share your experience and ask any questions you may have on our forums and in the PINE64 community chats. The default OS comes with HexChat (IRC client) preinstalled that connects directly to our IRC server. Other chat options are also available and accessible via the Forums and Chats drop-down on our main page (pine64.org). 

Have fun!

Increased the size of the added punctuation to make sure you don't miss it. Feel free to take issue with any of my suggested changes. :-)
also excellent idea.  since the pb-pro may be a gift to a neo-phite ..
maybe note to keep the power cord plugged in until the setup is finished
..  sounds obvious...  but some people want "instance" results
Dear Piner

should be

Dear Pine-o-neer
Phenomenal @ioo ! thank you so much and thank you for correcting my English!

@ac8dg you're right! I'll add the note about it.

@ioo, I agree, all good changes.

Perhaps whence this is done and the next batch sent out, the welcome letter can be put in GiHub so it's version controlled. Maybe limit the allowed commiters to the main Pine64 project team to begin with. In theory, the welcome letter can be put on the wiki, but I don't know how well it would print.

For me, I mostly either comment in Issues or Pull requests, or open Issues. Don't have the skill yet to create pull requests or commit changes.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
@Arwen yea, lets put it on the wiki. Perhaps on its own page? with a link to it on the main page? Alternatively, make a screenshot of it and plop it in as an image that can be expanded/ zoomed in on when clicked?

(12-17-2019, 07:48 AM)ioo Wrote: Less importantly, there are some minor changes I would make to improve readability and other corrections, e.g., wiki not being written with a capital W. I'll copy in the whole thing below with my suggested changes in colour, as that seems the easiest way to go about it.

Thanks, you beat me to it  Big Grin

Wiki can be written with a capital "W" with a definitive article as a name is a proper noun ("a wiki" vs. "the Wiki") for purposes of clarity.

"Our community maintains a well-documented wiki found on wiki.pine64.org. The Pinebook Pro Wiki section includes information about troubleshooting, available OSs, hardware disassembly, NVMe installation and compatibility, activation of privacy switches, the PCB layout, as well as many other aspects of your device. Make sure to consult it regularly and contribute to it as you see fit.

Anyone with a PINE64 forum account (forums.pine64.org) can contribute to the Wiki."

(12-17-2019, 12:27 PM)Luke Wrote: @Arwen yea, lets put it on the wiki. Perhaps on its own page? with a link to it on the main page? Alternatively, make a screenshot of it and plop it in as an image that can be expanded/ zoomed in on when clicked?

Perhaps a link to a pdf?
(12-17-2019, 03:20 PM)zaius Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 12:27 PM)Luke Wrote: @Arwen yea, lets put it on the wiki. Perhaps on its own page? with a link to it on the main page? Alternatively, make a screenshot of it and plop it in as an image that can be expanded/ zoomed in on when clicked?

Perhaps a link to a pdf?

The only issue I have with a PDF, is that we would then need a source document. LibreOffice can import PDFs, but we likely can't edit every last detail of a PDF. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

@Luke, perhaps if we make a wiki page out of it, printing from the wiki might work out. I know in some cases it's possible to print a single frame of a web page. If we can do that, any change to the wiki page can be caught up next print run / PBP buld. Plus, the wiki has history.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(12-17-2019, 04:23 PM)Arwen Wrote: The only issue I have with a PDF, is that we would then need a source document. LibreOffice can import PDFs, but we likely can't edit every last detail of a PDF. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Anything can be edited.  The Wiki already uses pdf for documents written by Pine.  Although its markup is simple enough that any number of file types would work.  So when it's printed it looks something like the letter that comes in the box.

How often is this letter going to need to be re-written?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started getting a lot of double letter input when typing. tyerod 6 5,017 06-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro feedback after a month nbxmike 2 3,296 07-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro ANSI keyboard - feedback please! Luke 42 58,114 12-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Last Post: jones