No sound....
Been away from the PBP for a few weeks.

Did the latest update to the Debian standard OS. Now, no sound.

Tried everything, but it's simply gone. Think I've had some sort of failure?

Also, I'm becoming less thrilled with micro SD slot. Too difficult to install and remove the card, PLUS my SanDisk 64GB card has failed... Could it be the card reader?

Thanks! :-)
Welcome Back !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
You've mentioned that you tried everything, but you didn't say what exactly you did. You might have luck providing more details. For example, have you checked that pulse audio (pavucontrol) is set to output to speaker instead of HDMI or vice-versa? If one of the audio devices has inadvertently been muted in the pulse settings or set to the fallback rather than the main, you could easily experience loss of audio. Also relevant are how you are playing audio, through what application or service. CLI audio players may be configured for different output than, GUI ones, and media library applications such as XBMC (KODI) could differ even further. Even the output of dmesg could even give you clues. Tongue I once found that I lost audio entirely on a device when I tried to use a supported 5.1 channel audio setup for example, while a 7.1 setup worked as the 5.1 should have. Again, knowing nothing about what you're experiencing nor what you've tried is terribly limiting, even for a rando such as myself to even begin to suggest things. The developers of the hardware and software will be similarly encumbered to even begin to assist you, save for some random audio related bug report that I'm unaware of. ^_^
(12-15-2019, 09:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Welcome Back  !

Thank You & Glad to be here, Thank YOU!!!! :-)

(12-15-2019, 11:28 PM)hikaricore Wrote: You've mentioned that you tried everything, but you didn't say what exactly you did. You might have luck providing more details. For example, have you checked that pulse audio (pavucontrol) is set to output to speaker instead of HDMI or vice-versa? If one of the audio devices has inadvertently been muted in the pulse settings or set to the fallback rather than the main, you could easily experience loss of audio. Also relevant are how you are playing audio, through what application or service. CLI audio players may be configured for different output than, GUI ones, and media library applications such as XBMC (KODI) could differ even further. Even the output of dmesg could even give you clues.  Tongue  I once found that I lost audio entirely on a device when I tried to use a supported 5.1 channel audio setup for example, while a 7.1 setup worked as the 5.1 should have. Again, knowing nothing about what you're experiencing nor what you've tried is terribly limiting, even for a rando such as myself to even begin to suggest things. The developers of the hardware and software will be similarly encumbered to even begin to assist you, save for some random audio related bug report that I'm unaware of.  ^_^

Thanks for your reply & patience! :-)
My frustration lead to the broad question....

I originally found the problem when trying to hear a YouTube video. Both on Chromium and Firefox. And just now tried a an mp3 with VLC and no problem. Sound. Through the speakers.

As for detail, I checked everything (Sound configuration including Pulse volume control) and all are set to "es8316....". I see some activity on the meter below. Just no sound. Haven't checked the headphone jack. Didn't think that was necessary...Maybe I should.....

Does this help at all? Thanks!
Just tried testing the speakers using the command center, sound option. No sound and I tried every possible combination of choices. Clearly something is wrong. Could there be some sort interference of programs?

My Ubuntu 18.04 MATE spin on the micro SD card, which is now corrupted (very strange), so I'll try another when time permits.

Will let you all know how it goes....when time permits.....:-)
For some unknown reason, while reading another "no sound" post, I tried YouTube again and the sound WORKS!?!?!

Far as I know, I DID NOTHING that caused a change from no sound to sound.......

I'll keep digging...Thanks! :-)
Don't worry, same here, tried to test speakers from sound center, nothing emitted. Yet works from Firefox.
(12-17-2019, 08:50 AM)Kochise Wrote: Don't worry, same here, tried to test speakers from sound center, nothing emitted. Yet works from Firefox.

Many Thanks for the feedback!

Kind of a screwy thing for me as it seemed NOT to work in Firefox, then did. With no apparent effort on my part...:-)
YEP, Same thing for me.
Under the 'Test Speaker' App, I did not get any Sound, but 'trying' it on YouTube it Did work..?
Though the videos worked, some of the 'Ads' did not, ( not a huge deal for me) :-)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-19-2019, 04:17 PM)bcnaz Wrote: YEP,  Same thing for me.
Under the 'Test Speaker' App,  I did not get any Sound,  but 'trying' it on YouTube it Did work..?
Though the videos worked, some of the 'Ads'  did not, ( not a huge deal for me)  :-)

Me neither.

Can't say there wasn't some initial angst. Haven't had nearly the time I'd like to futz with it.

So guess an ongoing work in progress...:-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 751 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  alarming sound coming from pinebook pro jazzhands 2 1,535 08-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Last Post: foobar
  If booted with headphones in, sound comes from them and speakers stozi 6 5,365 06-11-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  No Sound on Default Manjaro KDE carlosqueso 4 5,008 04-01-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: carlosqueso
  Click or tick sound from right speaker Timpanogos Slim 0 2,028 06-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Timpanogos Slim
  no sound from firefox Uturn 2 3,614 03-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Sound driver 32bit sample format not working, some freezes and crashes through ALSA aeGh7fae 0 2,240 01-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: aeGh7fae
Sad New Pinebook Pro - no sound vve1505 9 12,740 01-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: chip ling
  No Sound, Non Root User deebeez 10 12,757 01-16-2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Sound Quit TonyK 5 6,625 01-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Last Post: tophneal